dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-05-24 14:45:19: France was one of the first countries to impose laws that require ISPs terminate the service of users who repeatedly engage in copyright infringement. ..

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

Campaign promise does not equal "set to dump"

Set to dump is way too strong considering it is only a campaign promise.. and about as likely as cleaning up the Tour De France.
jdjbuffalo
join:2004-01-17
Denver, CO

jdjbuffalo

Paying a Tax Because They Assume All/Most Are Criminals

If they are forcing people to pay a tax just because they think all/most will break the law then I think they are creating a self-fulling prophecy.

If I've got no choice but to pay a tax because they think I'm going to "steal" their content then I might as well do so. I'm already being forced to pay for it, so I might as well make the most out of it...

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

Accused of Copyright Infraction

"However, it's very clear that three strikes' shelf life appears to be limited -- as is the entertainment industry's long push to have repeat copyright offenders kicked off of the Internet."

Since the, if I remember correctly, the law does not require proof but only an accusation so that "repeat" should be "accused". Three claims gets you kicked off the Internet not three proven cases.
Expand your moderator at work
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to jdjbuffalo

Premium Member

to jdjbuffalo

Re: Paying a Tax Because They Assume All/Most Are Criminals

This is the main flaw with a "Piracy Tax" The moment internet service gains a "tax" that goes right to the IP rights holders they lose lots of ground in court battles because a defense lawyer could turn around and call the tax equal to payment of a license fee.