dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-18 10:50:44: Put something interesting into the comment section below. ..

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

the fine art of...

...being silly.
Useless box »abcnews.go.com/Technolog ··· 19984573
Fake zoo in china »us.cnn.com/2013/08/16/wo ··· pt=hp_c4
"Poodles" »www.petmd.com/news/stran ··· ?re-Ferr
And for those of you with nothing to do
It's HempFest in seattle.
»www.komonews.com/news/lo ··· 461.html

and this year the police will be out in force
»www.komonews.com/news/lo ··· 441.html

just in case you get the munchies
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

Rekrul

Re: the fine art of...

The article is incomplete; It doesn't say how many of the Useless Plastic Boxes were sold.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Or what an extended warranty costs,
after all, nobody wants a non-functional useless box.
Rekrul
Milford, CT

Rekrul

said by tshirt:

Or what an extended warranty costs,
after all, nobody wants a non-functional useless box.

Didn't you read the article? It clearly says no warranty is available.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

What?
That IS a useless box!

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH

Premium Member

When did this become a thread about Jennifer Aniston?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to Rekrul

to Rekrul
Pretty sure the Best Buy salespeople will still insist you need a $100 HMDI cable to get the most use out of your useless plastic box.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

Pretty sure the Best Buy salespeople will still insist you need a $100 HMDI cable to get the most use out of your useless plastic box.

Don't forget the $60 case to protect the if dropped, And the Monster Power surge protector.

Then at the register they will offer a protection plan that is worth more than the cost of the box.(I saw this when I worked at Staples in 98-99, $85 POS HP Inkjet printer and the "Extended Protection Plan" Which employees were required to offer per company policy, The cost of the plan for that printer $150)
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
I guess we finally know what the "X" in Xbox stands for.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Finally got the lawn mowed

After being busy with grandma along with battling health issues, and dealing with brutally hot weather, I got the lawn mowed. Front, back, and sides.

Grass does not grow that fast in hot dry weather.

The front lawn grows faster than the back since that is on the south side of the house. I mow that two times for every one time I do the back and sides.

My health issues have somewhat stabilized. I am having less agitation since the Invega was increased a month ago and I'm eating less since I started the Topamax so I'm having less issues with GERD. But I'm seeing the Gastroenterologist in October.

Allergies are bad, I can't wait to shower when I get home from the mall. I'm covered in lawn debris from using the weed eater. That hassle free weed eater from Craftsmsn is a breeze, especially with the pre-cut line and 4-cycle engine.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

Re: Finally got the lawn mowed

Good for you. I know the feeling. I was out of town for twoo weekends and was afraid to try and cut my jungle.

Be well.

Blob

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

And dealing with brutally hot weather, I got the lawn mowed. Front, back, and sides.

LOL
Honestly, This is New England. "Brutally hot" seems a little overboard, Not Phoenix, ya know,... LOL

AnonMe
@comcastbusiness.net

AnonMe

Anon

said by miataman:

Honestly, This is New England. "Brutally hot" seems a little overboard, Not Phoenix, ya know,... LOL

Phoenix is hot. "But it's a dry heat" - You might be dehydrated, but you're dry as can be!

New England is hot. "But it's the humidity that'll kill you" - You might not be dehydrated, but you can be completely soaked with sweat!

Having spent time in both, I think it is truly a toss up between the 115 degrees dry heat versus the 90+ degrees with extremely high humidity which can become difficult to breath in.

New England however additionally has the opposite extreme to deal with as well: Wintertime temps that can stay below 0 degrees for several weeks, and cold dryness that causes the skin on your hands and face to crack and bleed painfully. You need double of everything: yard care equipment (lawn mowers + snow blowers); Heat + AC; Shorts + Winter wear.

Finding that perfect weather place to live might be possible, just not affordable!
Rekrul
Milford, CT

Rekrul

said by AnonMe :

New England however additionally has the opposite extreme to deal with as well: Wintertime temps that can stay below 0 degrees for several weeks, and cold dryness that causes the skin on your hands and face to crack and bleed painfully. You need double of everything: yard care equipment (lawn mowers + snow blowers); Heat + AC; Shorts + Winter wear.

I'm in CT, which is part of New England and the temperatures this past winter were never that low, unless you're talking Celsius. I think they went into the single digits one or twice, but usually the lowest was around 18F and some days it was around 40F.

True, we did have that blizzard that snowed us in for a day, but they had the roads passable on Sunday.
Stumbles
join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL

1 recommendation

Stumbles to AnonMe

to AnonMe
An oven is dry heat but that doesn't mean I want to stick my head in one.

Lark3po
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by Stumbles:

An oven is dry heat but that doesn't mean I want to stick my head in one.

This!

I been in Vegas when it's 100+ degrees of dry heat and was thankful I live in Alabama. Dry heat to me is like sitting in front of a heat gun (aka: high powered hair dryer for the layman). That being said; I hear dry heat is fine if you can find some shade. Good luck with that...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to miataman

Premium Member

to miataman
said by miataman:

said by IowaCowboy:

And dealing with brutally hot weather, I got the lawn mowed. Front, back, and sides.

LOL

I was living in Iowa during the Chicago heat wave in 1995, it was brutally hot there as well too.

I wasn't taking antipsychotic medication back then and I was only 11 years old so I was able to handle it better than I would of today. Those meds make it harder for the body to regulate temperature, it says it right on the pharmacy slip to avoid excessive heat.

We did not have an air conditioner back then but we bought one the following summer. We lived in a small house at the time that you could cool the whole house with a 5000 BTU window unit. Plus we had plenty of tree cover.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

Temporal Distortion

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· DUIyRnl4

Featuring an original score "Temporal Distortion" by Bear McCreary

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

CIA officially admits Area 51 exists, but no green aliens

The CIA responded to a FOIA request and admits the existence of Area 51. But says no UFOs and little green aliens were ever there. Says UFO sightings were all just super secret test planes. UFO believers don't buy the denial.
»apnews.myway.com//articl ··· 900.html

Aerial view of Area 51:
»goo.gl/maps/qxTaO

Bach
Premium Member
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

Bach

Premium Member

I feel honored

Got my first BSOD ever on Windows 7. Bugcheck 116, most likely video driver, perhaps the video card.

Now I have a mididump I can play with.

workablob
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

workablob

Re: I feel honored

Funny. It does kind of make one feel special. I felt honored when my website got hacked.

Like, Wow, Somebody thinks I matter.

LOL

Blob

staticmethod
@sbcglobal.net

staticmethod

Anon

T-Mobile

They're down....
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Re: T-Mobile

Working for me...

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

Today We Fly!

Just a little video of exciting Wing0Suit flying I found and added a song from a band I was in.

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· 7yu2mspo

Enjoy.

Blob
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

old pictures

but still good for a weekend thread
sparky007
join:2011-08-25
Phoenix, AZ

sparky007

Google went offline

Google offline... Just for a few mins.. 40% of the world's internet traffic decreased!

»www.tweaktown.com/news/32371/goo ... index.html

»economictimes.indiatimes.com/tec ... 875239.cms

»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· _outage/

»www.google.com/appsstatu ··· 70227383

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Re: Google went offline

They're just reminding you what could happen if you don't cooperate.
The first "taste" was free
but don't forget, Google IS your daddy!

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

I bet there is someone freaking out over the uptime number right now. Saying 19 hrs and 0 days uptime. A big deal for some lol.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4 to sparky007

to sparky007
Amazing that accounts for a 40% dip. I'd propose a significant portion of that dip would go away given enough time as people swapped to alternatives. At just a few minutes, most people were probably just waiting it out or thought the problem was at their end.

I'll admit though, if both Google and Bing went offline simultaneously I'd have to do some thinking to find an alternative search engine. Probably go to wikipedia and search for search engines, lol.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

If your one of those privacy freaks or one of those freaks that thinks Google is the evil empire, there's always the Ducky search engine.

Back in the early days I used a combination of WebCrawler, Excite and Lycos, then moved on to Yahoo, and now Google. If Google ever went down, and presumably the database behind Google Now went along with it, it would be official, I would no longer want to be alive anymore.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4

I went from AOL to AltaVista to Yahoo to Google, with a bit of msn/live/bing in all that (essentially MS has normally been my backup). Nah, I like privacy, but if I was that concerned I'd probably still use google, just with TOR and private web browsing sessions.

I honestly only probably search for half the sites I go to at most in a given day though, the majority of my time is spent on maybe a dozen various sites I regularly visit.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

What! No jeeves ?(Ask.com)
or dogpile? (eww! and not just cause it's infospace)

Both before and after google there are/have been hundreds of attempts at a piece of the search pie.
It's good to have a few alternate links on hand (you actually need to use them sometimes to feed them/keep them alive.

Getting TOO dependent on one search engine, one O/S, one news source, one political party, one oracle, one god leads to all sorts of problems in the long run.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

DC fios

I've been on vaction in DC for a week and one of the best parts is that I got to be in a house with fios!

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615

AT&T wireless in Chicago is only doing EDGE at the moment

The whole 3G,4G and LTE is out from the Southside of Chicago to Bellwood. Is anyone here getting that further out?
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Two weeks in a row!

Good for the asshole!

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

Re: Two weeks in a row!

No not to weeks in a row!

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
Not sure how shreds of hot rubber is good for your butthole but to each his own...
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai

Premium Member

Incompetent uploaders

Just a rant, a person observing that there seems to be no shortage of people in the world happy to scan books, (any form of books), but, I would like to know what is up with the incompetent ones?

Is it really that hard to scan a book?

Is it really so hard to get the pages all the right way facing?

Is it actually such a challenge to not make the effort actually functionally pointless to offer?

And then they password protect the file, and make it utterly impossible to open it, and then fix the mangled mess that it is.

What's with that?

Are people supposed to be happy that they were offered a mangled scan, that looks like a retarded monkey performed the scans?

Is bandwidth really so cheap for uploaders, that all they seem interested in doing, is claiming they scanned something even if the scan is actually worthless? These boys must really suffer from short epenis syndrome if there files are any indication.

I just want to say into the ether, if you are scanning a book, under the weird assumption you are doing anyone a favour, at all, try and take the time to you know make the pages are all the correct orientation, and you know, look like you had your eyes open at the time, or at least make them look like your 6 year old wasn't doing it for you.

And cut the password crap out. Your useless shit is not sacred, and if it can't actually be displayed in any meaningful fashion, it is best referred to as garbage. You are not actually doing anyone any favours. And if, on some very warped level, you passworded the file to protect it for some copy protection justification, well that would likely explain the rest of the uselessness I suppose.

Carry on dslers.