dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-13 08:28:54: As the ugly feud between CBS and Time Warner Cable continues, impacted customers who can't watch content they pay for still aren't seeing service credits, and there's no indication Time Warner Cable will give them anytime soon. ..

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Guess It's Time

For customers to start cancelling TV service.

If you can't watch shows your paying for what's the point of paying them at all?

If I hadn't already given up on pay TV I'd calling to cancel ASAP.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Re: Guess It's Time

Pirated CBS content fills the vold.

neg_serye
join:2013-01-02
Boston, MA

neg_serye

Why pirate them, they are free OTA!

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Not everyone gets OTA.
I'm on the backside of a hill away from the tower, no OTA for me without a 50' tower.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to neg_serye

Premium Member

to neg_serye
said by neg_serye:

Why pirate them, they are free OTA!

Watch on my own time.

None of the tvs here have ATSC tunners on them other wise it would be a option

another good reason is able to watch them upto 2 to 2-1/2 hours in advance
jasondean
join:2009-08-28
Brooklyn, NY

jasondean

How old are your TVs? Not even a DTV converter box??

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

2 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by jasondean:

How old are your TVs? Not even a DTV converter box??

one has HDMI other one has DVI-D(with AUX input audio.)

do not have extra money for a DTV box.

the one with the DVI has a triple tuner but they are NTSC only

Dual NTSC tuner( for "SIDE by SIDE view") and AUX NTSC tuner (video games?)

this is right around were ATSC/QAM was only available on the higher end models 2004/2005 HD CRT's (16:9 ratio tubes)

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20
said by buzz_4_20:

For customers to start cancelling TV service.

If you can't watch shows your paying for what's the point of paying them at all?

If I hadn't already given up on pay TV I'd calling to cancel ASAP.

I pulled both cable cards and boxed up both tuning adapters last week. CBS I can get OTA already used it wth my TiVo's for local content. The last straw was TWC blocking Smithsonian Channel which I already paid extra for.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by PamelaTS:

The last straw was TWC blocking Smithsonian Channel.

You were corrected on this in the other thread you created last week. The channel was pulled by CBS due to no deal being reached. They COULD have given the okay for TW to allow the channel to stay on while negitiations continued, but they didnt so TW had to remove it until a deal is reached. TW is not blocking it intentionally.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 edit

elefante72 to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20
Swapped out my rents last week. I hate TWC to begin with, but thankfully I was able to move over to FIOS to rid myself of the vermin.

She was paying almost $80 for broadcast and 15/1 from TWC and she was pissed. Ran a number of speedtests and on a good day the line was 7/1, so why pay that much.

TWC is almost $20 now for broadcast (meaning the stuff blocked), and now required her to get 4 of those digital cisco boxes since they went to all digital.

Anyways moved her to Earthlink on 10/2 for $30, and off to Dish w/ a VIP tuner (only need 1 HD), the rest through coax for $38 a month (for a year). Interestingly enough Earthlink was great and answered within a minute, but once that happens you get transferred to TWC to finish the work order. 30 minute wait and the CS rep was downright rude. I say they get what they deserve.

The most amusing piece of moving to Earthlink was that she still gets billed by TWC, except I know EL gets a cut and TWC revenue went from $80 to less than $30 a month. Love it...

I don't have to say but Earthlink and Dish experience (she loved the Dish guys) was not even CLOSE in terms of customer services. TWC was an F on a good day. And yes their CS people get a good paycheck, but there is ZERO reason they have to be miserable unless they think they can bully the customer or they simply have a death wish. DTV and Dish equipment has leapfrogged TWC old skool equipment BY MILES.

So now uplink is 7/2 (still have downstream issue), and a DVR for $68, saving $12 a month for 1 year and internet is still TWC. It will go up after a year, but hey she now gets like 130 channels (vs 8) and has whole home DVR functionality.

I wonder why TWC doesn't offer the 10/2 service like Earthlink, even the rack rate is only $40, maybe because they want to charge $55 for 15/1. But in any case, that allows full HD streaming just fine and the other internet activities.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

The customer shouldn't be caring about what they are arguing about. If you are not receiving a service that you have paid for then your option to cancel is obvious. Nobody needs to be bouncing through hoops or asking for credits just to get what they paid for. If you still hold on to cable service because it's just "that" important then you can also pay the ridiculous prices. Plus the money you spend on cable you can also get out of the house and go on a cruise or spend time with the kids taking them to the movies with cash to spare for next weekend.
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound

No credit broadband cbs.com

Yeah CSR said no credit for not getting that site. TV side sounded like no credit either. Cut that cord months ago. Will get 2 Broke Girls & Big Bang elsewhere.
Gave up on Dome as too annoying to fish around for the free project sites all the time but maybe catch up again, at least no commercials. Can't see Sunday am shows and gave up on 6:30 pm news that didn't watch much anyway. Real joke when Less is More comes to real time.
G0d
join:2012-11-29

G0d

just why

If 4 and 10 dollar credits are bothering you that much maybe some of you guys shouldn't have cable. Put that money in a savings account. The problem here is everyone feels entitled to have everything no matter what the circumstances. You all know these contract disputes happen it is no surprise. You have 200+ channels and you are fixated on the ones that you most likely never even watch but since you cant now you want to. GG
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina

Ruining Their Argument

If they don't issue some sort of credit or reduce the price of the basic package, aren't they admitting the fee CBS charges is inconsequential and destroying their argument that CBS is being unreasonable? Hasn't cable been raising rates on the argument that content providers are charging them more? I think my Charter bill has a specific fee on it for locals. I don't recall exactly what it is but there's a line item that sounds like it's some sort of "rebroadcast recovery" charge.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

Re: Ruining Their Argument

said by rradina:

I think my Charter bill has a specific fee on it for locals. I don't recall exactly what it is but there's a line item that sounds like it's some sort of "rebroadcast recovery" charge.

i dont know about charter, but mediacom does. my most recent bill has it as..

Local Broadcast Channel Surcharge .................. 1.09

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

What About Cable Channels?

Everyone is focusing on if there should be credits for missing CBS network support. What is being ignored is that not only is CBS network being pulled/blocked but so are a number of CBS cable networks like Showtime and others. Since they are paid for by the customers, there should be credits for them not being supplied. As it is, TWC is collecting for them but not allowing customers to see what they have paid for. I assume that CBS is collecting for them also so this is a complete rip-off on the part of TWC (and possibly CBS).

As to CBS.COM, SHO.COM, etc. They are also being blocked from ANYONE who has TWC as their internet access provider. This blockage not only covers those who are covered by TWC in the areas where the TV feeds have been pulled but also areas where TWC is still supplying the TV (and Cable Network) support. Also those who for example get their TV from a Satellite service but Internet from TWC are being blocked from getting to the sites no matter where they are located.

kpfx
join:2005-10-28
San Antonio, TX

kpfx

Re: What About Cable Channels?

2) Customers who currently pay Time Warner Cable for Showtime or TMC should expect to see a credit for those channels in an upcoming bill. The credit will be retroactive back to the first day of the Showtime/TMC blackout. They will be credited based on the number of days those channels are not available to them.

»www.twcableuntangled.com ··· lackout/

They are crediting the pay stations like Showtime. I believe they are also giving Starz for free in their place.

And I agree that the blocking of CBS.COM is a new low. What's next.... will CBS block access for the entire restaurant industry because Leslie Moonves didn't like the price of his dinner?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by kpfx:

2) Customers who currently pay Time Warner Cable for Showtime or TMC should expect to see a credit for those channels in an upcoming bill. The credit will be retroactive back to the first day of the Showtime/TMC blackout. They will be credited based on the number of days those channels are not available to them.

»www.twcableuntangled.com ··· lackout/

They are crediting the pay stations like Showtime. I believe they are also giving Starz for free in their place.

And I agree that the blocking of CBS.COM is a new low. What's next.... will CBS block access for the entire restaurant industry because Leslie Moonves didn't like the price of his dinner?

hmm shouldn't they be crediting for Smithsonian HD and Flix? I guess not because they cost the customers very little as a part of their package?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL
said by RARPSL:

Everyone is focusing on if there should be credits for missing CBS network support. What is being ignored is that not only is CBS network being pulled/blocked but so are a number of CBS cable networks like Showtime and others. Since they are paid for by the customers, there should be credits for them not being supplied. As it is, TWC is collecting for them but not allowing customers to see what they have paid for. I assume that CBS is collecting for them also so this is a complete rip-off on the part of TWC (and possibly CBS).

As to CBS.COM, SHO.COM, etc. They are also being blocked from ANYONE who has TWC as their internet access provider. This blockage not only covers those who are covered by TWC in the areas where the TV feeds have been pulled but also areas where TWC is still supplying the TV (and Cable Network) support. Also those who for example get their TV from a Satellite service but Internet from TWC are being blocked from getting to the sites no matter where they are located.

TWC has offered Stars package as as replacement

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

And if your already paying for Starz as well....... There is not "value" in providing that to us.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

ask for credit or get sattlite

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

I did and they refused, told me to call back tomorrow.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

business understands one thing: money

when you unsubscribe from video, it sends the message loud and clear. take from me, and I take from you. if the terms of service at the moment are unpalatable then you unsubscribe, pack up the cable boxes and send them back. it's not as if the alternatives for streaming aren't growing by the day... in a few years you will be able to buy or find most cable-tv content online (to stream or download) for fee or free.. so why put up with an entertainment industry who fights on how much higher your cable-tv bill will go with forced bundles of channels?

it is comical how the OTA companies seem to want to hold OTA programming (which is of little value) hostage to get ever higher fees for the 'PREMIUM' content as a bulk/bundle deal-- a take it or leave it deal at that. consumers are getting tech savvier and angrier by the day and will end up viewing cable-tv content as they do music and movie theatre movies.. as downloadable content via bittorent, streaming or file sharing sites. the old model is dying.

iptv/p2p(tv) will take over in less than a decade with universal broadband as the conduit (caveat that it still is unlimited in the wired side of the business). little do these companies know they the more they fight (and jack up the bill), the faster this accelerates.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Re: business understands one thing: money

Unfortunately, it seems that more streaming options are taking the route where you have to verify that you have a TV subscription to get access to online streams. In fact, CBS is blocking TWC customers from gaining access to their online site. In places where there are no real options available with speeds high enough to allow for a stable video stream, there isn't much anyone can do.
Couch Potato
What?
Premium Member
join:2004-08-29
Statesville, NC

Couch Potato

Premium Member

It's the off season

There's nothing good on CBS during the summer, not until the shows start back up in September.
jasondean
join:2009-08-28
Brooklyn, NY

jasondean

The fight isn't just about CBS

This is a great article that has everything to do with the CBS/TWC without being directly about it:

»www.deadline.com/2013/08 ··· tus-quo/

It's fairly obvious to anyone with a grade school education that it's all about Wall Street and lining the pockets of broadcasters. Yes, TWC makes a ton of money as well but they are more a middle man than the source of the problem (with the exception of TWCSN where they play both sides of the field). If the broadcasters feel that we'll sacrifice food and shelter to watch their programming, then they have us over a barrel as if we were drug addicts looking for a fix. In some cases, the good news is the drug is free!! All you need is an antenna. Can't afford the designer drug known as Showtime? I'll take the cheap stuff known as CBS from the guy in the alley. Either way, the dealers are making a buck or two.

Sports league contracts and high production costs for networks mean they have to find a way to recoup those costs and they feel that the OTA stations should be on the same playing field as ESPN. (My take: Charge more to Coke and Pepsi and Budweiser for a 30 second spot. Stop trying to overcharge customers directly.)

Local news has taken a huge hit as their budgets have been slashed and in some cases multiple stations in a market consolidate resources.

In the end the consumer will wind up paying more and broadcasters will deliver less for free. Maybe we'll wind up paying a TV tax like in the UK:
»www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD

Premium Member

Re: The fight isn't just about CBS

said by jasondean:

This is a great article that has everything to do with the CBS/TWC without being directly about it:

It's fairly obvious to anyone with a grade school education that it's all about Wall Street and lining the pockets of broadcasters. Yes, TWC makes a ton of money as well but they are more a middle man than the source of the problem (with the exception of TWCSN where they play both sides of the field). If the broadcasters feel that we'll sacrifice food and shelter to watch their programming, then they have us over a barrel as if we were drug addicts looking for a fix. In some cases, the good news is the drug is free!! All you need is an antenna. Can't afford the designer drug known as Showtime? I'll take the cheap stuff known as CBS from the guy in the alley. Either way, the dealers are making a buck or two.

Sports league contracts and high production costs for networks mean they have to find a way to recoup those costs and they feel that the OTA stations should be on the same playing field as ESPN. (My take: Charge more to Coke and Pepsi and Budweiser for a 30 second spot. Stop trying to overcharge customers directly.)

Local news has taken a huge hit as their budgets have been slashed and in some cases multiple stations in a market consolidate resources.

In the end the consumer will wind up paying more and broadcasters will deliver less for free. Maybe we'll wind up paying a TV tax like in the UK:
»www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

Thing is, the UK TV license fees support the BBC, which produces many channels of original programming, all commercial free. The only thing close to that here in the states is PBS, which is supported by members who voluntarily donate to them. I'd pay a TV tax, if it meant ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX were commercial free.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Re: The fight isn't just about CBS

said by NickD:

said by jasondean:

»www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

Thing is, the UK TV license fees support the BBC, which produces many channels of original programming, all commercial free. The only thing close to that here in the states is PBS, which is supported by members who voluntarily donate to them. I'd pay a TV tax, if it meant ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX were commercial free.

"TV tax" is a stupid tax
no way to meter why should I be forced to pay for something I do not use.
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

Fickey to NickD

to NickD
said by NickD:

You already pay a TV tax:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co ··· dcasting

piper
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY

piper to jasondean

Premium Member

to jasondean
Obviously, you don't understand the tv license in the UK

You don't need a set-top, channels aren't scrambled

You can go to any store and buy any dvr you want and use it, 4-8 tuners

You don't get a remote control fee, dvr fee, every-room-in-the-house-fee and you get hundreds of channels.

My wife is from there, we have a house there and just came back from a 3 week mini vacation

What you pay for the license per year, is cheaper than what I pay per month here (US)

It took a long time for my wife to understand how much we get gouged here in the US, lets not talk about phone service or cell phone service and how dirt cheap it is over there compared to here.

It is actually disgusting here in the states - tv, phone, internet

TV in the UK is so much better & cheaper than here, and they still make a profit, here, is about greed.

Core
@comcast.net

Core

Anon

Networks on local cable

Does anybody remember when cable companies 'begged' broadcasters to be able to distribute their content? And they grabbed it directly 'off the air'. Times really change.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

So

How about the Showtime content people are paying for and not getting?

•••
markbot
join:2012-11-21
New York, NY

markbot

TWC doesn't pull CBS CHANNELS!

I'm so tired of this website saying that TWC is pulling the CBS content. NO....it's CBS that is pulling their content from TWC since TWC isn't legally allowed to retransmit CBS content if CBS doesn't allow it. HOWEVER, CBS is legally allowed to force TWC to broadcast its network channels.

CBS is free over the air...they do not pay for their spectrum and they force us to watch their annoying commercials...and they purposely make their over the air signal crappy so we have to subscribe to cable tv or satellite...then they charge us for their free content.

So, in summary they get very valuable spectrum for free but don't utilize it efficiently, make us watch their crappy commercials (unless u have a dvr), and charge us for the free content since their signal sucks.

They also bundle CBS with a bunch of crappy cable channels and force TWC to carry it all and pay for it...and then we, the consumer, has to get channels we don't even watch....when all we wanted was CBS and maybe 1 or 2 cable channels. and now CBS is making that content available online for FREE!!! so they are forcing the cable tv company to pay for content no one watches and CBS makes it available online for free. hahah. john malone needs to consolidate the cable industry so they can negotiate better terms on behalf of consumers.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

Re: TWC doesn't pull CBS CHANNELS!

said by markbot:

CBS is free over the air...they do not pay for their spectrum and they force us to watch their annoying commercials...and they purposely make their over the air signal crappy so we have to subscribe to cable tv or satellite...then they charge us for their free content.

So, in summary they get very valuable spectrum for free but don't utilize it efficiently, make us watch their crappy commercials (unless u have a dvr), and charge us for the free content since their signal sucks.

My OTA signal for CBS and all other local HD channels is slightly better than Verizon FiOS, certainly not crappy at all. No one forces you to watch commercials. Hit the mute button and pat the dog or stroke the cat while the commercials are running.