dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-06-10 14:24:31: Hoping that everybody forgets about all the horrible things revealed about the Xbox One last week, Microsoft today officially unveiled more details about their next console today at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

was doing pretty good

until they said $499.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76

Re: was doing pretty good

I'll be waiting for the price to drop myself

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
I bet most families, i.e. casual gamers, will stick with their 360's and ps3's until there's a good sale or the price drops by at least $100.

Hardcore gamers will buy it price be damned.

The same goes for the PS4.

Like someone said earlier, when the PS3 was released the economy was in a better place as compared to nowadays.

Although, I bet Kmart and other places that layaway will probably sell out as families who can't afford the initial cost outright will put it on layaway and pay it off incrementally.

We'll see what the Christmas sales look like and get a good idea who won by then.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Economy must not suck too bad, Amazon has already sold out of launch day consoles within 24 hours.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

Brick & mortar numbers will tell the real tale.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Tale has already been told.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to 88615298

to 88615298
What was the xBox 360 when it came out? $399.99
What was the Kinect when it came out? $149.99 (guessing here, dont really recall but this came to mind)

We are actually saving $50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am speculating, but I am sure that is their reasoning behind the price.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Yeah but now I can buy a more powerful PC for $400 that will do circles around this box. I guess you could back then, but I picked up 3 xbox360slim for $125 refurbs that I use for extenders. No PC can match that price.

The mucky w/ XBG however is going to cause big problems for my 5 extenders...

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

Run circles around it? that's very doubtful you may be able to get a similarly specd machine and even that would be tough, but because of the nature of consoles and how they can develop specifically for that hardware, consoles games have always been able to get more performance out of hardware because they are developing for specific hardware. I was a PC gamer for a long time and you always need much faster pc hardware to get to the same graphics level as a console game.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to elefante72

to elefante72
No you can't. The graphics card alone to match what it can do would cost you $400 or more.

Not that I am agree with MS direction on this thing, but I'll call BS when it is clearly needed to be called.
kerya666
join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

kerya666 to 88615298

to 88615298
This thing was dead for me after intrusive DRM, anti-consumer options and no used-games market.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

until they said $499.

What you don't mind not being able to play used games? Come on man, get a grip!

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by spewak:

said by 88615298:

until they said $499.

What you don't mind not being able to play used games? Come on man, get a grip!

I don't have a problem with that especially since used games was a rarity for me. And especially with the XBOne you'll be able to install all games on the hard drive(and an external USB 3.0 hard drive) with no need to stick a disc in.

With the PS4 that will only be possible with games that were digital downloads. That is one thing I always hated, having to always carry a disc with me, even when the game was installed on the drive. But without DRM that is what has to be done.

But MS really needs to lower the price of the XBOne. They need to make some changes if they don't want the sales to be so lopsided in favor of the PS4.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

$500 for simcity drm, paid for exclusives, and tv tv tv tv?

What a deal!

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: $500 for simcity drm, paid for exclusives, and tv tv tv tv?

you forgot about sports sports sports.

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

1 edit

BimmerE38FN to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
Any are they going to do a 3rd generation 360?
»news.xbox.com/2013/06/x3 ··· 3-reveal

Wow, If they do then I'm all for that. Rather have a new 360 over XB1. I don't need the extras, just need a good gaming console.

Toymaster
Premium Member
join:2001-12-27
Flint, MI

Toymaster

Premium Member

Re: $500 for simcity drm, paid for exclusives, and tv tv tv tv?

I would rather have the 2nd gen with a price drop. I don't think the 3rd gen will see a price drop...

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

$499

Is way to much for a console. You are not even talking about a game, extra controller and Xbox live service.
mja1980
join:2013-05-09

mja1980

Re: $499

day one consoles are said to include one year of live service.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080

meh,

might as well be $1k or more.. the price is way too high for the budgets of most families! probably the games won't be found under $100 either.. what a money making scheme..

with console demand in the toilet anyway this will drop like a dud.. maybe there will be bundle deals making it worth $500 during the holidays such as a bunch of games plus extra controllers & accessories just to get a customer base off the ground, but beyond that? there will be slim pickins' after that so save up for the limited holiday deals or give up on getting a new console.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

inteller

The two free games

...will be bargain bin drivel 11 months out of the year, and a decent title or two around the holidays...what a gimmick.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

Re: The two free games

very true, but lets face it, its better than nothing, its def a start even if the games given are 5 bucks worth.. still its something

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

inteller

omg, listening to you fanbois try and justify this...it is hilarious...or pathetic I can't decide which.
Cobra11M
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

not a fan boi.. I prefer PC gaming, just saying they could of not gave anything to people and people would still buy it..

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Cobra11M

Premium Member

to Cobra11M
giving you something you would never play is actually worse than nothing.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to inteller

to inteller
said by inteller:

...will be bargain bin drivel 11 months out of the year, and a decent title or two around the holidays...what a gimmick.

it's free why complain? Only legit complaint is you can't take any of the free games you download over to the XBOX One.

I will say the idea I can use things like Netflix and HBOGo without having to buy a Gold subscription because you can share Gold access is a positive.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to inteller

Premium Member

to inteller
said by inteller:

It's not even permanent either. As long as you are a subscriber to PS+, you get free games. For Xbox Live, you are only getting 2 free games per month until the release of the Xbox One in which afterwards Live does not provide 2 free games.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
Tulsa, OK

inteller

wow....talk about bait and switch. Are interns running Microsoft PR over the summer? When did things turn into amateur hour over there?

some_gamer
@comcastbusiness.net

some_gamer

Anon

Metal Gear Solid V not exclusive

»twitter.com/majornelson/ ··· 31683841

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp

any 4k early adopters?

Games at 4k resolution? or just movies?
Cobra11M
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

Re: any 4k early adopters?

both.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

I doubt the xboxone has the power to render in 4k it will be upscaled at best.
Cobra11M
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to SysOp

to SysOp
both
kerya666
join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

kerya666

said by Cobra11M:

both

You are dreaming if you think this thing can output anything more than Tetris in 4k resolution.

Even best PC GPUs have hard time giving smooth frames in select games.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Remember PS3 bombing.....

At $500-$600 during launch? MS is pulling the same bs. Being very arrogant about the price and relying on brand alone. Thinking people will pay anything since it is the Xbox brand. They will be getting a wake up call real fast. As times are even worse now for folks financially.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Re: Remember PS3 bombing.....

said by KoRnGtL15:

At $500-$600 during launch? MS is pulling the same bs. Being very arrogant about the price and relying on brand alone. Thinking people will pay anything since it is the Xbox brand. They will be getting a wake up call real fast. As times are even worse now for folks financially.

IMHO as I said on Blu-ray.com I think MS really wants out of the console biz, or at least they don't want to deal with pre Xbox 1/Xbox 360 days.. the less support for games the better.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Metal Gear Solid V...

Fucking traitors!!

•••

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK

Premium Member

PS3 was $500 too

The PS3 was $500 and even more at its launch. How many of you were complaining about that back then?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••
halfelite
join:2007-09-11

halfelite

sony

if sony prices the ps4 around the same 499$ then the high price tag does not matter if sony comes in at sub 400$ then the 499$ is a big problem.

People that play console games are not going to switch to pc games, And the pc market with DRM is not much better either. Its still a huge market, with over 140million units sold between the xbox360 and ps3

•••

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Awkward Silence

Watching it now and just got to the part where he announced the prices and paused for applause...which didn't come right away. I think the audience had a bit of sticker shock. Dead silence for 2-3 seconds before they realized he was waiting on them to make some noise.

On another note there were lots of good games announced during the conference. It'll be interesting to see what Sony has in store today.

Probitas
@teksavvy.com

Probitas

Anon

laptops are more useful at that price

When consoles start to cost more than laptops, they are overpriced.

•••••

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Two free games...

This month alone on PSN Plus we get:

PS3
Uncharted 3
Xcom: Enemy Unknown
Machinarium
Littlebigplanet Karting
Saints Row The Third
Deus Ex Human Revolution

PS Vita:
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward
Gods Eater Burst

tphillips
Premium Member
join:2009-02-04
Apopka, FL

tphillips

Premium Member

Re: Two free games...

One of the best deals around

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

This month alone on PSN Plus we get:

PS3
Uncharted 3
Xcom: Enemy Unknown
Machinarium
Littlebigplanet Karting
Saints Row The Third
Deus Ex Human Revolution

PS Vita:
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward
Gods Eater Burst

I was about to sign up again for PSN + for UC3 and Deus Ex:HR for that alone.

I was just about to buy the game for $15 then I saw that.
halfelite
join:2007-09-11

halfelite

DRM

All the people that are against the DRM do not understand the future nor how it will play with the PS4 as well. It has already been said both companies are trying for downloadable games and moving away from disc's once everything is fully download the used game market is gone, unless it can be replaced with a digital one. Being able to move a physical copy from place to place has always been a loophole but now the time has come that the loophole can be closed, Microsoft might have started a bit soon on it but the outcome is still the same in the end. No physical media no used game market.

•••

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Free games

Gold members with two free games per month

Sounds similar to PlayStation Plus...

•••••••••

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

Welcome to "We own your gaming soul"

Jeebus Everything that we fear and they just add a spoonful of sugar to attract the flies so we land of the trap. 500+24 connect +xbox live to watch stuff you already pay+game studios blocking the resale of a game=Xbox ...So much fail...

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

Give it 5 years and price will be down to PS2 price

Who wants to bet that the servers won't even be open for people trying to play their xbox one games? Like all the last games (D3, simscity) of course this is a console not a game we're talking about but my point is, the last few huge games with always on, on release day failed. The server's were down and people were trying to play there game.

For crying out loud people! They just wanna play their games.. Is that so hard to ask? Apparently so cause you need tied up with all this junk and nonsense and take a look at whats still occuring, piracy is still occurring, it will never stop not even in a hundred years so just throw this idiotic always on thing in the trash and let people have fun with what they bought with their own money.
Seaboogers
join:2004-11-01
Sarasota, FL

Seaboogers

Re: Give it 5 years and price will be down to PS2 price

Exactly...ask everyone how the launch of Diablo 3 was.

Having to connect to a server every 24 hours, on top of possibly no used games or even rental games is a total deal killer for me.

If I pay $70 for a game, I expect to be able to play the single player version when I want, for however long I want, anywhere I want.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

Re: Give it 5 years and price will be down to PS2 price

Hey don't worry the MS defense force will come and take care of us..by telling us "you are paying for server time" LMAO what a bunch of lies.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

What's telling is that

This topic has 71 comments (before this one), and the NSA Leaker topic has 67.

Toymaster
Premium Member
join:2001-12-27
Flint, MI

Toymaster

Premium Member

Re: What's telling is that

Someone must have been bored...:)

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

Welcome to "We own your gaming soul"

Jeebus Everything that we fear and they just add a spoonful of sugar to attract the flies so we land of the trap. 500+24 connect +xbox live to watch stuff you already pay+game studios blocking the resale of a game=Xbox ...So much fail...
page: 1 · 2 · next