spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-06-27 13:59:03: Taking aim at more remote customers looking for connectivity, Verizon has announced the launch of their wireless network for the first time in Alaska, with users in Anchorage, Fairbanks, North Pole, Juneau and much of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough no.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

flycuban

join:2005-04-25
Homestead, FL

4 recommendations

$100?

Dang - didnt know you can build a network for $100

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

lol must be a typo

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life

join:2001-09-01
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Typo?

They spent nearly $100??? Really??? Big spenders in Alaska....lol......

rantou

join:2002-06-04
Wylie, TX

Only how much...?

quote:
Verizon says that they spent $100 to deploy LTE to Alaska, and that this is technically the first time the company built an LTE network entirely from scratch.

Seems like I could build a large network while working at the local pizza parlor if that's all it costs!

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1

finished?

I don't have LTE here. where is LTE rollout finished?

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7
reply to Cobra11M

Re: $100?

Yes, it says "$100 million" in the linked-to article.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to beck

Re: finished?

Unless their maps are woefully behind they are not close to being finished. Hell in Western KY there is a huge gap. Go look at their amps ther are plenty of places where is is only 3G. Verizon clearly stated ALL 3G areas would be covered in 4G. ALL as in 100%. And at least half their coverage is actually 4G "extended" network. Sorry I don't count that.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

$100?

... and everybody's monthly bill went up due to "massive infrastructure upgrades".

Premium
West Tenness

said by newview:

... and everybody's monthly bill went up due to "massive infrastructure upgrades".

first of all nobody's bills went up. Mine didn't. Second they spent $9 billion this year and will spend $9 billion next year. That not even counting the $3.6 billion they spent last year on the AWS spectrum they plan on deploying in the next few months

josephf

join:2009-04-26
reply to beck

Are you better than Alaska? Why should you go first?

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

1 recommendation

reply to flycuban

It says LTE. Linked Tincan Endpoints. Easily done for $100.00

josephf

join:2009-04-26
reply to flycuban

Re: $100? $100 Million.

$100 Million. See original article linked.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to beck

Maybe they're not upgrading rural areas for economic reasons. Why cover farm country with LTE when EVDO Rev A will do the trick.

From their point of view they want to serve the most customers possible using the least amount of resources possible which means covering urban and suburban areas.

I grew up in Iowa so I know rural America but I spent most of my time in the city.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to 88615298

I thought Kentucky was extended network according to their maps which means that the towers there are not Verizon towers.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

LTE has been here, FYI

Verizon said they were bringing LTE a while back. AT&T beat everyone to the punch and launched theirs in Anchorage back in August if I remember correctly. GCI and ACS (Alaska Communications) launched their joint LTE network on AWS spectrum in September; however, no devices were being sold and LTE SIMs weren't available until November. GCI/ACS LTE is available in Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau. AT&T has yet to launch in Fairbanks. I am unsure about Juneau.

billybob2

join:2003-07-23
Moline, IL

$100 cost

For $100 cost they must have taken the Dilbert approach. "How hard could it be to not install wires?"

»dilbert.com/strips/comic/2010-04···C&Page=3

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to IowaCowboy

I read somewhere else that VZW plans to offer VoLTE on an LTE-only phone later this year. So, at some point, they'll have to add LTE to all their sites, or they'll be useless to those devices.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to CosmicDebri

Re: Typo?

Don't worry, folks will be along shortly to tell you how companies don't spend any money and only make it and overcharge customers.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to beck

Yeah, they definitely aren't done. 99% of their 3G network has LTE now...whether that's land area or POPs covered I'm not sure...but that still plenty of territory with 3G only. For example, west of Austin and north of San Antonio, TX. Sprint has filled much of that in with LTE, but they're the only ones so far.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to koolman2

Re: LTE has been here, FYI

Any idea of LTE speeds on TAWN's network? Not sure off the top of my head how much spectrum they've got, but I wonder if they're running 10x10 carriers like AT&T and Verizon are.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I thought Kentucky was extended network according to their maps which means that the towers there are not Verizon towers.

Nope the part of Kentucky I'm talking about is regular Verizon. Anyways I found a topix board on this topic and apparently 4G is live in Murray but it's not showing on the map.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to koolman2

said by koolman2:

Verizon said they were bringing LTE a while back. AT&T beat everyone to the punch and launched theirs in Anchorage back in August if I remember correctly. GCI and ACS (Alaska Communications) launched their joint LTE network on AWS spectrum in September; however, no devices were being sold and LTE SIMs weren't available until November. GCI/ACS LTE is available in Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau. AT&T has yet to launch in Fairbanks. I am unsure about Juneau.

LTE over AWS is better suited for large cities with congestion issues as the signal does not travel as far nor does it penetrate structures as well. That is what Verizon is using it's AWS spectrum for. Deploying it on mini-towers in hundreds of sites in a city like NYC. I assume people in Alaska spend a lot of time indoors. Verizon LTE over the lower 700 MHz spectrum will have wider range and penetrate buildings better.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to raythompsontn

said by raythompsontn:

It says LTE. Linked Tincan Endpoints. Easily done for $100.00

ROTFLMAO!

Edit: I was just thinking that's Sprint's network for real, lol.

--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to iansltx

Looks like they've got 10x10 of capacity. So maybe they're running that size of channel.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to flycuban

$100? Maybe I should re-consider investing in wireless networks!

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
reply to 88615298

He's making a joke at the 100 dollar typo expense.

saq_in_mi

@airadvantage.net

fed money

how much of this is re-couped in the federal broadband initiative fund ? Why do you think AT&T is pushing so hard to deploy LTE in rural areas that dont even have UMTS built yet ?

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK

1 edit
reply to iansltx

I've personally experienced speedtest a as high as 40/18 Mbps.

I've fiddled around in field test and I've seen 10 MHz. I'm pretty sure it's 10x10.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
reply to 88615298

Regional carriers couldn't get their hands on any of the 700 MHz spectrum, so most were stuck with AWS or a non-standard frequency set. AWS seems to work just fine for LTE, though. Even at a signal of -110 I can still browse the web just fine and speedtests are still around 5-10 Mbps. In fact, I did a speedtest on my phone just now. At -110, I got 21/4 Mbps.

GCI has a pure 1900 MHz GSM/UMTS network in the cities, so there aren't a lot of problems with network density to get 2100 MHz going for the downstream LTE. Everything seems to work just fine so far.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to koolman2

18 Mbps up means it's definitely 10x10. 5x5 can't hit more than 13.5 Mbps up without MIMO or higher QAM modulations, neither of which are in current phones.