dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-01 08:56:44: Previously, Sprint had stated that the company planned to use Clearwire's 2.5 GHz spectrum for TD-LTE as a "hotspot" LTE network to offload traffic in particularly congested urban markets. ..

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

800Mhz LTE more important over the next year

2500 LTE will be great to augment capacity for 800/1900Mhz in the long haul but 800Mhz LTE turning on later this year will have more of a factor to bringing back customers. It will allow them to exceed Tmobile in city coverage and compete better with ATT/VZW. And 800 allows them to more cost effectively expand network into rural areas, so can eventually compete with ATT/VZW in rural coverage - Softbank claims they will match ATT/VZW rural coverage within 2 years.

2500 should allow them to sustain unlimited data if they can provide enough backhaul to every site. S4GRU users are reporting 2500 already in Denver and Chicago using hotspot devices.

Either way, no one should consider moving to Sprint until they release tri-band phones later this year that do 800/1900/2500, only triband hotspot devices are out now. Current LTE phones can only do 1900 LTE/voice, though recent phones can also do 800 voice.

It will be rough for Sprint through the end of the year but they should be in good shape by next year. Sprint is expecting to continue to lose more customers through end of year during the transition. If they can execute as planned, and Softbank big bucks increases the chances, is reasonable to say growth should start back up next year.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Thing is, they haven't jumped on the upgrade anytime bandwagon like the other three have. All they have going for them is the unlimited data.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
All they have going for them? You do realize those anytime upgrade plans are pure scams?

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to xenophon
So the 2500 allows them to advertise "unlimited data" if you pay extra for it for your life time? That sounds like it's going to come to an end soon by that ad they've been running lately.

And Sprint has treated more former customers like crap that what they'll ever see back. Just because you have a "new" LTE network doesn't mean those customers will be running back. People left them for TMO, VZW and AT&T for a reason. Softbank shouldn't be counting on those customers anytime soon, especially with Sprint's horrible customer service experience over the years and now even more issues with coverage in areas that were GREAT before this hold "ntework vision".

briankwest

@allegiance.tv
I've never had a single bad customer service experience with Sprint, I have LTE, the speeds are awesome, Its getting better by the day. At some point they'll be where they should have been 3 years ago. I don't have Verizon here, AT&T is the DEVIL, T-Mobile only has GPRS, USCC doesn't have the iPhone but they have LTE but its not nation wide. Sprint is by far the best choice they've been stable here since I switched over 3 years ago.

xenophon

reply to biochemistry
Yeah, the upgrade plans of other carriers are marketing scams as you still pay for the full price of phone, nearly double for ATT/VZW. You can upgrade anytime you want on Sprint too if you pay full price of phone.

xenophon

1 edit
reply to TBBroadband
There are a lot of bitter ex-Sprint customers for sure. They won't get a good chunk of them back. Different company now with Softbank holding the reigns. The bottom line is that Sprint should have a modern network with plenty of capacity when finished, it just sucks for them during the transition.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

now even more issues with coverage in areas that were GREAT before this hold "ntework vision".

Ain't that the truth. I'm in midtown Manhattan, zip 10022, and before March 13th, my WiMax was great, with speeds usually around the 6 meg to 8 meg range, well above the Sprint minimum spec of 3megs, as specified by Sprint under the Speeds tab at »shop2.sprint.com/en/shop/why_spr ··· 13:4GLTE .

Since March 13th, my WiMax speeds have been all over the place, with only one good period, from June 4th to July 19th. What I'm getting today is absolutely shameful:

It's ridiculous; I might as well be on 3G.

Yes, Sprint keeps promising that this upgrade will be the cat's pajamas when they ever finish it; I'll believe it when I see it.

Meanwhile my LTE has never been in spec from the get-go (as defined by Sprint in that link I posted above, with a 6 meg minimum download and a 2 meg minimum upload), since I first got it in mid-June. I had one good period, from July 4th to 11th, and that was it. Here's what I'm getting today:

The only reason why they get away with this crap is the unlimited deal. I'd love to see what happens to Sprint in ten years when municipalities around the country finally wise up and provide taxpayer-funded WiFi as Baltimore has done. It will be beautiful to see them sink slowly into the ocean. Can't wait.

xenophon

Manhattan hasn't been announced yet, they are still tuning. I'm in a mostly completed area and get 6-20Mbps, up to 30. When 800/2500Mhz gets turned on in Manhattan later this year, it will be a different story. But need a new tri-band device to get 800/2500.

Sprint simply will not be competitive with ATT/VZW until they turn on 800Mhz LTE.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by xenophon:

Manhattan hasn't been announced yet

Well, in a way they have been. If you take a look at »coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?q ··· ge%20map , you will see that they have now officially acknowledged that LTE has been turned on for most of Manhattan. About the only significant hole left is about 40 blocks on the West Side from 12th to 53rd. Which is why you will find me rather more pessimistic about the Manhattan 1900 LTE than I was a few weeks ago. I suspect it's not going to get much better than this which, for me, is not good at all. At this point, barring a miracle, I suspect the only realistic hope on the horizon for me is that the WiMax speeds go back to normal sooner than later.

xenophon

If you ever make it to Brooklyn, check out the performance. Brooklyn has been officially announced, Manhattan hasn't.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
I'm afraid I don't find that particularly encouraging. I just took a look at the Brooklyn map and from Empire Boulevard to Grand Avenue it basically looks the same as the Manhattan map. I have this strong sinking feeling that Sprint has done pretty much all they're going to do in Manhattan, except for that hole on the West Side.

xenophon

800Mhz will of course significantly boosts the coverage and penetration in buildings. That is why I'm saying they really won't be complete until turning on 800Mhz LTE later this year.

carlnyc

@myvzw.com

Manhattan and all announced markets

Maps are gimmic. The reason why you are having low speeds in Manhattan is because ebought towers haven't been upgraded with fiber backhaul thus they lack LTE. This present a big problem at the moment, because all customers with lte phones are connecting to the few towers with it. The result of this is low speeds and many times the phone don't connect at all.

Only 32% of the whole city is upgraded with LTE.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to xenophon

Re: 800Mhz LTE more important over the next year

Clearwire has 160 MHz of spectrum. That's just ridiculous. I can't even imagine how fast one's speeds would be if Sprint aggregated all of it and you had a phone that could operate on that giant swath of frequencies. The fact that they're adding it to all of their towers is just awesome.

cliffmarc

join:2002-02-19
Bethlehem, PA

LTE Build

Hey I'll be happy when I can make calls from my house

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to xenophon

Re: 800Mhz LTE more important over the next year

Just because they have a new owner does NOT mean its a different company. You can put lipstick on the pig all you want, but it does NOT change them. the same mgt in the US is still in control and will be until Softbank decides to change them or sell them when they see that there isn't a thing they can do with the current Mgt that Sprint's BoD should have replaced YEARS ago with someone that could actually run a company. And the transition? Dan should have done that LONG ago and should have moved to build out the network instead of still funneling money into a company just to be an MVNO and still is the MVNO. Sprint only understands how to resell a network to others (MNVE) and how to be a MNVO themselves. I still stand behind the remarks of Sprint will end the unlimited data as their current ads hint at and will never turn out to be any real threat to the other 2 larger carriers- let alone a threat to T-Mobile. Sprint is basically toast and it should have gone to a private investment company to really turn things around.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to xenophon
Completed? Under LTE that might be one thing. But when it comes to the Clear WiMax network; that is another. Sprint should have left it alone until things started changing, not changing now only to end up losing more customers. Maybe it's Sprint's way of saying well if you want to be on this network you get to pay us extra to keep it operating for now. Sprint could complete. Sprint should compete on price, service, and actually increase their 3G network, maybe the backhaul over all and do it now and now wait for "network vision" that is just that a "vision" that someone behind a desk had. Sprint is just costing themselves more and more and will never rebound and with more people going prepaid (even numbers show that), Sprint will never rebound unless you count their Prepaid Group.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to sonicmerlin
And that is ONLY if Sprint uses it. Clear never really used it but in the areas they had service, Cleveland was one, the service was great! 10megs down 1.5megs up 100% of the time. That is something Sprint will never fully do any time soon- if they ever do.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Just because they have a new owner does NOT mean its a different company. You can put lipstick on the pig all you want, but it does NOT change them. the same mgt in the US is still in control and will be until Softbank decides to change them or sell them when they see that there isn't a thing they can do with the current Mgt that Sprint's BoD should have replaced YEARS ago with someone that could actually run a company. And the transition? Dan should have done that LONG ago and should have moved to build out the network instead of still funneling money into a company just to be an MVNO and still is the MVNO. Sprint only understands how to resell a network to others (MNVE) and how to be a MNVO themselves. I still stand behind the remarks of Sprint will end the unlimited data as their current ads hint at and will never turn out to be any real threat to the other 2 larger carriers- let alone a threat to T-Mobile. Sprint is basically toast and it should have gone to a private investment company to really turn things around.

I'm willing to bet you $1 that Sprint will still be here next year, and the year after that and the year after that. Look, evidently they screwed you over at some point, and I am sure they're sorry for that, but your opinion is purely just that, and a biased one.

Their customer service over the last 3 years has improved markedly. I've never had a bad situation, and run into a few tech issues that they were able to help me out with. They've been more than helpful on my billing, and a few other issues we had.

Their coverage where I live is spot on (I know they're not everywhere, but NONE OF THEM ARE EVERYWHERE), and they work for me. Karl has been banging the doom drum of their unlimited data going down the tube for years (Just you wait and see....wait...keep waiting...it's coming...annnnnny minute now) and it still hasn't happened, and now that they have a cash infusion, you're saying they're headed DOWNhill? No way....brush the chip off your shoulder and realize that they've done a lot of work internally and are a good company. I've had my issues with them (and still do, no LTE here in SC yet), but I've been with ATT & CING and I assure you, their customer service was absolutely no better, and coverage wasn't all that great here, except along I95.

User experience goes a long way, but I think you need to realize when a company has made strides to change, which Sprint has, and it's working.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

hescominsoon

join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

Thing is, they haven't jumped on the upgrade anytime bandwagon like the other three have. All they have going for them is the unlimited data.

do the math..that upgrade anytime is a huge ripoff..sprint doesn't need to do that:
»market-ticker.org/akcs-www?singl ··· =3241368
--
ignorance can be fixed
Carpe Ductum - "Grab the Tape"
www.emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Koil
Just because you have no problems with them doesn't mean others do not. The fact is, regardless of the cash, Spent will NEVER be the company they once was. Have you recently read the posts on the FB and twitter accounts? Go read the 500,000 posts on customers complaining about services. voice doesn't work where it did last month, texts not being delivered, getting slammed with the same text messages for days on end and yet Sprint has no answers just says "wait for our new network". It gets old. And I never said they were going any where. I said in order for it to improve they need new MGT and Dan is NOT it. And JD Power hardly is any room for saying they're "improving" because customers say they are. JD Powers is nothing but a paid marketing company.

And their own ads hit at unlimited data going away. Why else would you sell your customers "unlimited life time data" if it was never going any where? Oh wait this is coming from the company that charged you to keep your services on a network that they were made to operate for an extra month or two. They gotta make $$ some how, including that extra $3 fee for services that others have posted about. But wait, I'm sure they take care of that for you. Since you have no problems with them.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to hescominsoon
no they just need a mgt team that knows what they're doing. Fire Dan and everyone else and bring back the American crew that provided Nextel's customer service and support - call centers that KNEW what was going on and actually helped.

DarnellP

join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Koil
said by Koil:

I'm willing to bet you $1 that Sprint will still be here next year, and the year after that and the year after that. Look, evidently they screwed you over at some point, and I am sure they're sorry for that, but your opinion is purely just that, and a biased one.

Exactly. You just have to put kyle's rantings in perspective and recognize them for the nonsense that they generally are.