dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-13 14:04:17: Back in 2008 Verizon negotiated a closed-door agreement with NYC mayor Mike Bloomberg that agreed to wire 100% of the city with FiOS by the end of 2014 -- sort of. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

The deal has been made.

CATV gets the land line TPC gets wireless.
quote:
If Verizon has trouble accessing certain buildings, they get a sort of nastygram package hinting at dire outcomes:

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD

Anon

Building owners have the right to....

..... do business with whoever they want. If VZ wants to buy out some owners existing deals with providers, then great. Otherwise, they don't have to talk to you.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

The better question is how long ago did the resident that wanted FiOS request it and how long ago did they move? It could have been several years ago and now just VZ wanting access- they should be told "no" you are not coming in.
RJARRRPCGP
join:2010-12-17
North Springfield, VT

1 recommendation

RJARRRPCGP to batterup

to batterup

Re: The deal has been made.

Verizon seems to be digging their own grave, by refusing to offer Fios in most towns.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to JasonOD

Premium Member

to JasonOD

Re: Building owners have the right to....

Don't you work for Comcast?
ADL
join:2000-12-20
USA

ADL

Verizon cherry picks FIOS deployments

I don't feel bad for Verizon they don't repair crappy DSL lines and cherry picks Fios deployments.

They were never going to deploy to all areas anyway.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup to RJARRRPCGP

Premium Member

to RJARRRPCGP

I know many who can get FiOS and don't. Verizon can lead a subscriber to FiOS but can't make her subscribe.

That said the last "Telephoneman" Seidenberg is gone and McAdam, from wireless, is large and in charge. Verizon will try to get back as much of the $23,000,000,000.00 spent on FiOS but will not seek any new contracts.

That said this is what "Ma" said you MUST have, "Ma" knows best for over 100 years.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Why was the cover removed from the ONT?
OSUGoose

2 recommendations

OSUGoose to JasonOD

to JasonOD

Um, no. There is Telco facilities in some buildings, denying them access to upgrade/maintain is illegal. The landlords are simply trying to extort more money out of VZ to gain access to existing stuff.

Imaging you owned a building, and it had VZ stuff in it to service your residents, well you've now signed a sweetheart deal with the cable company 10-15 years later. VZ comes and say hey we need access to upgrade our stuff, and you deny them access as that would mean your residents wouldn't use the cable company you get a kickback from. So you say yea sure VZ you can have access if you pay me x. VZ refuses and so your residents unable to even get their existing services repaired go to the cable co, thinking VZ is BS'ing them for all their services.

That's what's happening more often then not.
mjmellin
join:2005-06-24
Englishtown, NJ

mjmellin

Verizon Cherry Picks

Our Condo association contacted Verizon probably 3+ years ago about getting FiOS deployed for our community. We went through the process and provided written permission for them to dig and everything. They then turned around and stated that deployments are frozen. Since then I am under the impression that our townhome complex will never see FiOS even though it is on the main street outside of our community.

AnonMe
@comcastbusiness.net

AnonMe

Anon

Is that seriously what a FIOS install looks like?

I've never actually seen one of these installations first hand. Was beginning to wonder if it actually existed, or just urban legand.

Is all that non-sense really what it takes?

That picture looks like a:
ONT
Battery backup
AC power adapter
FIOS Coax router (whatever they call this device)
Router power supply
Coax splitter

And I can only imagine that many people don't have two free outlets, so now they need an outlet strip.

That's five separate components! You'd think all of that would be built into one, compact box, with one power cord!

Guess that's one more reason Verizon can't figure out why it costs them so much per install!

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup to OSUGoose

Premium Member

to OSUGoose

said by OSUGoose:

Why was the cover removed from the ONT?

I don't know, not my picture, as I will never get FiOS at my premises.
batterup

batterup to AnonMe

Premium Member

to AnonMe

Re: Is that seriously what a FIOS install looks like?

said by AnonMe :

And I can only imagine that many people don't have two free outlets, so now they need an outlet strip.

It requires a dedicated "Telephone use only" outlet, one time only all professional setup .
batterup

batterup to mjmellin

Premium Member

to mjmellin

Re: Verizon Cherry Picks

said by mjmellin:

Since then I am under the impression that our townhome complex will never see FiOS even though it is on the main street outside of our community.

Does your serving Central Office offer FiOS? If not it has nothing to do with your complex, it has to do with Verizon not seeking new contracts. The money is in wireless. FiOS is expensive to deploy compared to 4G and 4G is WAY less regulated.

This "cherry-picking" is old and false, once again I call your attention to where FiOS was mandated to be placed in NJ with no thought of return on investment.
quote:
Verizon Communications employee is shot in Irvington
»www.nj.com/news/index.ss ··· s_s.html

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose

I've seen instances of this happen with Home Owner's Associations. It's true.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
There is a difference between maintaining and upgrading. It is not the property owners fault VZ waited all this time to "upgrade". They are still able to obtain access to maintain and that is what the property owner wants; them to maintain it. Their network does NOT depend on installing FiOS or even upgrading to it. FiOS should be a service that is NOT forced onto the customers. And you do realize that FiOS doesn't get "repaired" as current services. It's all digital VoIP the same as Cable. Nothing to repair but many the Ont which is rare.

Nycmdu
@myvzw.com

Nycmdu

Anon

Read the franchise

Agreement for NYC is 12/31/14 not 1/1/14 so stop with he 4 month crap Karl. U won't get 100% by end of '14 but certainly will be higher than whatever it is now.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

OSUGoose to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

Maintenance can include facilities replacement, if the ILEC is migrating to a all fiber network.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to batterup

Premium Member

to batterup

said by batterup:

I know many who can get FiOS and don't. Verizon can lead a subscriber to FiOS but can't make her subscribe.

Tell that to the people being forced on to it when Verizon refuses to fix their landline.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to AnonMe

to AnonMe

Your assertion is absolutely ridiculous.
PapaMidnight

PapaMidnight to ADL

to ADL

Re: Verizon cherry picks FIOS deployments

The City of Baltimore understands this all too well.

Hell, I live in Baltimore County and we're JUST getting fiber laid in our neighborhood (though the street 1 block up has had it for 3 years).

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer

said by CXM_Splicer:

Tell that to the people being forced on to it when Verizon refuses to fix their landline.

FiOS is a "landlne". FiOS was the last attempt at landline and it failed for several reasons even though once in, it is the best way to go. Well what would one rather have FiOS or that voo-doo wireless "POTS" Sandy victims are being forced on. Funny how CATV gets a pass, well they are NOT TPC.

Think about it, 4G through the walls and bone no property owner permission needed.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer to mjmellin

Premium Member

to mjmellin

I have had probably 15-20 supers come up to me over the past 2 years and ask when their building is going to get FIOS (in NYC). They have contacted Verizon, building owners are on board, CO is FIOS capable, building next door has it... still no FIOS.

When it IS the landlord refusing access, it is not about money but about quality of materials/work. Giving a building FIOS is an intrusive installation, not just a simple 'upgrade' of existing copper plant. Landlords know other landlords where the FIOS build didn't go very well. There is a complete lack of communication between sales and construction... specific requests of the landlords never make it down to the guys who go out to do the work.

In the end, no one gives a shit because the stock is going up

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup to PapaMidnight

Premium Member

to PapaMidnight

said by PapaMidnight:

Your assertion is absolutely ridiculous.

Perhaps for multiple unit buildings but I was commenting on the photo and was referring to single unit premises. Let me guess a socket on a light switch is OK down there?
batterup

batterup to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer

said by CXM_Splicer:

In the end, no one gives a shit because the stock is going up

And it has paid a cash dividend every quarter for 100 years.
Dividend Yield 4.19%

carlnyc
@myvzw.com

carlnyc

Anon

ok lets build a great excuse

by blaming all NYC landlords. hey we cut a deal with the cable companies for that prestigious AWS spectrum. Our new cable friends asked for one condition to stop the build out even in current cities such as new york and Philly after all we don't want to upset our cable monopoly friends Comcast and timewarner cable.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to AnonMe

to AnonMe

Verizon wanted to use moca exclusively but then a patent dispute arose. Eventually MOCA 2.0 will resolve much of this problem. Ethernet and DSL over phone line is too range bound for high rise buildings. They must use coax or install fiber all the way to each unit for installation of an ONT. Verizon probably underestimated how much money it would cost to wire NYC PROPERLY.. and if they did never had any intention of 100% deployment.

Nevertheless, there is a simple solution for not getting access to do the construction. Skip the building (rather than do a half-ass install) and divert those resources to upgrading outside plant so that customers can get faster speeds (south brooklyn & LI suburbs for example). Cablecos like Cablevision aren't waiting to offer faster speeds and Verizon will be caught behind unable to offer similar speeds with a FTTP solution. Quite a PR problem brewing... could be as big as DSL under the old RBOC days..

The future is voice/internet lines... Video & cable tv are the value added propositions as many people will stream/download video in the future.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer to batterup

Premium Member

to batterup

said by batterup:

FiOS is a "landlne".

Yes, and many that don't want it are being forced to it anyway. The people who can get FIOS are going to get it... like it or not. Verizon IS making them subscribe.

As far as replacing FIOS with 4G, it simply isn't going to happen. 4G can't come close to the bandwidth of even the Internet portion of FIOS to a neighborhood much less the HDTV. Verizon could replace wired Internet with maybe 6G (assuming comparable revision upgrades) but they would have to drop the TV service; very possible considering their collusion with cable companies as of late.
jasondean
join:2009-08-28
Brooklyn, NY

jasondean

Rather than threaten...

I can understand Verizon's frustration as they want remove all copper but there has to be a compromise from everyone at some point!

I'd love FiOS in my building but I don't see it happening any time soon in a rental only. It's not like the owner cares unless they get a nice kickback or freebies. As a renter, I have never been asked about what service I would prefer or if I would even like an option. TWC is in and we have to accept it.

Now, if Verizon wanted to publish a simple list of buildings where they offered FiOS and were refused, at least the residents can look it up. Then the residents can make their own push to press the owners to make the switch. I'd even sign a petition for Verizon to present to my landlord stating I would immediately sign up with FiOS. No anonymous letters, accountability, and a clear message to TWC that we are ready to leave you because of crappy service.

I realize that there are people who rely on POTS and I certainly don't want to take that away from them but there has to be a way where everyone wins.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Well in MDU they have the option to deploy VDSL to the CPE and optical to the distribution point. This is very similar to say AT&T Uverse, but in that case the only construction mod is where they put the ONT. Not sure if that is still the preferred deployment method for sticky sites.

In NYC though there is never a uniform answer. In some cases landlords are "on the take" and some Verizon is not depending upon the anticipated ARPU and where fibre was laid Verizon may be stalling.

And lots of stuff was run though the steam, and since Sandy that has been a mess.

Back in the day we used to have to pay off lift operators (operators union) to get equipment into buildings and the guys at the dock too. Sometimes the IBEW wanted their cut too. Lets just say I had to take lots of "trips around the rotary" to pay off those expenses.

NYC is old world in many respects that way.
page: 1 · 2 · next