dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-07-29 12:25:13: While AT&T proclaimed with a straight face that the "spectrum crunch" would kill the company if it weren't allowed to acquire T-Mobile, the regulatory blockade on that deal didn't wind up being much of a problem for the acquisition hungry company aft.. ..

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Spectrum is always the....

....limitation, whether they need it tomorrow or in 10 years.
Of course in 10 year the FCC may be able to free up some more, but demand will outstrip supply eventually.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Translation:Long Lines losing customers wanting fancy phones

Long Lines was more than likely losing wireless customers to AT&T & Verizon wanting the latest/greatest smartphones anyway. They saw a way to cash in before their wireless business faded away. Probably a good deal for the Long Lines wireless customers. Coverage by AT&T in that geographical area will now be better than either Long Lines or AT&T was providing by themselves.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: Spectrum is always the....

Far as I know cell phones operate on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands. I also remember the days when there was the A carrier and the B carrier. VZW is the A side carrier in Springfield MA and B side carrier in Iowa (Cedar Rapids area).

I wonder if the Long Lines spectrum being acquired covers the Centerville area (Apanoose County). I have a friend from years ago who is from Centerville.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

FifthE1ement

LOL, what a name!?

I want to know who the heck thought it was a good idea to name the company "Long Lines"? That's like a car company naming their new car the "Lemon" lol.

5th
jdofaz
join:2013-04-15
Phoenix, AZ

jdofaz to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

A and B was pre 1900 Mhz. There are many more bands now
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

For all this trouble

they should have just outbid Verizon for the national 700 MHz band.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to FifthE1ement

Premium Member

to FifthE1ement

Re: LOL, what a name!?

It's baaaaaaaaaaaack!

AT&T Long Lines ...

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to wkm001

to wkm001

Re: For all this trouble

AT&T likes to do things the hard way. See: Uverse.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to FifthE1ement

Premium Member

to FifthE1ement

Re: LOL, what a name!?

" No long lines " or " no lines at all" would definitely been better choices.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to jdofaz

Premium Member

to jdofaz

said by jdofaz:

A and B was pre 1900 Mhz. There are many more bands now

In the United States alone there are 6 bands (700, 800, 850,AWS,1900, 2.6ghz) currently in use, with 2 more (600mhz, 2.3ghz) on the way.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

spectrum

The more AT&T takes, the less there will be for smaller competitors. This endgame is more in sight now than ever before. By forcing smaller competitors to spend more and more money they don't have will force them out of business faster. The telecom industry seldom lets assets go to waste.. whether in bankruptcy or a pre-bankrupt takeover -- the duopolization of wireless is almost complete.

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

...Iowa City, IA and Cedar Rapids, all Verizon?

From 2002-2006 I lived in Iowa city, from Chicago...however, I remember somewhere between that time we rolled out 3G. I got the latest 3G phone and always had excellent call quality. If I remember correctly, some cell sites were already owned by Verizon. Always thought it cool that Iowa City had the same tech rollout as Chicago, at the same time.
I suffered recently living in Mississippi, where 4G was available in chicago 6-10 mos BEFORE we saw a hint that they were upgrading to 4G in MS. If u went to a VZW store, and asked about 4G rolllout, they were,"optimistic to get it within the week." So I bought a 4G Motorola Razr MAXX and waited out the 4G deployment. Then one day, poof, I wake up and i'm on a 4G network and not 3G anymore. Happiest day of my life...