spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-14 10:52:18: Last year Southwest airlines began testing in-flight live TV streaming that allows users to get free television to any device. As of July 1 of this year the rollout is complete, but the service currently remains free of charge. ..

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

A question regarding your review

I noticed that you didn't mention whether Skype or other VOIP products were also blocked on this service. Though with the lag times you mention I seriously doubt they'd be of any real use

I'll be flying to Japan next month and so I'll be seeing what Air Canada is offering on this route, though I too am packing my own entertainment just in case whatever Air Canada is offering proves to be... Disappointing.

NefCanuck

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

Very interesting!

Which did you use on your wifi devices, "g" or "n"?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

free with status

if you fly swa enough -- 'a-list preferred' members receive wifi for free, a very nice perk to have for the frequent traveler.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

I paid 12 bucks

I paid 12 bucks for the privilege of using the GoGo Wi-Fi on AirTran when I flew to Broward County Florida from Portland Maine in August of 2011. I wished I could have used my Mi-Fi but cell devices are prohibited on aircraft. I did use my MiFi in the hotel room.

I went down to Florida to clean out the house that my grandma was forced to sell as part of her ex-husband's estate settlement. On the return trip, I slept on the way back as I was pretty much tired. Going into a house with no utilities in the Florida summer is no fun at all.

At least jet lag wasn't an issue like it was when I went back to my hometown of Cedar Rapids IA in 2004.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Sahrin

join:2004-05-15
Houston, TX

Just a nit

But the iPad 4 comes with an A6X, not an A6. The A6 is in the iPhone 5.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: I paid 12 bucks

Cell-phone based devices don't work in airplanes most of the time. You are too far from ground towers, the towers' signals are mostly pancaked, not running vertical (with the exception of some urban areas with a lot of high-rises), and there are too many tower hand-offs to do anything. Oh, and did I mention that aircraft are made of aluminum and have a ton of other metal in them that would prevent a cell phone based device from working most of the time.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

8 bucks isnt imo for a 3-4 hour flight id pay it
id pay 6-7 for some thing read on a flight any way

BiggA

EARTH

Interesting

I would hope there's no lag streaming from a server that's 50 feet away. Also, considering an onboard server has to store all the on-demand stuff, it's not surprising that there's not a lot of choice.

I wouldn't pay for internet in-flight, I just listen to an audiobook, but apparently they are finding enough people who are willing to pay the absurd rates required to bring that sort of connectivity to an airplane barreling through the air at 500mph to justify not only the installation cost, but also the weight of the routers and servers required to aggregate linear TV, VOD, and satellite internet and last it all back out through Wifi.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
reply to Sahrin

Re: Just a nit

Good catch! Should also state i7 3610 QM.
I blame the fact-checker

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

1 edit
reply to NefCanuck

Re: A question regarding your review

Unfortunately I'm not a Skype or mobile VOIP user, so those were not on my radar.

Battery life should also have been addressed as Southwest does not currently offer any means to recharge devices onboard. Most Southwest gates, however, do seem to offer convenient charging locations. The MSI laptop was at 80% battery at the end of flight, 74% on the iPad, the poor EVO 3D was almost drained somewhere over Montgomery AL.

Please excuse the omissions.

I'd be curious about Air Canada offerings. Perhaps you could contact Karl and write up a review?
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

elios

Springfield, MO
reply to BiggA

Re: Interesting

8 bucks if far from absurd for a full day
i have paid that much for a few hours at a lan cafe

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to mr sean

Re: A question regarding your review

Understandable, you aren't flying with the purpose of testing broadband offerings, you're flying to go somewhere.

Since my flight is about 13 hours each way it should give me plenty of time to see what Air Canada offers and submit my thoughts (I'm actually also looking at renting a wiFi / mifi hotspot while I'm in Japan as well so I can report on that as well)

NefCanuck

CoolMan

join:2008-01-07
Tennessee
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Nice!

Very nice and well written review mr sean!

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia
reply to axus

Re: Very interesting!

It's like alphabet soup to me
All three devices are 802.11 b/g/n.
Backward compatibility ensures a connection, sometimes that's all that matters for me.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

BiggA

EARTH
reply to elios

It's a total waste when you're paying $20-$30/mo for a data plan on a cell phone. That's 1/3 the price of a whole month for a few hours. There is no practical way to deliver the bandwidth required for a cost-effective in-flight wifi system in the forseeable future.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to elios

Re: Interesting

I pay at home and for my phone. That's it. That handles anywhere I would go and everything at home. I can wait an hour or two to reconnect to LTE at the next layover. If I travel internationally, I can converse and use an international data plan or get a local SIM.

elios

Springfield, MO
reply to BiggA

you can totally use your cell data on a plane >.>

8 bucks isnt bad to check forums and chat on IRC for a few hours

BiggA

EARTH

You can't, but the price comparison isn't favorable AT ALL. I'll just go without for a couple hours rather than paying 100x the rate I'm paying for cell phone data (by time).