dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-11 10:12:00: Please deposit your deepest insights into the repository below. ..

guy54435
Premium Member
join:2003-02-19

1 recommendation

guy54435

Premium Member

Great weekend

Have a great weekend everyone.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

if clear skies, watch meteor shower Aug 11 & 12

»muscatinejournal.com/new ··· 028.html

Start looking for them in the northeast any time after 11:00 p.m. and into early morning on the nights of August 11 and August 12

This month is the time of year for the great Perseid meteor shower. It is one of the best showers we have. If you like meteors at all, you should try hard to see this year's shower. If they perform as usual, we should be seeing about 100 meteors per hour, maybe more.

rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to guy54435

Premium Member

to guy54435

Re: Great weekend

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH
·AT&T Wireless Br..

CaptainRR

Premium Member

Here we go again.

Don't these guys ever give up on there patent disputes?
»www.nbcnews.com/business ··· 10887555
Otherwise have a nice weekend and stay dry!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Re: Here we go again.

Sadly no, And they never will as long as the patent system is broken enough that what should be basic features are all held under patent.

I mean if cars were like Smartphones, Somebody would have a patent on the location of the pedals and you would have to also pay a license fee to put the steering wheel on the left side. Radio? yep that would be patented too with something nice and broad... "A method of Auditory Entertainment with in a Vehicle Cabin"
jsm777
join:2010-09-02
Brossard, QC

jsm777

good weekend!

Have fun guys

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Started another new medication

Nurse practitioner gave me a medication to counter the increased appetite from the antipsychotic medication I take.

I can tell you firsthand that since I started taking antipsychotic medication back in 1998, I must have put on at least 100 lbs. At 5' 5" and 259 lbs is not a good weight for me. Today is the first day on the new medication and I'm already starting to feel less hungry.

I've had a Twinkie here and there today but nowhere as bad as the past two weeks since the offending medication was increased.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

Re: Started another new medication

What's it called?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The antipsychotic I take is called Invega, which I use to control the agitation associated with my diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. The new medication is the generic to Topamax.

The nurse practitioner said in addition to the appetite suppression of the Topamax, it can be a mood stabilizer as well so we may be able to knock down the Invega in the future.

Another side effect of the Invega is its cost, with 30 pills (one month supply) costing over $900 to my insurance company.

I used to take Risperdal years ago but that had some undesirable side effects. My insurance is trying to push me back on to Risperdal but I tolerate Invega better.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Yeah, insurance always pushes the cheapest "standard" treatment without thought to efficacy.
My idea is avoiding as much as possible the sugar goo of Twinkies isn't just calorie avoidance but chemical avoidance as well.
Finding different, slower release substitute can't hurt.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

Yeah, insurance always pushes the cheapest "standard" treatment without thought to efficacy.
My idea is avoiding as much as possible the sugar goo of Twinkies isn't just calorie avoidance but chemical avoidance as well.
Finding different, slower release substitute can't hurt.

I had one insurance plan a few years ago that was pushing mail order pharmacy service. The plan was administered by CVS Caremark. I refuse to use mail order due to variables in the shipping process such as hot/freezing temps, dishonest workers, etc. The postal service doesn't always employ 100 percent honest employees and they've been known to tamper with and rifle through packages.

Also the mail order pharmacies process so many prescriptions in so little time that there is likely to be errors.

I'd rather just fill them at the local CVS.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Nothing really wrong with mail order pharmacies, the CVS one is one of the largest due to their lower prices on common drugs. mistakes are less likely as most prescriptions are filled by a machine and the pharmacy techs just verify the pill type and dosage.
my SiL has diabetic drugs including insulin (needs refrigeration) delivered and they come in in these cool insulating foam bags (shock proof too)with an nice ice pack cheaper than any local pharmacy can match with fresher pull dates .
Having a secure mailbox or being there to sign (narcotics and certain other drugs) is a good idea but they tracked and guaranteed.

I wouldn't trust just any online pharmacy, or those in foreign countries but CVS online may be safer then what's going on at the local CVS store with the local guy behind needing to pay a few bills, probably knowing exactly what you're prescription is worth on the street.
Allways verify the pill and the dose (online PDR) is correct before taking even 1 pill

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I've experienced mistakes from small Pharmacists and Doctors alike. Always ask your doctor what medication it is, what dosage and how frequent. I've had a doctor tell me one thing and write something else on the prescription. I've had the pharmacist read the prescription wrong and dispense with wrong instructions. It doesn't really matter where it comes from IMO.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Both my primary care doctor and psych nurse practitioner e-prescribe so the prescriptions are electronically transmitted to the pharmacy. I'm sure they're entered automatically but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If they write for a schedule II prescription (certain ADHD meds, painkillers, etc) then those must be in writing and on tamper resistant paper.

The only time I get paper prescriptions anymore is from the ER or an urgent care clinic. Everyone else E-prescribes.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

I have had examples of electronic prescriptions screwed up the same as paper. Makes no difference in my experience. Always double check what you're supposed to be getting and verify what you're walking out with at the pharmacy.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Yesterday, I approved a facility to dispense Risperdal to my wife.
It means she stops risking herself today but at the price of damaging her health down the road.

It's a crappy choice.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I've been taking antipsychotics since I was 14 and I was in the hospital when I was started on it back in 1998.

I took Risperdal from 1998 to 2007 and Invega from 2007 onwards. Invega and Risperdal are from the same company and Invega was developed when the company was on the brink of losing patent protection on Risperdal.

Invega is easier to use, just one tablet once a day vs 2-3 times a day with Risperdal. I remember having to take meds at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime. And one of my Risperdal doses was at 4 PM and if I forgot that I would go off balance and all hell would break loose.

Now I just take meds in the morning and at bedtime with most of them in the morning.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

It's the weight gain that bothers me. In the long run it does it's own damage.

However, right now she needs to be stabilized. She disappeared a few days ago and resurfaced a couple hundred miles away, completely incoherent.

At least the cops up there had sense to commit her. My local sheriff's dept wouldn't want to be bothered with the paperwork.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I know the weight gain very well. I've probably put on 100 lbs in the 15 years I've been taking antipsychotics. I'm only 5' 5" and 259 lbs. I am being treated at a hospital weight management program and the MD at the program knows the weight gain from antipsychotics very well and she was pondering the idea of throwing the the Topamax into the med equation so I went to my nurse practitioner that writes my psych meds and he decided to write it. I researched topamax and it is commonly used off label to counteract the weight gain of those meds.

I'd rather have the weight gain with the newer antipsychotics (Risperdal, Invega) than the side effects associated with the first generation stuff (haldol, thioridazine, etc) that is notorious for permanent damage like tardic dyscinisia (not sure of the spelling).

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
You aren't feeling depressed are you?
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tw ··· _defense
Fairly sure, twinkies aren't that good for anybody.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I started Atarax and it has a weight gain issue too. Meh.

Blob

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

A round of..

...Saccharomyces cerevisiae for all!

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

Re: A round of..

Can I wait until it becomes beer?

Blob

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Re: A round of..

Or bread, or many/most of our other alcoholic faveorites

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

1 recommendation

firephoto

Premium Member

Your country is your people

Why is it that all the great American traditions and holidays and events are pushed into our faces as commercial opportunities? Memorial day weekend to honor our fallen vets is measured in gas prices, dollars spent, and miles traveled as we are suppose to start our summer holiday spending. Christmas is measured by which big tech company sells the most gadgets and how much turkey gravy we can spill while shopping for those things. Love someone? You need to buy jewelry and flowers or it's not really love for those designated love days throughout the year and an extra something with diamonds around christmas is highly advised. Remember when we had your favorite teams stadium, or bowl, or arena? Now we have them owned by the public with a big banks name on it or a car dealership or with not an extra thought given to the Marcellius Gallio Slave broker Colosseum in Rome... oh wait, maybe that's not what the sign out front says..

So a few people, a few businesses, a few organizations, all the overwhelming minority of this country as described by it's founding rules and laws and scripts as written centuries ago, have the overall say in what happens of the will of the majority. They buy votes, they manipulate votes, they make millions of individuals votes theirs in many ways and for the purpose of having power, being above others, being bigger, seeming better. This isn't what our country is about.

It's really why this NSA thing has gotten so much traction because Mr. Snowden revealed himself, he spoke to the world, he resonated a tone that made people understand that this is real. Anonymous sources to typical news outlets don't have the same power so it takes the media to trump up those anon reports into something that seems more credible. This one person, this individual, this voter of this country stood up and spoke.

jazzlady
join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

1 recommendation

jazzlady

Re: Your country is your people

Very good post.

I find myself in the position of loving my country, and it's people- but at the same time I hate my govt.

Every time I hear one of our alleged "representatives" blather about our "freedoms" it just makes me ill.

The US has become one of the biggest police states on earth, and we could even teach China a few new tricks.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to firephoto

Premium Member

to firephoto
the US is likely one of the few western countries where a major national holiday does not at all mean that everybody in a non life-vital job will have the day off(by life vital I mean people like cops, firemen, hospital and emergency medical workers. People we always need around in some form). I can understand the gas prices thing though because unless you are in retail which has no days off, Its one of the few weekends Americans get that is long enough to take a trip somewhere. But retail is another one, In some countries I bet everybody would close for something like a Memorial Day, In the US its a day to sell TVs for a few bucks less than usual mark up.

About Jewelery and candy and flowers for love days, This is why I am happy I am single still. I think the whole Valentines day thing is a complete sham, I mean you cannot avoid it and you have to give something but its really only that way because Hallmark said it was and has pressured with decades of advertising that now a guy is seen as uncaring if he does not get a card and flowers and take his partner out to dinner on that one day... because somehow automagically that day in Feb is worth more than say dinner and a movie and flowers on any of the other 364 days of the year.

As for stadiums well... I tend to still say Giant's Stadium even though it has some name on it. On the other hand the Philadelphia Phillies play at Citizens Bank Park and it has no other name. I commonly wonder though how they get broadcasters to say the corporate name if they add one onto a previously named sports facility years later. I mean even if Bank of America bought Yankee Stadium they would have to go to court and get a judge to order NY region sportscasters to call it anything other than Yankee Stadium.

jazzlady
join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA

jazzlady

Re: Your country is your people

said by Kearnstd:

About Jewelery and candy and flowers for love days, This is why I am happy I am single still. I think the whole Valentines day thing is a complete sham, I mean you cannot avoid it and you have to give something but its really only that way because Hallmark said it was and has pressured with decades of advertising that now a guy is seen as uncaring if he does not get a card and flowers and take his partner out to dinner on that one day... because somehow automagically that day in Feb is worth more than say dinner and a movie and flowers on any of the other 364 days of the year.

As a woman, I have to say that not all of us ladies buy into that commercial bullshit.

These ersatz "holidays" are all about enriching the corporate coffers and nothing else.

Some of us are smart enough to appreciate our husbands/partners for who they are 365 days a year, and not for what they give us on Valentine's Day- if anything- because that just isn't important.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to firephoto

Premium Member

to firephoto
Remember there are only 135 days til Christmas. Gotta start shopping soon..

»www.yourchristmascountdown.com/
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

Kommie2 (banned) to firephoto

to firephoto
Probobly because the uS allows shopping on National Holidays. In Europe the shops are closed on Holidays except Gas Stations.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Comcast was.....

Out for 12hours today because of a broken fiber optic line in the 12563 area of ny today. Totally sucked......but cc was nice enough to give us 4.78 credit for our troubles and I didn't even ask for it. It's the little thing in life.......lol!
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Sun about to explode!! We are all doomed!

Well, ok maybe it isn't going to explode but something interesting is happening... the Sun's magnetic poles are about to reverse themselves. It is the Sun's signal that we are at the half-way point in our current solar maximum. Won't really be noticeable... or WILL IT!!!

»science.nasa.gov/science ··· eldflip/

•••

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

2 recommendations

Noah Vail

Premium Member

...and Down Goes the Sky

Vancover band Au4 has put out the best album I've heard in long time.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Zpl7TdIg

It's available for free on their webiste -> »au4.ca

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· giR7XO2g

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Re: ...and Down Goes the Sky

Has a Pink Floyd feel to it....could use some stronger instrumentals

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
I like it. Downing it now.

Thanks Noah!

Blob

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Study says cellphone use by drivers doesn't cause crashes

A new study says cellphone use by drivers doesn't cause car crashes after all.
»www.futurity.org/society ··· sh-risk/

Published in the American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, the study uses data from a major cellphone provider and accident reports to contradict previous findings that connected cellphone use to increased crash risk.

“Using a cellphone while driving may be distracting, but it does not lead to higher crash risk in the setting we examined,” says Saurabh Bhargava, assistant professor of social and decision sciences at Carnegie Mellon University.

“While our findings may strike many as counterintuitive, our results are precise enough to statistically call into question the effects typically found in the academic literature. Our study differs from most prior work in that it leverages a naturally occurring experiment in a real-world context.”

Additionally, the researchers analyzed the effects of legislation banning cellphone use, enacted in several states, and similarly found that the legislation had no effect on the crash rate.

“One thought is that drivers may compensate for the distraction of cellphone use by selectively deciding when to make a call or consciously driving more carefully during a call,” Bhargava says. “This is one of a few explanations that could explain why laboratory studies have shown different results.

“In the least, this study and others like it, suggest we should revisit the presumption that talking on a cellphone while driving is as dangerous as widely perceived.”

“Our study focused solely on talking on one’s cellphone. We did not, for example, analyze the effects of texting or internet browsing, which has become much more popular in recent years. It is certainly possible that these activities pose a real hazard.”

Nothing will stop the nanny state legislators from pandering to those want to reduce to ZERO all human risk associated with living free.

•••

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Anti depressants????

Just had a bunch of gummy bears that were marinated in whipped cream vodka for a week. Not depressed, genius.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

1 recommendation

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

It's a cancer that needs to be cut out.

NSA loophole allows warrantless search for US citizens' emails and phone calls

The National Security Agency has a secret backdoor into its vast databases under a legal authority enabling it to search for US citizens' email and phone calls without a warrant, according to a top-secret document passed to the Guardian by Edward Snowden.

The previously undisclosed rule change allows NSA operatives to hunt for individual Americans' communications using their name or other identifying information. Senator Ron Wyden told the Guardian that the law provides the NSA with a loophole potentially allowing "warrantless searches for the phone calls or emails of law-abiding Americans".

»www.theguardian.com/worl ··· il-calls
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Re: It's a cancer that needs to be cut out.

sadly it will never happen, the NSA, their contractors and the government in general have sold most of the public that without a surveillance state in place the terrorists will kill everybody. Fear has been marketed and it was successful.

I mean we could make first contact with alien life, Or NASA could crack the technology needed to operate anti-grav and warp drives and the TV news would open with either car bombs in the middle east or something about the Kardashians.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai

Premium Member

Has gaming jumped the shark?

I am not going to laud ANY machine or game, because, it looks like no matter who you champion, it seems like they have jumped the shark in some fashion.

I see news items of this item or that game, and it is ok but what is actually great about it?

No really, why am I supposed to get excited?

Been there, done that seems to be about the size of it for me personally.

I sure would love to see 2014 be the year everything crashed in a heap of over hyped lacking in substance, retreaded same ole same ole, nothing really new, but you get to pay full price for it all the sameness.

No I don't wish to see your specs on this doodad or that doodad.

No I am not really interested in this upcoming game or that one.

The biggest laugh for me currently, has been Knights of Pen and Paper +1 simply because it is old looking, easy to play, and will run on anything. I loved finding this gem. Makes me wish they would do it as an actual paper n pencil game for when I want to play an actual role game with friends. I am currently doing more or less the same by printing out the framework of the game, and contemplating what would be needed to do it myself. I might even be able to make a decent go of it for under 100 pages of content.

Sometimes new is not really a bonus, sometimes they need to realize, they might have simply run out of material.
I'm not sure I even need any of the new hardware products due to arrive.

My Nintendo DSi XL was not really in need of replacement. My PS3 is just fine, my laptop works great and I am likely kidding myself if I think my Asus Transformer is inadequate. I am likely over equipped already. If the market died next year, I don't think I would care. It might take me 5 years before I really seriously need something to buy.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

... and shark week was (almost) over.

»us.cnn.com/2013/08/10/wo ··· pt=hp_t2

does speedo make anything in chainmail ?

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

from majorgeeks.com

man gets busted stealing computer from church by calling to get the porn block removed. LOL

»www.majorgeeks.com/news/ ··· ved.html

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

BBQ in the park

Click for full size
Spent a nice Sunday afternoon in Forest Park (Springfield, MA) with mother and the malamute.

Had a BBQ on a Weber Smokey Joe that I got free at Sears with my rewards that I got there. I cooked up a few burgers using Match Light charcoal (which is handy in a park setting).

The dog was not too happy about a guy and his pit bulls. He snarled at them.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Awesome way to wrap a weekend!

Click for full size
Ostracus
join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

Ostracus

Patch substitute?

I was thinking that has anyone used window screen material along with cement the same way roof patch tape is used?