spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-07-08 12:21:36: AT&T has been confirmed as one of several ISPs that placed bids on Hulu before last week's deadline. Sources tell Bloomberg that AT&T submitted an unspecified joint bid for Hulu with Chernin Group before the deadline last Friday. ..

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Pioneer Wireless

Again

Hulu without the short leash of content providers will fail.

The available content will dwindle or the price will go way up, and the online streaming market will continue to fragment leaving users paying for several services to get the content they want.

It should be this simple...

All Movies on Netflix
All TV on HULU

None of this exclusive content crap or delayed releases or content expiring.

When a movie hits the shelves, it hits online.
When a TV show AIRS it hits online.

would this be so hard?

Or would the face that they can't monetize the ever-loving crap out of it be too much to bear?

Yes you should earn money from a creation, but when is it enough?

Why try to charge consumers 3 times or more to watch a single movie?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

I would love to see a breakdown of the cost of a major top rated TV show that is not a reality show. As in how much does the cast cost(a cost that can be negotiated.) vs the mostly fixed cost of post production.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to buzz_4_20

said by buzz_4_20:

The available content will dwindle or the price will go way up, and the online streaming market will continue to fragment leaving users paying for several services to get the content they want.

Actually, at this rate, not paying for anything will continue to provide the best access to all the content you want.

buzz_4_20

Limestone, ME

That's the sad painful truth.

People will take the path of least resistance.

Piracy is really Cheap and Really easy with no technical restrictions like most pay services have.

tpkatl

join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

As if the world needed another reason to hate Hulu

At&t strategy -

a) raise prices

b) bundle with false savings

c) dump product

AreYouKiddin

@nationalcity.com
reply to buzz_4_20

Re: Again

No they don't. Case in point, I forgot to DVR a TNT show. So I went online to TNT to watch the show through the streaming they provide and the show was unwatchable! One burp and they downgrade the resolution. Then another burp (this is the Internet after all) and I have to start at the beginning again. So I just said the hell with it and downloaded the show (pirated!) and watched it in its best resolution and was able to pause and resart from that point.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to buzz_4_20

said by buzz_4_20:

Hulu without the short leash of content providers will fail.

It should be this simple...

All Movies on Netflix
All TV on HULU

None of this exclusive content crap or delayed releases or content expiring.

When a movie hits the shelves, it hits online.
When a TV show AIRS it hits online.

would this be so hard?

Or would the face that they can't monetize the ever-loving crap out of it be too much to bear?

Yes you should earn money from a creation, but when is it enough?

Why try to charge consumers 3 times or more to watch a single movie?

Most of the streaming content people watch on Netflix is Tv shows. So why should they be relegated to just showing movies?

Better yet, just have all TV and movie content on Netflix and shut Hulu down.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

Why Does Anybody Want It?

I don't get it. Hulu's currently (mostly) owned by content providers, no? These guys are starving their own operation of content, making it relatively worthless. Which, in turn, makes it relatively unpopular. So if the content providers cannot or will not make a go of it, what makes anybody else believe they can?

What am I missing, here?

Jim

buzz_4_20

Limestone, ME
reply to aaronwt

Everything in ONE place would be better, but I'm willing to divide it up to two outlets.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to jseymour

Re: Why Does Anybody Want It?

said by jseymour:

I don't get it. Hulu's currently (mostly) owned by content providers, no? These guys are starving their own operation of content, making it relatively worthless. Which, in turn, makes it relatively unpopular. So if the content providers cannot or will not make a go of it, what makes anybody else believe they can?

What am I missing, here?

Jim

Hulu is basically lip-service by the content owners to hold off criticism by consumer groups who may get the attention of the few congress critters who care about consumers.

Heaven forbid actual competition, no matter how remote a possibility it may be.

radougherty

join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX

Dish?

When did Dish jump into the bidding?

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to mogamer

said by mogamer:

Hulu is basically lip-service by the content owners to hold off criticism by consumer groups who may get the attention of the few congress critters who care about consumers.

I understand that. What I don't understand is why anybody'd want to buy it.

Jim

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to buzz_4_20

It's not like AT&T has a history of watering down service and increasing the price. That would never happen if they aquired Hulu.

I fail to see why more then a handfull of people would pay for Hulu. Even if you pay, you still are required to watch commercials. You get almost the same content.

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored

join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

One more step...

When I worked for AT&T (4 years ago) it was already clear that they wanted out of the hardware side of the business and wanted to be a wireless/content provider. This is just one more step in that progression (or regression).
--
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt the Younger

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jseymour

said by jseymour:

What am I missing, here?

Jim

With over a billion streams per month and 3million plus Hulu Plus (paid) subscribers I don't think unpopular is the correct classification.
it's just a different way to package the cheap rerun content instead of Cable or an OTA provider.
It was never intended to disrupt or replace the OTA and CATV channels, but for some reason Karl seems amazed that it hasn't at every story. I don't see the current contract providers necessarily blocking Hulu from continuing to buy content, but the market price may be higher
Last time Hulu considered going public they were worth $2+ billion

It will be interesting to see how it actually gets priced at this go round.

odreian615

join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

Hulu plus app/channel on Uverse

Much better than that crap they call ScreenSavers