spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-07-07 16:30:07: Please take a moment in between grilling and libations to empty your thoughts into the comment section below. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Happy 4th All

Enjoy!

Blob

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Re: Happy 4th All

said by workablob:

Enjoy!

Happy 4th All

Happy 4th of July:

--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."
brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

!

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

Linklist ....Nice display! Happy Independence Day to all!!

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
Click for full size
Oh, and this is where I'll be after chores having some wine.

Blob
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Thats a big ass transformer on that power pole that I wouldnt want to be anywhere near or in that pool if it blew up!!!! They blow up often up here in Idaho...

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by scottymead:

Thats a big ass transformer on that power pole that I wouldnt want to be anywhere near or in that pool if it blew up!!!! They blow up often up here in Idaho...

Agreed

Been here 13 years this coming Thursday without incident. Knock on wood.

Blob
--

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
Click for full size
There.

Transformer Gone.

Blob

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

Build your made to order smartphone - like buying a new car

Motorola is trying to bring a "build your own" vibe to buying a smartphone. Sort of like what car makers do with tons of individual options. Should be interesting. Analysts don't think it will save Motorola's butt, however. The Moto-X smartphone is coming soon.

»reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57···1_3-0-20
--

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16

Re: Build your made to order smartphone - like buying a new car

said by FFH:

Motorola is trying to bring a "build your own" vibe to buying a smartphone. Sort of like what car makers do with tons of individual options. Should be interesting. Analysts don't think it will save Motorola's butt, however. The Moto-X smartphone is coming soon.

»reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57···1_3-0-20

That would be awesome! All of my computers are custom built to order, it would be great to have CTO smartphones. I had a hard time choosing between the DNA and Razr Maxx HD, why choose when you could have the best of both worlds? The HTC One looks like a great phone and I would love to own it, but can't go back to a dinky 4.7" screen, 5.0" is even too small now.

Give me a phone with a 6.5" 1080p display, 4GB of RAM, 2.0-2.3 GHz Quad Core Snapdragon, 4000 mAh battery, 32 GB on board storage, MicoSD card slot, a camera similar to HTCs UltraPixel technology, DLNA, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, Wireless A/B/G/N/AC and a few other things and I could be happy for a few months.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0 – American Public 1
“the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”
Repeal Obamacare Now!
BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Note 2 !

Every one laughs when they see my note 2, but I can't seem to go back to the old smaller screens!

I let them laugh though and go back to actually reading my email not squinting at it like the iphone 4 and 5 guys
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
I'd take an iPhone 5 but with a battery twice the size.

Last computer I bought was a 13" MacBook Pro and I just bought it off the shelf at Best Buy in New Hampshire (and dodging Mass sales tax in the process).

I don't find myself using computers much anymore. I use my iPad mini and iPhone much more than I fire up my MacBook pros.

I am typing this on my iPad mini.

At least Apple has several choices of their iPhone. You can choose your storage and your carrier. Other phones are exclusive to the carrier and don't have many options (such as the Droids being exclusive to Verizon).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16

It’s laughable to say Apple gives you choices. Up until 2 years ago you didn’t have a choice of carriers in the US, unless you went against Lord Jobs wishes and jailbroke and unlocked the thing to run it on T-Mobile’s Edge network. And really, you have to bring up storage capacity? Apple rapes you for $100 extra for the privilege. At least with the Samsung GS4, not only do you get 16 GB on board, but you can get a 64GB MicroSD card for $50 bucks.

And who cares about exclusivity, many manufactures are now making one phone for all carriers. And in the past many of the phones were either the same or similar across different carriers but had different names. The HTC Droid Erris on Verizon and the HTC Hero on Sprint were the same phone. The Motorola Photon on Sprint, Motorola Electrify on US Cellular and Motorola Atrix on AT&T were basically the same phone and the Droid Bionic on Verizon was slightly different but based on the same platform. The Motorola Droid Pro on Verizon was samething as the XPRT on Sprint. The Evo 3D was nearly identical to Sensation on T-Mobile aside for the 3D camera. And every version of the original Samsung Galaxy S was called something different on each carrier. My Droid DNA, which is nothing but a larger version of the AT&T One X, is factory unlocked and able to be used on AT&T if I so desired.

When it comes to choice of carriers and handsets, Apple does not hold a candle to the Android offerings to think otherwise is lying to yourself.
--
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA!
Hussein Obama 0 – American Public 1
“the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”
Repeal Obamacare Now!
Expand your moderator at work
biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
Can we customize what passwords and such that Motorola will surreptitiously transmit to themselves?

former qwest

@qwest.net
i'd build a GSM STARTAC, that's all i need (i have one, but it's 900 Mhz, bummer)

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

I miss those days, my first cell phone was a Nokia 5120. Those phones were cool with interchangeable faceplates and keypads. I then switched from US Cellular to Verizon and I was able to attach the accessories to the Nokia 5185 that I bought.

And don't forget when the game "Snake" was as entertaining and as popular as Angry Birds.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Please try not to blow off any IMPORTANT appendages...

... and have a good weekend.
That is all.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Re: Please try not to blow off any IMPORTANT appendages...

said by tshirt:

... and have a good weekend.
That is all.

And stay safe on the water. Unfortunately the holiday weekend started off with a sad note for a 10-year old kid who drowned in the Chicopee river.

»www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/hamp···ee-river

My thoughts and prayers are with the kid and her family.

Stay safe on the water, please wear a life jacket.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
So no stuffing firecrackers down one's pants, eh?

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

Yah that's not a good thing to do not that you would know considering you can't get any firecrackers.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
depends on YOUR appendage value system, but I know I wouldn't.

milnoc

H3B

If I wanted to blow my appendage off, I'd need a bigger firecracker.
Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
said by milnoc:

I remember how the news used to do segments every year about how dangerous fireworks were. Usually they took the position that if you play with fireworks someone will get maimed or killed. One year they slipped up and had a kid on camera who said he'd had firecrackers go off in his hand and it just made his fingers tingle for a while.

Of course he was talking about actual firecrackers (the little ones that are skinnier than a cigarette) and not M80s or quarter-sticks.

Another time, they wanted to demonstrate how dangerous it was to have fireworks in your car, so they packed the truck full of fireworks and used a remote detonator to set it off. I can't help wondering; If having fireworks in your car is so unbelievably dangerous, why didn't they just put the fireworks in the trunk and wait for it to spontaneously explode? After all, most people aren't going to hook a remote detonator to it.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Professional fireworks also have accidents:
»www.mercurynews.com/breaking-new···rks-show

As many as 10,000 Fourth of July revelers were just settling into their seats for the fireworks show at a Simi Valley park when a bright plume of red and white bursts spread across the ground, injuring 28 people and sending others fleeing for safety.

--

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
said by milnoc:

here you go

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTm7fGa0JU

milnoc

H3B

Technically, that wasn't "in his pants."

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan

said by milnoc:

Technically, that wasn't "in his pants."

you got me there...

workablob

Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by HD_Ride:

said by milnoc:

here you go

(youtube clip)

Darwin would be proud.
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Plenty of amateur idiots too.
»www.komonews.com/news/local/Seve···421.html

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

Screw them

With low life and inconsiderate family members like mine, I say...

FUCK ALL HOLIDAYS!
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

••••
oldmike

join:2005-04-14
Latonia, KY

Have a good holiday

I have to work a half-day, but it's only a half-day. Plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the day.

Remember the reason for the holiday.

Crom

@comcast.net

After three weeks AT&T finally unlocked my iphone 4G

3 months after my contract was over I had requested AT&T to unlock my iPhone. On my first request they denied me saying that I didn't meet the contract obligations....My contract was already over and I bought my subsidized AT&T locked iPhone straight from an apple store. Well I didn't give up and I wasn't going to let AT&T screw me over. I went to an AT&T store with my iPhone and original sales receipt. They still denied me. So on my third attempt I asked to talk to the supervisor and she finally agreed to unlock my iPhone except I had to fax in my sales receipt. I had to wait a week until i got an email from saying that my iPhone is finally ready to be unlocked with iTunes.......Good GOD. I must say that was one hell of a struggle. Did any of you guys go through this unlocking your phones? Anyways glad to be gone and free of AT&T's shackles. This is going to be a great 4th of July!
biochemistry
Premium

Re: After three weeks AT&T finally unlocked my iphone 4G

What was their excuse for not unlocking it when your contract was clearly up?

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

Work

That's what we do here.

Please don't burn the Motel down.
Or drown.
No Police, Paramedics or Fire Department and we'll call the week a success!

Enjoy your stay.

•••

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

Tomorrow is my mother's birthday ...

When we were kids she used to tell us that all the fireworks were the people celebrating her birthday.

... we believed her

Happy Birthday Mom!

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Re: Tomorrow is my mother's birthday ...

Part of the "Mom" job description is "messing with the heads of your kids".
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

Re: Tomorrow is my mother's birthday ...

said by Rogue Wolf:

Part of the "Mom" job description is "messing with the heads of your kids".

... and my mother was a master.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

Fireworks

Just saw a very good fireworks show

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Alas...

I am getting ready for work as I have to be there midnight to noon. Double time and a half makes it easier. Campus will be shut down so nothing for me to do except patrol and watch netflix on my laptop.. Everyone have a safe and memorable fourth.
biochemistry
Premium

Re: Alas...

Campus Safety?

Tamarisk

@rr.com

US Government Spying on Snail Mail

»news.yahoo.com/government-snoopi···998.html

•••••

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 recommendation

Happy Independence Day!!!

Happy Independence Day!!!

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

They're getting the last laugh

As it happens, I'm up working late on a project for a British company. Independence indeed.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Happy Birthday America

We can't WAIT to welcome you back!!!

If you love your country, say so LOUDLY this 4th of July. It's time to send the fascist goons off to where they belong. I believe Mr. Putin might even give us a reasonable rate for them in Siberia.... If you can believe you heard that from me

--
"when the people have suffered many abuses under the control of a totalitarian leader, they not only have the right but the duty to overthrow that government." - The U.S. Declaration of Independence

•••
NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

Happy July 4th from your neighbours to the North

Have a safe and happy 4th of July folks from the unwashed masses in Canada.

Please remember to try and keep the noise of celebrating down to a dull roar tonight. Your neighbours north of the 49th parallel appreciate it

NefCanuck

•••••••

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

4 recommendations

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.
He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:
For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.
He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.
He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.
He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Brittish brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Georgia:
Button Gwinnett
Lyman Hall
George Walton

North Carolina:
William Hooper
Joseph Hewes
John Penn

South Carolina:
Edward Rutledge
Thomas Heyward, Jr.
Thomas Lynch, Jr.
Arthur Middleton

Massachusetts:
John Hancock

Maryland:
Samuel Chase
William Paca
Thomas Stone
Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Virginia:
George Wythe
Richard Henry Lee
Thomas Jefferson
Benjamin Harrison
Thomas Nelson, Jr.
Francis Lightfoot Lee
Carter Braxton

Pennsylvania:
Robert Morris
Benjamin Rush
Benjamin Franklin
John Morton
George Clymer
James Smith
George Taylor
James Wilson
George Ross

Delaware:
Caesar Rodney
George Read
Thomas McKean

New York:
William Floyd
Philip Livingston
Francis Lewis
Lewis Morris

New Jersey:
Richard Stockton
John Witherspoon
Francis Hopkinson
John Hart
Abraham Clark

New Hampshire:
Josiah Bartlett
William Whipple

Massachusetts:
Samuel Adams
John Adams
Robert Treat Paine
Elbridge Gerry

Rhode Island:
Stephen Hopkins
William Ellery

Connecticut:
Roger Sherman
Samuel Huntington
William Williams
Oliver Wolcott

New Hampshire:
Matthew Thornton

•••••

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA

1 recommendation

Be safe

Don't drink and drive. Find a designated driver before you party. Most taxi cabs or police departments will bring you home on special holidays like this for a low price or even for free.

Have a safe and fun independence day!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Bad day

I've been sick with a stomach bug and I went to the urgent care clinic and on my way to fill my prescriptions, the belt on my car went so I had to take it to Sears (only shop open) to get a new belt. The tensioner pulley went bad so they put a new belt on to get by but I have to take it back on Saturday to get idler pulley assembly replaced.

By the time I got to the pharmacy, they discovered an error on the script so they have to call the clinic tomorrow to clarify the script.
--

Ostracus

join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

Liberating one's tongue.

quote:
Please take a moment in between grilling and libations to empty your thoughts into the comment section below.
You do realize the later will mean most comments will not be coherent?

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Re: Liberating one's tongue.

So, status quo, then.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Practical evolutions of Technology with large benefits

Here's a simple story about a new development some Australian University researchers have made. It concerns a new metal oxide dielectric material, for capacitors and "Super-capacitors".

»phys.org/news/2013-07-material-b···l#ajTabs

Practical advancement in technology.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini