dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-07-17 19:12:11: The Xbox One may suck quite a bit less now that the company has backed off restrictive DRM, but the console may still raise the bar for annoying snoopvertising. ..

dmelling
join:2009-02-26
New Paris, OH

2 recommendations

dmelling

Really

Microsoft does not need to share anything. The information lands at the NSA before Microsoft gets it.

»www.zerohedge.com/sites/ ··· %203.jpg
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

Re: Really

Exactly.

If its:
a) unencrypted data
b) NSA has the keys (Snowden confirmed this?)

Then MS doesn't have to 'give any information' - its taken as a Man-In-The-Middle approach or just poached directly.

mr sean
Professional Infidel

join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

mr sean

Re: Really

Even Alan Funt had some restraint....not sure if the same holds true for the NSA.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

trust

It's hard to have any trust that such a device would NOT be used for all manner of debauchery, whether that's at the hands of bored hackers / creepers (see this: »arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· webcams/) or bored gov't hackers / creepers.

Let's face it, not many people are going to bother taking wireshark to their connection and seeing exactly what's being passed on the wire from this thing. Even then, if anyone's read anything about the way MS passed on info to the NSA, they'd know that encryption has zero bearing on their privacy of communication to/from MS (edit: see 1st post for example!).
In other words, even if all you see is "normal" traffic to MS and back, you'd have absolutely no way of knowing if a quick jpeg was captured in there, or if chunks of audio were being passed along.

Welcome to the telescreen machine.
How long before all TVs are required to include such tech?
houghe9
join:2008-02-27
Lexington Park, MD

houghe9

Re: trust

said by amungus:

It's hard to have any trust that such a device would NOT be used for all manner of debauchery, whether that's at the hands of bored hackers / creepers (see this: »arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· webcams/) or bored gov't hackers / creepers.

Let's face it, not many people are going to bother taking wireshark to their connection and seeing exactly what's being passed on the wire from this thing. Even then, if anyone's read anything about the way MS passed on info to the NSA, they'd know that encryption has zero bearing on their privacy of communication to/from MS (edit: see 1st post for example!).
In other words, even if all you see is "normal" traffic to MS and back, you'd have absolutely no way of knowing if a quick jpeg was captured in there, or if chunks of audio were being passed along.

i cant believe there is no way to disable this. lets see 1 device used by millions nah nobody will try to hack it. its a hackers wet dream.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by houghe9:

said by amungus:

i cant believe there is no way to disable this. lets see 1 device used by millions nah nobody will try to hack it. its a hackers wet dream.

There are over 25 million Kinect 1.0 devices out there. Did it get hacked? I have no idea.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

said by aaronwt:

There are over 25 million Kinect 1.0 devices out there. Did it get hacked? I have no idea.

Is the Kinect 1.0 fully integrated into the system such that it can used as a webcam or make Skype calls?

Probitas
@teksavvy.com

Probitas

Anon

If you can't trust it..

..don't buy it. On even the off chance they might have to use it to spy and simply be told tough, deal with it, we don't care if you lose customers, MS Xbox users may not become aware of it's use until Kinect pics show up in court. I could see that happening, if authorities find out from MS that some person of interest has such a set box, or that person is a known acquaintance of someone of interest, for sure they'd try to use it, with or without MS assistance.

It's getting pretty Orwellian in these parts.

nevertrustMS
@qwest.net

nevertrustMS

Anon

Re: If you can't trust it..

It really is(Orwellian state) -- Im starting to get the feeling I maybe wearing a tin foil hat someday, as I am really surprised how hell bent the "powers that be" are on making sure we are all living according to their "plan".

Essentially, as long as we all get the feeling that we are "free" and able to do as we want for the most part, and have the idea of an ability to succeed if you work hard(for the most part again), people will continue to sheep forward into this loss of privacy and rights. Not sure what will happen when those feelings and ideas change though.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

Look...

If you don't buy the thing, the NSA will be forced to send one of their people over your house with a notebook and a digital camera to observe you and YOU will be responsible for their lodging, so if you don't want an uninvited house guest, sleeping on your couch and beating you to the bathroom every morning, just get one.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

newview

Premium Member

Yea, right

quote:
Microsoft: Trust Us, We Won't Use Kinect to Spy on You
... and the check is in the mail and I won't come in your mouth.

GNShell
join:2001-02-12

GNShell

Re: Yea, right

Congratulations, today, you win the internet.

Zing!

Hardie
@comcast.net

Hardie

Anon

You know how....

...Microsoft was planning on an "always on" Xbox? Wonder why.

mikesco
@charter.com

mikesco

Anon

NSA can now track you everywhere.

Seems to me that this was a huge controversy with On Star, the feds could listen in and even stop your vehicle. Now the possibility, even if they get a warrant, that they could look right into your living room. Pretty scary!

Hackthis
@comcast.net

Hackthis

Anon

Xbox one kinect

the solutions simple. build something to go over the device while its plugged in to disable or muffle its abilities to record video or audio.

So when your not using it for a specific game you can just disrupt its output.

They can record all they want if all they're that's going threw is garbage.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Re: Xbox one kinect

said by Hackthis :

the solutions simple. build something to go over the device while its plugged in to disable or muffle its abilities to record video or audio.

The solution is more simple than that. Don't buy the new Xbox.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Still not buying One

I don't trust Microsoft.
They keep back peddling on their stance.
They wanted this to be more a Media Center than game console, then had snarky remarks at the very consumers that would buy it "You don't want online all the time, buy the 360...".
Having a camera required to be part of the system is just an opportunity for exploit.

Will there be a Kinect Bodily Functions game? Pick your nose to continue...

Yes, I supposed a piece of black tape and posterboard would block people, but who can confirm there isn't a backdoor for someone to get into.

(I have a Kinect and it is unplugged until needed)

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 recommendation

aaronwt

Premium Member

Re: Still not buying One

said by cableties:

I don't trust Microsoft.
They keep back peddling on their stance.
They wanted this to be more a Media Center than game console, then had snarky remarks at the very consumers that would buy it "You don't want online all the time, buy the 360...".
Having a camera required to be part of the system is just an opportunity for exploit.

Will there be a Kinect Bodily Functions game? Pick your nose to continue...

Yes, I supposed a piece of black tape and posterboard would block people, but who can confirm there isn't a backdoor for someone to get into.

(I have a Kinect and it is unplugged until needed)

My two Kinect 1.0 units are always plugged in. I'm not worried about it. It's there when I need it. Just like my camera and mic on my cellphone, laptops, and tablets are not covered up either. They are there when I need them.

If anyone is worried about people spying on them with Kinect 2.0, then they better be covering up the cameras and microphones on all their other connected devices too. If they don't worry about those devices then they should not be worrying about Kinect 2.0.

mrherzog
join:2001-05-06
Calgary, AB

mrherzog

Re: Still not buying One

Not even the same the thing. The kinect system is required to be ON so it can listen to you on the off chance you say, XBOX on.
Camera's in phones are not. Phones are NOT purposely listening to you for on commands. (yet)
O1OOO1O
join:2005-12-23
Lewisville, TX

O1OOO1O

NSA :

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

everybody is worrying about the Kinnect...

...but they trust the cams and microphones in their laptop, tablet cellphones etc. ?
It isn't just one device capable of watching and the NSA is not the only watcher.
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q

Premium Member

All this does

Is make me wonder how many NSA operatives that review footage see people having sex on their couch on a daily basis, in addition, how many of those are people no one wants to see naked? Lol

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer

Yeah right...

quote:
Microsoft also confirmed that the new Kinect, like the original, has an activity light when it’s turned on.
Using my DJ software trying to record my live performance, wrong input selected, I figured out quickly the microphone on my webcam is always turned on but the light remains off.

Why should we trust M$ on their words based on a "light" status? Just unplug the Kinect when you don't need it, but their new X-Box just won't work without it, or an internet connection...

Somedude
@50.103.185.x

Somedude

Anon

Like that matters.

Even if it's 100% true they won't give it to the NSA (it's never 100% true), there's still the distinct possibility that they'll give it to other authorities in the name of copyright infringement busting as a "second DRM."