dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-16 08:30:59: AT&T has announced a new deal with Camden Property Trust to deploy U-Verse fiber to the home to select "high-end" apartment developments in Atlanta, Austin and Orlando starting later this year. ..

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

$5000+/mo

shame they're saddled with T speeds and not fios.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

2 edits

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Wow! High end apartments get slower speeds then cable!

At a higher price too!

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

Why not to the "HIGH-END" villages?

Shiz, I live in a town where the median home value tops 1.5 million and is densely populated. HELLO...profit?!?!
PS I don't live in one of those home, I live in a modest 250k condo/apt
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

AT&T

AT&T does not service Utah on their native footprint. It was Nevada - which was stated in the blog post you linked to.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008

Re: Wow! High end apartments get slower speeds then cable!

said by Metatron2008:

At a higher price too!

So, are you saying that they will get fed up with the ATT speeds then switch to cable?

I would just skip ATT and go with cable.

Blob

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to whamel

Premium Member

to whamel

Re: Why not to the "HIGH-END" villages?

Because you guys could probably get real speeds, not At&t, pretty easily.

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

I use U-Verse, get 24/3. Comcast is available but nodes are oversubscribed...
radougherty
join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX

radougherty

Thanks to Google

Ya think that Austin was picked because Google Fiber is coming? Bet if it wasn't for that Austin wouldn't be getting anything.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What about working class apartments

They'll probably charge the same rates that they charge for DSL to run down apartments knowing AT&T's business practices.

I live near a public housing complex and I know some of the Comcast installers and the residents there order some pretty expensive packages. Maybe Verizon could wire those for FiOS and get a decent return on investment.

Whatever the service offered, they should price the services to reflect the quality of the services offered. DSL should be 19.95 per month at most. Cable internet could go for anywhere from $30-60 and FTTH could go from $80-100.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to whamel

to whamel

easier to install it in new apartment homes. and fiber to the home is a lot more work then running fiber in Apartments.
Joe12345678

Joe12345678 to workablob

to workablob

said by workablob:

said by Metatron2008:

At a higher price too!

So, are you saying that they will get fed up with the ATT speeds then switch to cable?

Blob

To bad that Comcast cable TV sucks. Have DSL in area that is getting U-verse installed new ped in place and powered. But want to keep directv. U-verse tv still does not have NHL network back.

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678

True, not alot of line dropping. U can split a fiber line to individual subscribers, say for an entire building of say 3 buildings. Each building getting their own fiber trunk. Makes sense....buy if Google Fiber can do it, why not AT&T?

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678

said by Joe12345678:

said by workablob:

said by Metatron2008:

At a higher price too!

Blob

To bad that Comcast cable TV sucks. Have DSL in area that is getting U-verse installed new ped in place and powered. But want to keep directv. U-verse tv still does not have NHL network back.

I only watch H2 and Mil channel so I can't comment on the TV side as it is mainly for my Mother-in-Law.

The internet side is 30/6 for me and works well.

Blob

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

clauses for BW&caps increases, BW/$ control over time?

Would such "deals" routinely include measurable numeric conditions requiring the service (down and up) over time gets faster, more cost-effective, and higher caps by certain factors? (Given ATT FTTH emulates 50 year old copper, even asymmetry from cross-talk).
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

Got a call from AT&T

I've been getting hangup calls from "Columbia House", so yesterday I answered the phone, just to find out what they wanted. It turned out to be AT&T, although I forgot to ask why the caller ID showed Columbia House.

Anyway, it was a salesman from AT&T trying to sell me phone/internet/TV service. When I asked about speeds, he told me about their 45 Mbps service. I told him that I currently have 100 Mbps with Cablevision. He went into the standard sales pitch about how since Cablevision uses a shared line I wasn't really getting all that speed and how with AT&T's fiber to the home I'd get much better speeds. When I told him that my speedtests registered around 104 Mbps he was surprised. I told him that I'd always had good luck with Internet speeds and that I must live in a good location. He then said that if that was the case, if I signed up for U-Verse fiber, I'd probably get even higher speeds because some AT&T fiber customers had gotten speeds as high as 200 Mbps. He also claimed that AT&T no longer has any official limit on internet usage.

He was pushing for me to sign up for a free trial, but I told him that I'd rather stick to Cablevision. BTW, I'm in CT.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

The sales guy is lying and deceptive. Would be quite fun for then to try and install the equipment and then tell them to take it all out and leave after they can't deliver.

For fiber to show it's real bandwidth it must be fed by Ethernet on short runs or Moca (capable of slightly longer runs). Not even Verizon is competing with 100 megabit service at $45 yet. Wait and see what 2014 brings.. maybe there will be something better that they can actually deliver on.

It's a foregone conclusion if you cancel the OOL at $45 and try to get it back, you probably can't since they haven't decided to lower the price for new and/or returning customers. This is primarily why Verizon's not obligated to respond or compete, because it's (an alleged) temporary retention gimmick. This remains to be seen what happens next in 2014 as promotions expire.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509

Wireless is the answer

Guess who thinks wireless will deliver the needed speeds?
tigerpaw509

tigerpaw509 to Rekrul

to Rekrul

Re: Got a call from AT&T

Texans
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to tmc8080

to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

The sales guy is lying and deceptive. Would be quite fun for then to try and install the equipment and then tell them to take it all out and leave after they can't deliver.

He made it sound like the highest speed tier was uncapped and you just get whatever speed you're capable of receiving. I should have asked him that, but I never think of these things at the proper time.

TheToro
Premium Member
join:2003-06-05
Atlanta, GA

TheToro to Rekrul

Premium Member

to Rekrul
he lied to you, first of all, the 45Mb profile is only available in CA, this is only if you have FTTN-BP .
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to Rekrul

to Rekrul
Full disclosure of the number of line feet the DSL would run can give you a decent estimate of what speeds you could see from such a so-called uncapped service and the quality of that copper is almost as important. Assume any copper older than 10 years might have excessive noise on it.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to tmc8080

to tmc8080
I would love to get one of those sales people on my phone.. My ISP is using fiber Ethernet and they even claim "dedicated bandwidth". Not just a dedicated fiber back to the CO, but your bandwidth is also dedicated within their network.

Anyway, DSL is shared at the DSLAM.
jtorre69
join:2005-12-26
Hollywood, FL

jtorre69 to tmc8080

to tmc8080
I don't know where you get your facts, but my home and the copper feeding my Uverse is over 30 years old. I get 30/5 profile on my service, and have yet to have any problems with my Uverse. I think your 10 year theory is nothing more than a random opinion. Let's stick to the facts.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to whamel

Premium Member

to whamel

You and your neighbors should start and build a FTTH network.