spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-06-07 07:18:08: • Lightsquared: Broadband bankruptcy [nypost.com] • Slow deployment for TV Everywhere in the US [broadbandtvnews.com] • Games consoles take lead as TV-capable connected devices near 120 million mark [rapidtvnews. ..

whiteyonenh

join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

In other news...

ATT thinks you'll sign up for contract service, rather than head elsewhere, after you see how much of a better deal contract service is when compared to GoPhone. I'm not sure how many people don't look into other options, but honestly, people in my experience are pretty stupid when it comes to these things. Tell someone that Tracfone/StraightTalk/etc, uses ATT's or Verizon's network, and their eyes glaze over.

Some people will listen to reason that you can get decent service, without the price gouging of the major carriers, others will try to argue that ATT/Verizon's/etc service is somehow superior to a Tracfone or StraightTalk phone.

Interesting fact, StraightTalk/Tracfone/Net10, all use the ATT contract coverage map, which means they actually get more roaming coverage than ATT's own GoPhone service, as well as not having roaming charges, the same goes for Tracfone/Net10 on Verizon's network, versus most other Verizon prepaid services, whether from Verizon's prepaid arm, or another MVNO such as PagePlus Cellular, Tracfone/Net10 does not charge roaming charges, whereas the others on Verizon's network do.

StraightTalk on the Verizon network doesn't offer roaming at all, so go into a roaming area, you get no service, (911 still works in this case, most of the time, if there's any CDMA coverage in the area).

Ostracus

join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

NSA snooping.

I'm surprised there's not more outrage on the NSA spying. The bad thing (amongst many) is that there's more fuel for the "let someone else control the internet" because of this. Not to mention overseas routers are going to be set to disincentive US routes. Alternatives to the companies helping the US will spring up. Of course growth in encryption and personal servers is the immediate effect.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
Eh, we're OK with the government killing citizens without trial. No right to life, no right to anything.

XknightHawkX

join:2003-02-13
East Peoria, IL

Xbox One does need internet!!

Hmm do I need to worry about this? Nope. The newest gaming system I own is a PS2. Other then that I have my computer. But if I was planning on buying a new gaming system I wouldn't buy a system that requires the internet for me to play.

I don't play two games I bought digitally after running into the always on crap. Diablo 3 which in previews I thought would rock but that just turned in into a World Of Warcraft for single player. Medal Of Honor (2010) Would have been better if they would have let us have our own servers but they had to go the way of COD:MW. Now they decided to kill the MOH franchise cause they didn't think it was doing good anymore.

Stupid decisions in programing and running a company can cost you customers.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY
reply to Ostracus

Re: NSA snooping.

Sheep don't get outraged. As long as they can watch Amerikans Idle and have their Facedrool, they remain content.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by meeeeeeeeee:

Sheep don't get outraged. As long as they can watch Amerikans Idle and have their Facedrool, they remain content.

The NSA don't arrest people. All they do is collect info for the US spy agencies.
--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

RE:The iOS and Android Two-Horse Race

But Windows Phone is making steady increases and has become a legit 3rd place.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to whiteyonenh

Re: In other news...

I thought Straight Talk stopped selling AT&T SIMs a few months back because they started getting too expensive at wholesale. And AT&T has since dumped part of their share in Straight Talk's parent, America Movil. So Straight Talk is primarily Sprint + Verizon + T-Mobile now.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY
reply to FFH5

Re: NSA snooping.

said by FFH5:

The NSA don't arrest people. All they do is collect info for the US spy agencies.

Just curious... Where in this thread "NSA snooping" did ANYONE say ANYTHING about the NSA "arresting" ANYONE?
--
"when the people have suffered many abuses under the control of a totalitarian leader, they not only have the right but the duty to overthrow that government." - The U.S. Declaration of Independence

whiteyonenh

join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH
reply to iansltx

I was not aware that the ATT Sims were basically not available at all anymore on either StraightTalk or Net10 for BYOD unlimited plans. As recently as a week ago I looked on Net10's site and they still had them. Either way, the point still stands, there's many other MVNO's worth looking into that are cheaper and offer better customer service than ATT's GoPhone.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

AT&T GoPhone

I remember well the first time I switched my 2 yr expired contract to pay go because I liked the phone and not the bundle. I paid $50 so I would have a phone when I traveled. it didn't work. The jerk who lied to me laughed. I never used AT&T services again. Now I have a reconditioned LG GSM Tracfone with Windows that works well and fits blind-deaf needs. If you don't live on a cell phone it is a very good deal.

Neither Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, nor AT&T, work particularly well in US Cellular areas with no towers. None work very well in mountains, or where there is no service - not even 911. There are many of these areas in rural America.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to whiteyonenh

Well, yes. And you can get Straight Talk on AT&T by getting a GSM Straight Talk smartphone, as it turns out. But it looks like Tracfone is doing everything in their power to prevent you from buying an AT&T SIM kit from them.