spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-07-08 14:26:11: The Xbox One may suck quite a bit less now that the company has backed off restrictive DRM, but the console may still raise the bar for annoying snoopvertising. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

intok

join:2012-03-15

1 recommendation

Scary tech

IIRC they even showed demos of the new Kinect being able to tell what your heart rate is.

With them also flooding Live, a service you pay for with advertisements for games and requiring you to pay for like to use a 360 for Netflix I really can't see why anyone would want to buy one of these things.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

Electrical Tape

Over the eye. Problem solved.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to intok

Re: Scary tech

I agree. Even disregarding all the creepiness and potential for abuse, of which there is a lot, you're paying out the nose for a console, a camera, games, an internet connection, a service that enables you to USE your internet connection, and now targeted ads? WTF?
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 recommendations

reply to baineschile

Re: Electrical Tape

said by baineschile:

OR
Leave in box, on store shelf
Problem solved, cheaper.

jay608
Going Nucking Futs

join:2007-01-22
Chicago, IL

Agreed! That is what I will be doing.

mrherzog

join:2001-05-06
Calgary, AB

No Thanks

I've been an XBOX man for years. I won't be bringing this device into my living room until I can control the Kinect system at will.

To say I have no control over when something is turned on and watching/listening to me, is fine. I reserve the right to not buy the product in the first place.

Thanks for coming, buh bye! Hello PS4

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

OR
Problem solved, cheaper.

I didn't think it was possible but for once we agree.

Though maybe it should be secretly bury in desert next to failed Atari E.T. cartridges. It was the game so bad that they literally buried the already made carts so nobody would know how bad they fucked up.
--
You think theres no games for Linux? »desura.com »gameolith.com »humblebundle.com »playdeb.net »ubuntuvibes.com

Check out »youtube.com/user/TheBigPictureRT/videos »freespeech.org and »democracynow.org

NickD
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

2 recommendations

The NSA will watch you

What's to say that the NSA won't find out all this information too?

I hope there's someone like Snowden working at Microsoft.

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

uproar then nothing

As much as we throw our arms up now, what is going to happen is people will get this out of their system now, and will go out and buy one once their friends buy one. And we end up saying oh well and will just accept until the next level is even more evasive. I do suspect the ps4 may be a little more popular but console gaming in general will decline a more in general. Kind of like as aol started to die out the ads got worse, spam became more prevalent even allowing advertisers to pay to get past spam walls. Still scary the integration level with our homes.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

said by baineschile:

OR
Problem solved, cheaper.

Isn't is supposed to be plugged in at all times for the console to work at all? Or did the back off this point too?

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to intok

Can only detect people within 3 ft of the sensor. Not as all seeing as some people make out.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect#Kin···Xbox_One

can detect a user up to 3 feet from the sensor (compared to six feet for the original Kinect)

However, users retain the software capability to turn off all Kinect functions while the sensor remains connected to the console.[126]

»www.gamespot.com/features/xbox-o···6408725/

And I start talking to my girlfriend who was with me at the time and I mention the guy who I'm seeing in the game and he comes out of the speakers and he can hear everything I'm saying because the Kinect is plugged in. Are there going to be options to kind of turn off all of this?

You definitely will have the software capability to turn off all the capabilities of Kinect. We want to put the gamer in control. And privacy. The box data information that collects is your data; it stays with you. You are in control of what you want to be collected. Game developers will obviously enable certain features and you'll be alerted when certain things are happening. Putting the gamer in control is really important.

--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Dodge

As far as I know that's still the case, yes.

But he meant leave the entire Xbox One in its box, on the shelf.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mrherzog

Re: No Thanks

Xbox guy here too. I was actually ready to seriously consider the One after MS pulled their about-face, but seriously? More ads than the current dashboard?

The Kinect 2's tech is impressive, but it's barely out of the gate and the only serious uses I see it being put toward are finding more ways to monetize the crap out of everything in the most crass way possible.

I'm probably gonna just stick with PS4 myself. Or maybe just stick with PC gaming, for that matter...
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to intok

We had an incident recently were my son wanted to show me a video on the xbox. Every time someone walked within view the Kinect interrupted to sign in whoever it saw.

It got so bad I got up and turned it around. While it will move some to follow people, luckily it can't swivel 360 degrees to see.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Can only detect people within 3 ft of the sensor. Not as all seeing as some people make out.

Interesting the that the distance has been drastically reduced. 3 feet almost doesn't seem usable. With a 65 inch set who is going to be within 3 feet?

I know our current version seems to work fine from 10 feet.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to FFH

I'd gather that many MANY people a but further than 3 feet away from their console and TV as a part of normal use... Of course, you cited Wikipedia as a source, which it really isn't an authoritative source and not reliable for anything important.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Pioneer Wireless

More Ads!

So not only will this machine track us but it'll use that to display more advertising.

So, I'd pay $500 for a machine that needs(debatable) a $60 yearly subscription, and it's going to be a very precise portal for targeted ads.

NO THANKS.

Lets add this to the pile of reasons I won't be buying this system.

BTW:
The ads on the 360 were easily blocked at the router.
Just Block:
rpt.rad.msn.com
msnvidweb.vo.msecnd.net

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to banditws6

said by banditws6:

But he meant leave the entire Xbox One in its box, on the shelf.

That's it, don't like it, don't buy it.
If wide spread, MS will change the rules, again.

Bicardi

@verizon.net
reply to Michail

On the original Kinect, you had to be a least 6 feet from the sensor. If you had a small room and you were too close, the sensor would not pick up your whole body. The new Kinect can detect a whole body as close as 3 feet from the sensor allowing a person to play in a smaller room.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to jgkolt

Re: uproar then nothing

I never liked the "metro" or "modern" interface because of all the live tiles moving all over the place and videos running seemingly randomly in tiles. It simply obfuscates me from what I want and attempts to move my limited attention to sell me something. I find this very irritating because I cut commercials out or just watch netflix. I dont want to be bombarded with ads because ads IMHO dont contain actual information that is relevant or timely. Ads by their nature are designed to appeal to your reptilian brain.

I bought the inlaws a laptop two weeks ago and it came with Windows 8 on it, and let me tell you it was like going to a circus. Flipping tiles, ugly colors (reminds me of the Marriott), no easy way to get your information, and worse designed for a tablet not a laptop. Needless to say my inlaws have a zero percent chance of navigating that, and I immediately put Windows 7 back on there (after fiddling around w/ the BIOS no less) to an actual usable state.

Onto privacy, even if you can control it, they will still collect "anonymous" data whatever that means, because data is not anonymous--its correlated to make a profile of you to ultimately sell useless s**t that we don't really need. It feels to me like the only "stated" purpose we have been put onto this earth is to consume..hardly something I want to pass onto my kids....

The whole idea that data is anonymous is the latest farce foisted on the populace in the last 20 years--outside maybe global warming.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to jjeffeory

said by jjeffeory:

I'd gather that many MANY people a but further than 3 feet away from their console and TV as a part of normal use... Of course, you cited Wikipedia as a source, which it really isn't an authoritative source and not reliable for anything important.

Check out the footnotes to the sources of the claims.
--

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored

join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

Business Opportunity

If someone is enterprising, they could come up with a "Kinect" shield. Even just an opaque plastic box to drop over the connect, sell at $3.99. You'd make a bundle.
--
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt the Younger

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to buzz_4_20

Re: More Ads!

said by buzz_4_20:

So not only will this machine track us but it'll use that to display more advertising.

So, I'd pay $500 for a machine that needs(debatable) a $60 yearly subscription, and it's going to be a very precise portal for targeted ads.

NO THANKS.

Lets add this to the pile of reasons I won't be buying this system.

This. Im not going to pay $500 just for the console, $60 a year for gold membership (though you can find it on sale for $35) and $70 per game. I dont use my 360 much but when I do, theres nothing but updates and advertising. Only reason I got a 360 was for the Halo series but seeing all this stuff MS is doing, its time to jump off the band wagon. Im just glad GTA V will be coming on on the 360, that will probably be the last console game I buy for awhile. As for the PS4, ill probably wait for them to go on sale in the future.

Also congrats to MS for finally catching up to the specs of my 3 year old system. Even then, my system is upgradeable and able to do much more.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

You guys all have it reversed. They have improved the MINIMUM distance from 6 feet to 3 feet.

The original Kinect had the problem that it could only detect people 6+ feet away because of the limited field of vision. Any closer than that and your head/feet would basically be outside of the camera's view. The new version increases the FoV so that you can stand 3+ feet away. This is important for people with limited amounts of space (like Japanese apartments or my apartment).

The original Kinect's maximum range is roughly 20 feet (although I believe the practical range is 11 feet), and it's possible that the new Kinect's higher resolution increases that max range.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

creepy

This is just too creepy.. It can sit on the shelf at walmart with the rest of the chinese crap...

whoyourdaddy

join:2013-02-20
Honey Brook, PA

black tape fail

bet if you use black tape the xbox one will stop working till it sees motion in the room

old_wiz_60

join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to NickD

Re: The NSA will watch you

Absolutely. Microsoft will no more be able to resist pressure from the NSA (i.e. Gestapo) than any other business. Play with a fake AK-47 - 20 mins later your house is surrounded by heavily armed SWAT team. Don't make remarks critical of NSA either.

hmm.....why is there a black SUV in front of my house?...hmm..

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

said by FFH:

can detect a user up to 3 feet from the sensor (compared to six feet for the original Kinect)

However, users retain the software capability to turn off all Kinect functions while the sensor remains connected to the console.[126]

You're getting the context wrong, but to be fair it's awkwardly worded. 3 feet is the nearest you can be and still be detected. It will be able to detect people farther than that, otherwise it wouldn't be good for much of anything. With the old Kinect it was 6 feet, which led to people with smaller gaming spaces being unable to use it.

As for being able to turn it off...you can't. It is eternally plugged in or else the console won't work. It is supposed to only be listening for "XBox On"...but that's still listening.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

whoyourdaddy

join:2013-02-20
Honey Brook, PA
reply to whoyourdaddy

Re: black tape fail

just think about it for a bit

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

said by FFH:

You're getting the context wrong, but to be fair it's awkwardly worded. 3 feet is the nearest you can be and still be detected. It will be able to detect people farther than that, otherwise it wouldn't be good for much of anything. With the old Kinect it was 6 feet, which led to people with smaller gaming spaces being unable to use it.

As for being able to turn it off...you can't. It is eternally plugged in or else the console won't work. It is supposed to only be listening for "XBox On"...but that's still listening.

Yes the wording makes it seem that nothing over 3 ft is too far away. Your description is more accurate.
--