dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-07-18 08:40:56: Nearly three years ago I noted how Time Warner Cable and Cablevision had struck a deal to offer Wi-Fi in 32 city parks in exchange for a fairly generous ten year franchise renewal in the city. ..

tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

library

it's better to sit in the library with the free power plugs and free wifi that tax dollars pay for than sit in the hot sun with limited access to power and internet. there are also other places you can go which are air conditioned and have better access plus power... including big box stores... & shopping malls.

the original deal was for cable companies to provide btw 30 mins & 2 hours free per day (per mac address/user) in the parks. nevertheless, the city should be forcing verizon to build MORE wifi spots as well.. cablco wifi outnumbers telco wifi at least 20:1 and in some geographies 80 - 100:1

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

1 edit

TamaraB

Premium Member

PR Smoke and Mirrors

Looking at the distribution map, it is apparent that coverage is very spotty in the parks which are claimed to be covered. Also, some of the most popular parks are not on the list. Both Botanical Gardens are absent from the list. The NY Botanical Garden / Greenway is one of the largest and most popular parks in the city. It has many areas along the river and in the forest which have benches and are cool even on the hottest days.

Central park, and Prospect park have only token coverage, and other large parks like Clove Lakes /Silver Lakes parks have no coverage at all.

This WiFi park coverage is nothing more than a hot air PR move. Nothing of substance.

Only one of the Top Ten Largest Parks in the city is covered!

Pelham Bay Park Bronx 2,765 acres
Greenbelt, Staten Island 1,778 acres
Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx 1,146 acres
Flushing Meadows/Corona Park, Queens 898 acres
Central Park, Manhattan 843 acres -------------- poorly covered
Marine Park, Brooklyn 798 acres
Bronx Park, Bronx 718 acres
Alley Pond Park, Queens 655 acres
Franklin D. Roosevelt Boardwalk, South and Midland Beaches, Staten Island 638 acres
Forest Park, Queens 544 acres

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm

Classic PR BS, in so many ways...

...and just one of them is the fact that TWCNYC WiFi does NOT accept my TWCNYC login when I try to use it on my own corner, in Prospect Park (PPW side.)
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Please

Could we please look at getting a new pic to represent NYC? His picture bears a striking resemblance to the Boston bomber. (I know who it actually is)