dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-05 08:55:06: As many predicted would happen, Time Warner Cable is now directing users that are blocked from seeing CBS content (both on TV and online) toward Aereo's broadband streaming TV service. ..

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Showtime...

Do Showtime subscribers, get a prorated month for this male chicken waving BS?

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

Re: Showtime...

ask CBS. Considering the content companies increasing prices by massive amounts is almost universally the cause of these carriage issues, I would call CBS directly and request a refund of your monthly fee for Showtime.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

pay for aero//cbs??!?

Haha... no....
try Filmon, it's FREE just like OTA SHOULD BE!!

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Re: pay for aero//cbs??!?

said by tmc8080:

Haha... no....
try Filmon, it's FREE just like OTA SHOULD BE!!

Thanks for posting this. I just bookmarked it. Never knew this existed. Works great!

GNShell
join:2001-02-12

1 edit

GNShell to tmc8080

to tmc8080
DUDE, you just posted the link of the week!!!

Good job.
frank124c
join:2003-12-04
Brooklyn, NY

frank124c

aereo

My prediction: The big corporations such as TWC will destroy themselves with their own greed while a small startup like Aereo and possibly other such services will survive and thrive.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 recommendations

silbaco

Premium Member

Re: aereo

And how will people be able to watch Aereo when they use Time Warner Cable for internet access?
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42

said by silbaco:

And how will people be able to watch Aereo when they use Time Warner Cable for internet access?

There are ways. I am on TWC and we have no problem getting to Aereo. Trick is "vpn". Now finding a cheap and FAST reliable vpn is the trick.

All these "censoring" is making me clamoring for the wild east freedom of China (tic).

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to frank124c

Premium Member

to frank124c
How, exactly, is TWC the greedy one, when CBS is asking for a (supposedly) 600% increase over their prior carriage agreement?

The fact that TWC sees Aero as an ally should be informative.

anon_anon
@comcastbusiness.net

anon_anon to frank124c

Anon

to frank124c
Lets see here. We have Time Warner, a massive corporation that holds many media properties and a physical network infrastructure which is the sole ISP in many areas. Then we have Aereo, an internet startup that relies on a legally unproven loophole to redistribute OTA broadcasts without the permission of the broadcasters, over an internet with a last mile largely controlled by large ISPs and media companies like Time Warner and Comcast. Yeah, Aereo really has an advantage. :P

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

said by anon_anon :

Then we have Aereo, an internet startup that relies on a legally unproven loophole to redistribute OTA broadcasts without the permission of the broadcasters

Not true. Also, permission isn't needed since users must be in the physical area to sign up, and each user has their own mini antennas.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by morbo:

Not true. Also, permission isn't needed since users must be in the physical area to sign up,...

Well they have to pretend to be in the area. Their web page seem perfectly content with my "new home" in central park.

morbo

morbo

You signed up and your credit card was billed successfully using a central park address?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I did not complete the sign as I have no interest in NYC TV, but it accept the zip code and location of a building(restroom/concession stand?) inside the park, and because my CC cards allow untraceable/non-identifiable one time "cyber-safe" transaction codes I doubt I would be blocked on that basis.

morbo

morbo

said by tshirt:

I did not complete the sign as I have no interest in NYC TV, but it accept the zip code and location of a building(restroom/concession stand?) inside the park, and because my CC cards allow untraceable/non-identifiable one time "cyber-safe" transaction codes I doubt I would be blocked on that basis.

Those numbers are still linked to a physical billing address. Most likely, your idea wouldn't work.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by morbo:

Those numbers are still linked to a physical billing address. Most likely, your idea wouldn't work.

Only at the CC company, the vendor and even the in between charge processors only see an approved charge for $xx.xx linked to order#xxxxxx, if nothing needs physical delivery it's very much like a prepaid debit card.
I had an extended discusion with one of my banks, trying to decide if this was a good idea, if it was safe/smart for me to accept one time "virtual" payments from unidentified clients. Turns out not to be verifiable as ID as a $1 charge or hold would be.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to frank124c

Premium Member

to frank124c
An enemy of my enemy is my friend.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to frank124c

Premium Member

to frank124c
said by frank124c:

My prediction: The big corporations such as TWC will destroy themselves with their own greed while a small startup like Aereo and possibly other such services will survive and thrive.

Not going to happen as longs as corporations like TWC own the only usable last mile connection to the home in their territories. Aereo still needs to go over TWC wires to the home in RWC areas.

mr sean
Professional Infidel

join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

mr sean

A fight to the death in the tar pit?

Outside of The Craig Ferguson Show, NFL Football, and the increasingly rare 60 minutes piece with actual geo-political relevance, what else is there on CBS?

TImeWarner Cable with its constant price hikes, failure to re-invest in technology, and puzzlingly inept corporate strategies, continues to skirt the precipice of impending doom.

It's like watching two slow moving dinosaurs lock jaws just before sinking beneath the bubbling ooze.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Re: A fight to the death in the tar pit?

said by mr sean:

Outside of The Craig Ferguson Show, NFL Football, and the increasingly rare 60 minutes piece with actual geo-political relevance, what else is there on CBS?

I rarely stay up for the Craig Ferguson Show; don't watch any sports on TV (save the winter Olympics) and 60 Minutes, well... it ain't what it used to be, so, tho it used to be habit, I hardly ever watch it anymore.

Besides: 60 Minutes is part of NBC's "news" division. NBC's "news" people have been caught so many times "enhancing" the news that it's become entirely untrustworthy. (Did you read how they're going to do a bio on Hillary Clinton, as close as possible to the 2016 elections, and time it such that it won't fall under the equal time rule? No political bias there, eh?)

In short: NBC could disappear off the face of the planet and I wouldn't notice.

I do think it's funny how TWC is referring people to Aereo, tho. Beside the irony, there's also the "in your eye, NBC," component

Jim
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by jseymour:

said by mr sean:

I rarely stay up for the Craig Ferguson Show; don't watch any sports on TV (save the winter Olympics) and 60 Minutes, well... it ain't what it used to be, so, tho it used to be habit, I hardly ever watch it anymore.

Besides: 60 Minutes is part of NBC's "news" division. NBC's "news" people have been caught so many times "enhancing" the news that it's become entirely untrustworthy. (Did you read how they're going to do a bio on Hillary Clinton, as close as possible to the 2016 elections, and time it such that it won't fall under the equal time rule? No political bias there, eh?)

In short: NBC could disappear off the face of the planet and I wouldn't notice.

I do think it's funny how TWC is referring people to Aereo, tho. Beside the irony, there's also the "in your eye, NBC," component

Jim

CBS, not NBC.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

said by HeadSpinning:

CBS, not NBC.

Wow! Henceforth I will not comment before at least my first cup of coffee. Was that ever a massive brain-fart.

Ironically: CBS is the broadcast network we watch most.

Tho I'm not sure that means much, anyway, being as I think I could count on one hand the number of hours of broadcast TV we watch, per week, on one hand.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to mr sean

Premium Member

to mr sean
Agreed. Though what sucks for some of us that use Dishnetwork, is Dish and Raycom are fighting. Granted it's not as a large fight as TWC and CBS, but Dish users in 36 markets have lost access to station operated by Raycom.
So not only are the networks playing "hard ball", but you also have the local network affiliates playing games.

As I types this I realize there is a question or two in there.

1]If Carriers have to pay local affiliates to carry their signal, why then do the carriers have to deal with the Networks?
2]Couldn't that be considered double dipping?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I am curious, Dish pays other TV network owning companies. During this fight does anything legally stop them from sending people in currently blacked out markets a feed from the same time zone? As in what legally prevents them from sending you say the CBS station from Pittsburgh.(or even the network feed from another major city in Ohio not owned by Raycom)

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

You think they would be able, but i think te FCC and possibly the networks would have something to say about that.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
No double dipping. CBS OWNS OUTRIGHT the stations in the cities where the dispute with TWC is occurring.

Here in Hawaii the CBS station is an affiliate station and we can get CBS content. BUT when I tried to watch the trailer for The Good Wife season premiere at cbs.com a few minutes ago, I instead was rudely told that ALL TWC internet customers are blocked from viewing content at CBS.com even if they reside in areas where there is no dispute regarding the carriage of the local CBS station over TWC. Then CBS proceeded to show me a very inflammatory video blaming TWC for everything. CBS shouldn't shoot itself in the foot like it is doing. Their website could easily see that my IP is from an area where there is no dispute and let me watch the trailer. For that matter, I don't think CBS should block any TWC internet customer, be they from the areas in dispute, or not, from watching CBS content on their website.

Dish folks in Hawaii though cannot get NBC or CBS currently due to the Raycom dispute.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

As I types this I realize there is a question or two in there.

1]If Carriers have to pay local affiliates to carry their signal, why then do the carriers have to deal with the Networks?
2]Couldn't that be considered double dipping?

In this particular case, CBS owns the television stations in question. Thus, Time Warner is dealing with CBS the station owner, not CBS the television network.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to mr sean

Premium Member

to mr sean
said by mr sean:

Outside of The Craig Ferguson Show, NFL Football, and the increasingly rare 60 minutes piece with actual geo-political relevance, what else is there on CBS?.......................

Some of the most watched progams on Tv.

mr sean
Professional Infidel

join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

mr sean

Mr. Ferguson will be glad to hear that!

Football, admittedly, is the proverbial 800 pound gorilla. 60 minutes should have been buried alongside Mike Wallace.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

coxta to mr sean

Premium Member

to mr sean
The obvious solution is use a OTA broadcast antenna. It's free and the image quality is much better than either cable or satellite, assuming a decent signal.
TurtleFan
join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

TurtleFan to mr sean

to mr sean
»www.flickr.com/photos/yo ··· 9430221/
That's cold, CBS.

I am just glad I live in a FIOS neighborhood. When TV gets too annoying, I will have no problem cutting the cord. If a show is good, and lasts past 3 seasons, I will check it out on DVD..

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick

Premium Member

Say what?

So, the main reason why TW is holding back isn't because the cost but because they don't want CBS to sell to Netflix. Wow, they want exclusive rights! Who's really being greedy here? Maybe that's why CBS is trying to charge them 600% or whatever increase they are asking. Reason is they'd need to cover losses from TW's exclusive rights. If you want the full exclusive rights damn right it's going to cost you more.

Come on TW you can't have your cake and eat it to. Either you PAY the increased prices and F-over your subscribers or you let CBS sell it's content to whomever they want. You can't license exclusive rights to something and expect it cost less.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

Re: Say what?

This article on the MCN site today says the fight is over digital rights:

TWC CEO Britt Makes New Offers To CBS
CBS Calls TWC's New Offer A ‘Sham’; Programmer Dismisses Britt's A La Carte Proposal;
Digital Rights a Sticking Point in Dispute

By Jon Lafayette, Multichannel News - August 5, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· ;/144805

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

I Can Sort of See The Point

I think paying providers to keep content off of a specific medium is lousy but in some ways, TWC might have a point. CBS is demanding higher fees (what they are is anybody's guess having been reported anywhere from a $1 to $2 per subscriber increase to a 600% increase) yet also wants to double-dip by allowing the very same customers the ability to get the very same content from other sources. Basically cable customers are being extorted to pay more for content that is not exclusive yet, due to lack of ala carte, they have no option to drop CBS channels and go directly to Netflix.

I resent the increasing fees primarily because of the ever increasing amount of advertising. I still remember when paid cable channels had no advertising back in the 1980's. Now, under the guise of reducing costs to the consumer, you are basically paying to watch commercials. Take a look a Fox Business on the weekends with streams of infomercials. Yuck.
desarollo
join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

desarollo

Re: I Can Sort of See The Point

I don't disagree with your complaint that the commercial load on these channels is awful and in the 80's there were a lot less commercials and NO annoying snipes and bugs that take up half the screen.

However, aside from HBO and other premium channels, which ones were commercial free? Discovery initially ran their commercials between shows, but they always had commercials. And MTV was absolutely loaded with commercials the second they had someone buying their time.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to n2jtx

to n2jtx
Hence why they erected the Byzantine house of cards called windows. Broadcast gets first runs and seasons (so for shows that only have 15 episodes they can show them 4x in a year ), and maybe at the end of the season it shows up on Netflix or VOD. Watching syndicated shows (a vast majority of content on TV) is in effect robbing people of original content. Even for full run shows, we are talking low 20s of episodes. That means more than 50% of the time slots are reruns, which if you think about you paying for watching the same thing over again in some controlled window even more obnoxious. In the case of HBO shows, say the popular GOT, there are only TEN episodes per year, so a full 80% of that time slot is repeats... I would s**t bricks before I would pay $17/month for HBO.

And these carriage fees are simply passed along to the consumer, so it's no skin off TWC back. In the 80's there we like 10 minutes, now it's 20 minutes or more. I was checking out Miami Vice and episodes were 49-50 minutes long where now they are 39-41 minutes.

The technology exists however to eradicate commercials so time shifting is your friend.

Prices are going up because of sports contracts, nothing more. Of course actors are overpaid, but not to the level of Roman excess of sports. And these guys are doubling down on RSN now. The next wave of price extraction.... I've left the fold and get bare bones cable. I don't feel slighted, and the only reason I get it because it was cheaper than just getting internet....Now that is a joke.
georgeglass5
join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

georgeglass5

Geepers

They fail to mention that if you have a relatively new tv, you can use rabbit ears. Nothing wrong with, over the air signals. I routinely use them during heavy storms / signal fade, of my direct tv.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

1 recommendation

buzz_4_20

Re: Geepers

Not everyone lives in such a well serviced area.

IE... I live less than 15 miles from the local CBS tower... but I'm on the backside of a hill and would need a 50' mast to catch the signal.
My landlord isn't going to let that fly
frank124c
join:2003-12-04
Brooklyn, NY

frank124c to georgeglass5

to georgeglass5
I don't understand how you get such good reception on your TV. I live in Brooklyn NY and all I get is one over the air channel since they switched to hd. My solution till now was to use bit torrent, hulu and google for free tv. Then I started to use Aereo but Aereo is no good because they charge money and they don't let you watch more than a half hour at a time after which you have to close and re-open your browser to continue watching! What's that all about?! Now I found filmon which is free and lets you watch as long as you like. It seems to me that if the courts should rule against Aereo and Filmon they would be ruling against antennas altogether! They might very well do this since as Dickens said, "The law, suh, is a ass!" But if they did, we still would have bit torrent, newsgroups and whatever new thing someone comes up with including possibly starting a web service in Cuba that streams tv. Since the internet the world is no longer the monolithic playground of the big corporations!
ADL
join:2000-12-20
USA

1 recommendation

ADL

Time Warner Cable is terrible

Time Warner already charges rip off prices anyway. It's not like TWC isnt going to raise rates regardless. They just want to keep the $$$ for themselves. TWC needs to realize they are just the middle man.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Fights like this = more pirates

Fights like this tend to make more people into pirates, I think.
I pay for Netflix, if CBS or any other network is blocked from selling content to Netflix, how else am I going to get it?

Go to Itunes or Vuduu and buy a season pass? I don't think so.
Go to Hulu and be redirected to the Network website and watch it from there?
Maybe, but then I'll have to deal with ads, and possible slow loading video streams.

Or go to a pirate site and grab the show I want and watch it free of advertising?
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

This sort of makes sense

In a way, this sort of makes sense. If you get down to it, TWC likes the idea of not having to pay the networks a penny for their signals, like they didn't have to before retrans consent became law. Aereo thinks they've found a loophole. Now, if it holds up in court, it could cause the whole retransmission fees model to collapse, which the cable companies would love. If that happened and the fees the broadcasters could charge went down, the cable companies could demand even more concessions in exchange for those fees, such as...I don't know...barring the broadcasters from putting content on Netflix.

Of course, the cable companies have to be careful here. If enough people sample Aereo, these folks might decide they like it and cancel cable. Sure, the cable companies still sell Internet, but they stand to lose tons of money if their TV business goes south.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

Which article talks about Aereo?

I only see one non-DSLR link, and it doesn't say anything about Aereo.

Tamarisk
@rr.com

Tamarisk

Anon

Online Working Here

I am on TWC Internet in Ventura, CA and I can access cbs.com and am currently watching the Channel 9 news (KCAL) streaming. So it hasn't been blocked for me.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

I have called to cancel!

I am pulling the cable cards out of both of my TiVo's and packing up the Tuning Adapters.

Blocking Smithsonian and the streaming content because my ISP is also TWO was the last straw. I have only been a TWC customer 20 months, in that time DirecTV has figured out a new bracket to squeeze the slimline under the eve of my roof to hit the birds. DirecTV had an incrediable welcome back package for me newest hardware Genie and Genie Mini, more channels and hey once again I'll have 3D channels that TWC never carried and the 3D ESPN that TWC charged a ridiculous fee for is included. Costing me LESS that TWC by $10 p/m and more channels!

If only I had a choice for my ISP that wasn't AT&T or Clear.