spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-07-08 18:09:16: Earlier this year Netflix began ranking the quality of video streaming performance for each of the nation's largest ISPs. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Google Fiber

Congratulations to the 3 subscribers on Google Fiber. You have the best Netflix experience available. Those of you on other fiber or cable ISPs who have many more subscribers than Google Fiber, sorry, but you don't get to know where you rank because your ISP isn't important enough to Netflix's agenda.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1

To my mind ...

An eighth or ninth place finish for Comcast in any category is a huge improvement for them ... since they are usually dead last, especially in customer service & satisfaction.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

Impressive, Charter!

Not using the Netflix CDN and right behind the three providers that are.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

...woo

Glad to see my provider (suddenlink) doin pretty good.. sadly their caps don't help lol, but turning off HD to lower quality stream saves a lot of data

MURICA

join:2013-01-03

No one cares about you and your lies, Netflix.

You bitrate-starve your shitty "HD" streams so low that even a pathetic 6 Mbps DSL connection from the '90s is fast enough to stream your "HD" content.

Your lists of "ISP streaming rankings" are worthless because even the cheapest, slowest speed tier of just about every broadband provider in the United States is fast enough to stream your 1080p streams.

A solidly middle-of-the-road Time Warner Cable 30 Mbps connection has enough capacity to sustain four 1080p streams from Netflix simultaneously. AT&T U-verse's crappy 12 Mbps package? It can do two 1080p Netflix streams. That's how badly they molest the quality of their HD streams.

Maybe when you start pushing streams that don't look like ass by giving them some serious bitrates (I'm talking in excess of 30 Mbps; the types of bitrates used by Blu-ray discs) the "quality" of the ISP will matter for your service.

As it stands now your standards for "HD" are so low that even the most shit tier ISPs can handle them just fine so there is zero difference between someone on DSL and someone on Google Fiber when it comes to your service because you refuse to provider higher bitrate material, and you're not fooling any of us if you try to convince us otherwise.

Google Fiber and AT&T customers alike both get the same crappy 5 Mbps 1080p stream. I have DVDs that have a higher bitrate than Netflix's "HD" streams. (The DVD-Video specifications allow bitrates up to 10 Mbps)

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Must be a very slow news day....

Netflix is looking for attention and Karl is more than happy to give it to them. Kind of reminds me of every time Mark Cuban flaps his yap and Karl gives him his needed attention fix.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to silbaco

Re: Google Fiber

Precisely why this "ranking" is 100% bullshit.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Stop ignoring Canada, Netflix.

Once again, your streaming rankings mention every Netflix territory except Canada. What's up with that?

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to MURICA

Re: No one cares about you and your lies, Netflix.

Netflix sends out heavily compressed streams because they know a large % of their customers are using connections that have caps. And they also want their streams going over wireless cellphone connections and give users the option of .3GB/hr stream quality.

Netflix quality options customizable by customer:
Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
Best quality (up to 1.0 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD) - 2 to 5 Mbps streaming.

--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to MURICA
said by MURICA:

Google Fiber and AT&T customers alike both get the same crappy 5 Mbps 1080p stream...

So you're saying nobody needs google fiber?
That actual mass content providers aren't serving any faster than DSL anyway?
That the market doesn't demand 30Mbps streams because most people aren't willing to pay the cost of that sort of service?
Face it, Netflix/ the mass market for streaming is about "instant" and cheap quantity not, film like quality.
Order the Blu-ray.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Guspaz

Re: Stop ignoring Canada, Netflix.

Unfortunately Netflix doesnt chart Canada. Go take a look at the global index. I'm sure it's probably not a technical issue, but maybe a compression/regulatory one. With draconian caps, Im assuming bitrates are much lower than US but who knows for sure without rankings. Also w/ TPIA, maybe they have a difficult time charting data..

I can tell you Rogers/TSI in GTA sucks wind from 5-10PM so Im not sure if you could even reliably stream a HD stream (caps aside).

Parents had Netflix for 3 days and then decided the pixellation and drastic difference in catalog (to the worse) between the US and Canada was not worth the price, especially after enjoying the catalog when they visit the US. I offered to VPN them (like when I visit to actually enjoy content), however that was too technical for them.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to Guspaz
Drat! Beat me to it!

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to battleop

It isn't ranking, its a rather clever, no-cost PR campaign.

The media, as well as this blog, love to find any reason to hate, and happily parrot any "findings" without bothering to interrogate them.

Netflix is crying crocodile tears all the way to the bank, invoking the Network Neutrality card, while flagrantly violating its principles and spirit.

Google is of course, happy to play along.

norm

join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

reply to MURICA

That's why during peak hours I can only stream 1mbit on my 75/35mbit FiOS connection, right? Thanks, crappy peering!

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21

LOL @ Karl

There's nothing miraculous about an in-house CDN. That's kinda how they work. Free hardware, on your network, closest to the customer.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Congratulations to the 3 subscribers on Google Fiber. You have the best Netflix experience available. Those of you on other fiber or cable ISPs who have many more subscribers than Google Fiber, sorry, but you don't get to know where you rank because your ISP isn't important enough to Netflix's agenda.

... or perhaps it has nothing to do with the number of subscribers but rather the quality of the experience for the subscribers they DO have?

To the subscribers on other ISPs who don't get to know your rank because it is so crappy it doesn't make the top 10... sorry, get a different ISP if you want to use Netflix streaming.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
reply to newview

Re: To my mind ...

Except they were ranked #3 in earlier rankings back before Netflix started punishing ISP's that didn't partner with them.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

Netflix Has Problems

Either Netflix has issues with my 50/10 Comcast connection, or Comcast is doing something to the Netflix streams. I've verified that my Netflix account is allowing the best quality streams on Netflix.

»movies.netflix.com/HdToggle

Trying to watch Avengers on Netflix and I could not keep an HD stream with my Roku. I immediately switched over to my Amazon Prime channel on the Roku and I was able to watch the same move in HD with no issues.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to MURICA

said by MURICA:

Google Fiber and AT&T customers alike both get the same crappy 5 Mbps 1080p stream. I have DVDs that have a higher bitrate than Netflix's "HD" streams. (The DVD-Video specifications allow bitrates up to 10 Mbps)

Don't forget about 3D. Those 1080P Netflix 3D streams are around 11 or 12 Mb/s.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to Cabal

Re: LOL @ Karl

Joining the Netflix CDN does not mean they use the hardware appliances. In fact the requirements are pretty steep to even get one. Most small ISPs don't even qualify.

silbaco
Premium
USA

1 edit
reply to CXM_Splicer

Or not. If it had anything to do with quality, the last 6 ISPs listed wouldn't rank in the top 100. There are hundreds of providers with ftth in the US and many well run cable companies who would rank far above Clearwire in terms of quality. There are many who would rank higher than Google in terms of subscribers. But they don't help Netflix with their agenda so they are not listed.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

I don't think this is a number of subs list......

DataRiker
Premium
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Or not. If it had anything to do with quality, the last 6 ISPs listed wouldn't rank in the top 100. There are hundreds of providers with ftth in the US and many well run cable companies who would rank far above Clearwire in terms of quality. There are many who would rank higher than Google in terms of subscribers. But they don't help Netflix with their agenda so they are not listed.

And without having their info, exactly how do you know what ISPs offer better quality service than the others?

DataRiker
Premium
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

said by MURICA:

Google Fiber and AT&T customers alike both get the same crappy 5 Mbps 1080p stream...

So you're saying nobody needs google fiber?

So why wouldn't you want faster internet for cheaper? Seems kind of strange to me.

I went from paying 79 bucks for 30 meg service to 70 bucks for 1,000 meg service.

What am I missing here?

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to DataRiker

If Netflix can tell the average speeds of these ISPs, they can surely tell the average speeds and quality of any ISP. Especially when they join CDN, which many small ISPs that can, do.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to DataRiker
Considering no major ISP is absent, I think it is pretty clear that it is with the exception of the Google Fiber.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to silbaco
So what?

They are not going to rate every ISP in the country. I seriously doubt they are simply randomly making these results up.

And another thing. As someone who has used many ISP's both here and abroad ( South Korea, Vietnam, Kansas, Missouri, Louisiana ) I can say without a doubt Google fiber is by far the best ISP in terms of both speed and quality of service I've ever had the pleasure of using. ( COX comes a close second or third as well )

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to DataRiker

Give it a couple years. You'll find you are missing your privacy, when Google fulfills their original intention of Google Fiber which people have conveniently forgotten. That is, find out the information that an ISP has on people that was previously inaccessible to Google.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to elray

said by elray:

It isn't ranking, its a rather clever, no-cost PR campaign.

The media, as well as this blog, love to find any reason to hate, and happily parrot any "findings" without bothering to interrogate them.

Netflix is crying crocodile tears all the way to the bank, invoking the Network Neutrality card, while flagrantly violating its principles and spirit.

Google is of course, happy to play along.

this

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to DataRiker
No doubt Google Fiber is a great quality service. I have yet to see a residential fiber service that isn't. That doesn't mean it should be ranked on the Netflix's chart. EPB is more than fast enough and has great service from what I hear. But they don't rank, despite probably having more subscribers than Google Fiber. My ISP has an extensive fiber network, is part of OpenCDN, and offers a Netflix experience no less than superb 24/7. They had more subscribers than Google Fiber when this chart started (might still) but they didn't rank. The point being, the chart is nothing but some game Netflix is playing to try to get the public mad at their ISPs. It is meaningless.