dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-06-27 13:59:03: Taking aim at more remote customers looking for connectivity, Verizon has announced the launch of their wireless network for the first time in Alaska, with users in Anchorage, Fairbanks, North Pole, Juneau and much of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough no.. ..

prev · 1 · 2
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: LTE has been here, FYI

said by iansltx:

18 Mbps up means it's definitely 10x10. 5x5 can't hit more than 13.5 Mbps up without MIMO or higher QAM modulations, neither of which are in current phones.

Are you sure?

I have at&t and live in chicagoland and heard in chicago area they only got 5x5, and in most places I get around 10mb/s but when I am in o'hare I get >30mb/s. Even in some pockets of downtown I get speeds above 20mb/s sometimes.

JamesPC
join:2005-10-12
Orange, CA

JamesPC

said by chgo_man99:

said by iansltx:

18 Mbps up means it's definitely 10x10. 5x5 can't hit more than 13.5 Mbps up without MIMO or higher QAM modulations, neither of which are in current phones.

Are you sure?

I have at&t and live in chicagoland and heard in chicago area they only got 5x5, and in most places I get around 10mb/s but when I am in o'hare I get >30mb/s. Even in some pockets of downtown I get speeds above 20mb/s sometimes.

According to the FCC, AT&T has only 12Mhz of 700Mhz spectrum in Los Angeles and Orange County (same for chicago). Thus, AT&T is using 5x5 LTE in that area. However in San Diego County, AT&T has 24Mhz of 700Mhz spectrum, thus allowing them to use 10x10 LTE.

Edit: And this is basically to the point about AWS. The plan in the near future is to supplement "spectrum-starved" areas such as LA/OC with AWS (1700Mhz down/2100Mhz up) spectrum, which AT&T has plenty of (and why the AT&T iPad has 2 LTE frequencies compared to the Verizon one.)

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: finished?

My area has cities in it and the cities don't have 4g yet. So I guess I'm part of the 1% not upgraded yet. I don't even see them working on the towers either.
My city has 20,000 people so does the one across the river from me. The city to the north has 9,000 people and the one to the south has 6,000 people. Neither of those cities has 4g.
AndrewW
join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

Prepping for Canada!

"the first time the company built an LTE network entirely from scratch". This will be good practice for them so they will have some experience in building a LTE network from scratch when they come to Canada and do the same in the not too distant future.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to JamesPC

Premium Member

to JamesPC

Quick note: AWS is 2100 down 1700 up.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99
Down or up? 5x5 can hit 35 Mbps down in real-world (albeit ideal) conditions and 13 Mbps up in similar conditions (I've seen exactly that on my phone), but that's it. 10x10 can more or less double that.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

For the tourists

So far, this is for the tourists. Verizon doesn't want to keep paying roaming fees to ACS. They still will in some places, but this will cut it down. If it weren't for tourism, I doubt they'd even want to be in Alaska. AT&T owns the state. They have the best coverage in most places, fast data, etc.

spike010101
Premium Member
join:2003-11-28
Austin, TX

spike010101

Premium Member

uhmm?

So what ever happened to them covering their entire 3G footprint? The maps make it look like they haven't even covered half of their 3G network.

vzwuser
@bellsouth.net

vzwuser to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298

Re: finished?

It's on in Murray, Benton, and Eddyville.
vzwuser

vzwuser to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298
»www.westkentuckystar.com ··· eld.aspx
kalanic00
join:2006-07-16
Anchorage, AK

kalanic00 to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: For the tourists

said by BiggA:

So far, this is for the tourists. Verizon doesn't want to keep paying roaming fees to ACS. They still will in some places, but this will cut it down. If it weren't for tourism, I doubt they'd even want to be in Alaska. AT&T owns the state. They have the best coverage in most places, fast data, etc.

There are a lot of folks, including myself, who have relocated to Alaska from other Verizon-served areas. Also, there is a large military community. I believe Verizon is trying to better serve us transplants, while saving on roaming fees in the future. I, personally, am glad to see competition in Alaska's broadband market!

JamesPC
join:2005-10-12
Orange, CA

JamesPC to koolman2

to koolman2

said by koolman2:

Quick note: AWS is 2100 down 1700 up.

Ahh, yes thanks for the correction.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to kalanic00

Premium Member

to kalanic00

Re: For the tourists

True. That's another market of folks who are coming in and out and probably using quite a bit of data. Sucks for ACS, that's for sure. Their EVDO network was probably raking in the data roaming revenue.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to iansltx

to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Down or up? 5x5 can hit 35 Mbps down in real-world (albeit ideal) conditions and 13 Mbps up in similar conditions (I've seen exactly that on my phone), but that's it. 10x10 can more or less double that.

I remember I hit once as high as 47.62 mb/s but that was at O'hare airport. Speeds at the airport have been consistently higher than anywhere else I have seen.

p.s. wifi in ohare is also very fast but its paid.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Maybe they have 10x10 AWS LTE there?
prev · 1 · 2