dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-06-05 17:52:25: We can't go more than a week now before someone proclaims that their set top box is the one that's going to revolutionize television. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Industry is too terrified...

..of any model they cant control.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

1 recommendation

Kamus

MS made a huge mistake with the x-box one.

The mistake to me is obvious. Users want to move away from huge cable bills. Netflix has made this obvious: people are more into "on demand" than paying for channels.
On demand is where it's at. this is where they could actually make something "revolutionary".
Everything I've seen assures me that this is the same crap we've had for decades, but "smarter".

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

newview

Premium Member

Goodbye Xbox

Hello PS4

#PS4NoDRM

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Yep, don't upset the apple cart,

even if the apples are rotting away.

CrowMag
join:2003-03-11
Boulder Creek, CA

CrowMag

What has revolutionized TV for me

Hooking up my laptop with HDMI. I can watch what I want when I want. Their are so many free streaming sites out there I never have any trouble finding what I want to watch for free. I have Comcast internet but dropped cable tv a long time ago.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Don't care!

Going to buy 4 when they come out.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Got disagree a bit

Things are SLOWLY changing. And if this has a 12 year lifecycle who knows what it can offer by then.

Let see many networks are now streaming their content live. Now true you still need a pay TV subscription, but it wasn't that long ago that even the though of offering live programming on the internet was major no no for them. Hell you could barely to get them to put programing the recently aired online. So things are slowly changing. Not as fast as we would like but there is change. Remember it took over a decade for them to embrace the VCR.

RRedline
Rated R
Premium Member
join:2002-05-15
USA

RRedline to Kamus

Premium Member

to Kamus

Re: MS made a huge mistake with the x-box one.

said by Kamus:

The mistake to me is obvious. Users want to move away from huge cable bills. Netflix has made this obvious: people are more into "on demand" than paying for channels.
On demand is where it's at. this is where they could actually make something "revolutionary".
Everything I've seen assures me that this is the same crap we've had for decades, but "smarter".

This isn't Microsoft's "mistake." It's the entertainment industry that is causing the transition to on-demand, streaming content to be slow and painful. We have the technology to do exactly what you (and I and most people) want, but you must have cooperation from those who hold the rights to the content that we want.
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0 to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: Industry is too terrified...

i am not even sure its that. they are scared of change because of the unknown. they know they are making money now but they cant see how much they might be making if they changed. bellow BF69 said it took them 10 years to accept the vcr. look how badly they fought that. how it was going to kill the theaters off. took them a long time to figure out they can make even more money with vhs and now dvds/blu ray. now there is a new way of doing things and they are worried about physical copies not that its just another way to make money.

unless someone comes in and offer to pay them off to allow change i dont see any that will change the system in a huge way. its going to take small steps over time.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

This overpriced remote is worse then anything Apple could...

ever try to do... Even if they went on a patent troll fest.

First, even though I hate Apple's patent trolling, I LOVE their products. This huge VCR is FUGLY.

Second, the 24 hour DRM? Kinect watching you? Used game DRM?

Lastly, it does everything your remote and smartphone does, only costs a lot more. The Wii U already does all you need with TVii.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to CrowMag

Premium Member

to CrowMag

Re: What has revolutionized TV for me

Yep, everyone who can should do so. I especially enjoy watching stuff from hulu (what little I watch there) on my HD-TV--bypassing their ludicrous restrictions (esp. using the Mute button on the TV remote). If you don't have it yet, you should consider getting the Logitech K400 keyboard (wireless w/mousepad)--makes a good additional remote. It's on sale at Best Buy (and other places I presume) this week for $10 off.

djd221
@charter.com

djd221

Anon

of course it will require a cable box

are people that blind to realize that every cable company is going all digital? the days of plugging a tv up to coax is dead. and people with satellite have been using a boxes for years.

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie

The Last Thing That 'Revolutionized TV' ...

was the remote control.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to djd221

Premium Member

to djd221

Re: of course it will require a cable box

yup, welcome back to the 80's,, i could care less if you need a box to get all the premiums, but basic tv subs shouldnt have to fork over yet more money to rent a box.. no, now if we could BUY the box's out of any ole walmart, or do rent to own and it work on any cable system. sure why not. but im not renting a box and basically paying for it 10X over they move all digital where im at, bye bye cable. hello antenna.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

Re: This overpriced remote is worse then anything Apple could...

said by Metatron2008:

ever try to do... Even if they went on a patent troll fest.

First, even though I hate Apple's patent trolling, I LOVE their products. This huge VCR is FUGLY.

Second, the 24 hour DRM? Kinect watching you? Used game DRM?

Lastly, it does everything your remote and smartphone does, only costs a lot more. The Wii U already does all you need with TVii.

The XBOne is only 13.5 inches wide, 10.4 inches deep and 3.2 inches high. That is the same depth as the 360 slim. Three inches wider than the 360 Slim and .25 inches taller that the 360 Slim. I would not call that a huge console.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas

Re: of course it will require a cable box

said by thedragonmas:

yup, welcome back to the 80's,, i could care less if you need a box to get all the premiums, but basic tv subs shouldnt have to fork over yet more money to rent a box.. no, now if we could BUY the box's out of any ole walmart, or do rent to own and it work on any cable system. sure why not. but im not renting a box and basically paying for it 10X over they move all digital where im at, bye bye cable. hello antenna.

IF all you want is just your locals and you live in an area that has good OTA reception of course it make sense to go with that. You'd be kind of dumb to pay for cable in that situation.

As far as the cost of the box you 10X remark is a little off I think. firstly Charter charges $6 per box. And if you could buy a box it would be around $300 or more. So it would take you 4 years to break even. So to pay 10X more would take 40 years.

Comcast I believe let people that just want locals to use what's called a DTA. They charge like $2 a month for those. now these are obviously much cheaper. But would still take at least 2 years to break even so to pay 10X as much would take 20 years at least.

Also you can say it so "mean of cable to charge for a box just for locals when getting locals from satellite, FiOS or U-verse also requires a box. Why are these company less mean?
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008

True, especially with the Kinect and Used games. This one is a loser. I have a 360 but I will NEVER buy this thing! Going to switch to PS4 or just skip consoles in favor of the PC in the future.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

The XBOne is only 13.5 inches wide, 10.4 inches deep and 3.2 inches high. That is the same depth as the 360 slim. Three inches wider than the 360 Slim and .25 inches taller that the 360 Slim. I would not call that a huge console.

The One is not much larger than the fat 360. And I am assuming the power supply is actually on the inside which means it actually takes up less space.

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

stet to Kamus

to Kamus

Until "on demand" and streaming reach the same quality level as broadcast I'm not going to bother.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to RRedline

to RRedline
said by RRedline:

This isn't Microsoft's "mistake."

I think it is. They are playing along instead of sticking to their guns. Cable Television is an obsolete technology. I guess you could argue they are doing this simply because they can.
And it's sort of a good argument, since from a technology perspective there's really not that much of a challenge in supporting cable TV.

The problem to me is that something better came along, and it's cheaper and superior in almost every way.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to Kamus

to Kamus
What people? You? a friend? Youre not reffering to the 100Million Pay TV subscribers in this country.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt

It's about the same size as the PS3 fat. And both consoles had curves while this is a big box, so in the end it's far bigger.
Metatron2008

Metatron2008 to FastEddie

Premium Member

to FastEddie

Re: The Last Thing That 'Revolutionized TV' ...

I think HDTV did that. It made everyone aware of how they look since you can see everything.

Lots of things changed when you can see people's nostrils...
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to FastEddie

to FastEddie
Microsoft cancelled the xbox family pack, and I have 6 extenders so that means they want me to go from paying $70 a year for 4 people in the fam (using discounts) to over $200 and locking it to consoles. Not.

So if they don't come out with a mini extender, bye. I mean they don't allow third party extenders w/ Windows 8 so that would be the only option otherwise they just nix media center.

So many stupid moves by Microsoft lately. I'm not investing another dime in their ecosystem until they reveal what all this bs is about or a clear plan emerges. If it boils down to monetiztion and DRM, then they are no better than the media goons, except they are now the gaming goons.

In that case hopefully Verizon gets their IP boxes out and I can call it a day, and MSFT can suck on it while I dump my xboxes and keep one for sentimental reasons so the kids can play on occasion. At this point a PC has way more power than any of these consoles and I can do whatever I want with it.

As to TV, they all suck. The only thing that evern comes close is the closed ATV or Roku. GTV, WTF google. They buy sage and it just disappears. They could have been selling DVR's and really crimping the cableco's style.

Oh and on demand is useless if I have to watch commercials. I dont watch commercials, and wont for the rest of my life. My kids don't even know what a commercial is and I like it that way.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

Xbox Lite?

It's rumored that Microsoft may have a few tricks up their sleeve to be unveiled at next week's E3 (like an "Xbox Lite" that plays videos but not games)...

Is it just me, or does that seem like the exact opposite of what a "lite" version of the Xbox should be?

That's like a "lite" car that does everything a normal car does, except move.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

It's about the same size as the PS3 fat. And both consoles had curves while this is a big box, so in the end it's far bigger.

Supposedly the PS3 Fat is .66 inches thicker.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Even if the dimensions are actually that, the Xbone will easily look bigger due to being a big box, while the PS3 looked like a.... George Foreman Grill
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to mgamer20o0

to mgamer20o0

Re: Industry is too terrified...

why can't we at least copy the Canadian systems and be able to buy the box with out the outlet or mirroring fees?
Joe12345678

Joe12345678 to Kamus

to Kamus

the Cable / sat Television system works good for live events / sports and news.
Joe12345678

Joe12345678 to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: The Last Thing That 'Revolutionized TV' ...

the cable co's really messed up cable card and some even do stuff to piss you off like high outlet fees and I think at least one system makes you rent the SDV tuner on top of the cable card rent.
page: 1 · 2 · next