dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-19 08:37:14: Snubbed by Verizon FiOS and Google Fiber, last week I noted how the city of Baltimore had simply hired a consultant to examine building the kind of broadband networks private industry has refused to. ..

88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

That chick is high

Broadband is an extremely competitive market — more so than it ever has been. Over 80 percent of the public can get super-high speeds of over 100 Mbps, and nearly all Americans can (or will soon) get four different wireless 4G technologies with speeds up to 20 Mbps. Prices per megabit are dropping quickly.

I think this could be used in a Baker Act hearing as evidence of delusions.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

2 recommendations

Transmaster

Re: That chick is high

What Senator Catherine Pugh means is My broadband is great screw you.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

Only plebeians worry about the Internet for entertainment. /sarc
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to Transmaster

Premium Member

to Transmaster
Her check from the telecoms gets delivered right on time so the Internet MUST be fast!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
not only that but Baltimore is her region. One would think she would be promoting what her region wants.... Oh wait that is a pipe dream, She is promoting what her sponsor(s) think her region wants.

Anybody have a breakdown of her campaign funding to see how many telecoms on are on it?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

One would think she would be promoting what her region wants....

Whate her region wants? Or what some pols on city council want so that their relatives and supporters can get pork jobs on the new venture handed out by the pols?
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Ahhh so this whole 'people want fast connections' thing is a load of made up B.S.?
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
High speed connections draw in businesses and determine where the people that work in those businesses want to live.

Believe it or not, but most people aren't xenophobes that want to live an hour's drive from work. Especially since most interesting things to do without taking a vacation are in the city, not the county or some Podunk village.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by intok:

High speed connections draw in businesses and determine where the people that work in those businesses want to live.

Believe it or not, but most people aren't xenophobes that want to live an hour's drive from work. Especially since most interesting things to do without taking a vacation are in the city, not the county or some Podunk village.

xenophobes doesn't mean what you think it does:
»www.merriam-webster.com/ ··· enophobe

one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin

intok (banned)

intok (banned)

Most of the reasons I hear from people that choose to live in the burbs on purpose are pretty xenophobic. And thats being nice about it.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by intok:

Most of the reasons I hear from people that choose to live in the burbs on purpose are pretty xenophobic. And thats being nice about it.

My experience is that most living or moving to suburbs do so for better school systems and lower crime rates. And most suburbs of major cities are fairly diverse today. If any negative aspect could be identified it is an economic one - not living among poor people and that comes back to crime rate and not fear or loathing of foreigners.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

Right, because all poor people are criminals. I've lived in "crime ridden cities" my whole life and the only time I've ever been attacked was out in the country. I've never felt threatened by anyone when walking around outside at 3 A.M. because I can't sleep in the city.

Step your reasoning back 30 years and it's the poor blacks in the inner city being blamed for all the crime, 160 years back and it's the Irish. Same shit different decade.

inner city schools, when funded to the same level perform just as well as those in the middle of nowhere.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

2 recommendations

jseymour to 88615298

to 88615298
Often find myself on the opposite side of the argument with BF69, but on this one we agree.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One to 88615298

MVM

to 88615298
And if we still lived in a world with real journalists, Karl wouldn't be the only one posting articles about this kind of BS from a Senator. These claims aren't even open to interpretation, she is just flat out spouting off false data.

If she can be so fooled, so bought, or just so ignorant, why is the media not calling her out on it?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

said by Camelot One:

And if we still lived in a world with real journalists, Karl wouldn't be the only one posting articles about this kind of BS from a Senator.

Ok not bashing Karl but let's be honest the VAST majority of his posts are OP Ed not journalism. Pure journalism is post just the fact without any opinion or bias or hyperbole. EVERY Karl post has an opinion and/or hyperbole in it.

here's an example from this article

In addition to hallucinating the fact that Baltimore enjoys "extremely competitive" broadband (her 100 Mbps claim is directly out of fantasy land), Pugh reads from her lobbyist talking points on just how vile and dangerous city-run broadband services can be:

Clearly this is hyperbole not actual facts and the article could have been posted without this remark. And I agree with his assessment. My point is when I want OP Ed, I'll read it. I would just like FACTS. I can form the hyperbole and sarcasm in my head myself.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by 88615298:

Ok not bashing Karl but let's be honest the VAST majority of his posts are OP Ed not journalism.

That was exactly my point. There are so many blatant factual lies that the main stream media should be writing about it, not just those with an opinion on the subject matter.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Camelot One:

And if we still lived in a world with real journalists, Karl wouldn't be the only one posting articles about this kind of BS from a Senator.

Ok not bashing Karl but let's be honest the VAST majority of his posts are OP Ed not journalism. Pure journalism is post just the fact without any opinion or bias or hyperbole. EVERY Karl post has an opinion and/or hyperbole in it.

here's an example from this article

In addition to hallucinating the fact that Baltimore enjoys "extremely competitive" broadband (her 100 Mbps claim is directly out of fantasy land), Pugh reads from her lobbyist talking points on just how vile and dangerous city-run broadband services can be:

Clearly this is hyperbole not actual facts and the article could have been posted without this remark. And I agree with his assessment. My point is when I want OP Ed, I'll read it. I would just like FACTS. I can form the hyperbole and sarcasm in my head myself.

Yes, but....... where Karl may insert his opinion, he does always include a link to the actual story, where you are free to ummm...... read the facts......
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

What "story" often to his own??? or to Stop The Cap??? Hardly either are stories. They're blogs.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to CosmicDebri

to CosmicDebri
said by CosmicDebri:

Yes, but....... where Karl may insert his opinion, he does always include a link to the actual story, where you are free to ummm...... read the facts......

One of the main reasons why I come here is so I don't have to go to 50 different websites. So maybe I should stop coming here instead if that is your "solution". Why come here if I have to still go to other websites to get the story? Sorry I'm not seeing the downside of him NOT inserting his opinion.
intok (banned)

intok (banned)

RTFA or GTFO? This site, like Slashdot, aggregates news from several sources so you don't have to dig through them all to find something interesting and/or relevant so you don't have to do the leg work yourself. If you want the actual article those links are provided so that you may read those if you don't like the synopsis posted here.

Whining about it here is just as pointless as it is on Slashdot.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

1 recommendation

CosmicDebri to 88615298

to 88615298
Obviously, one of the main reasons you come here is so you can vent YOUR opinion as well, Mr. Over 12k posts...... if you don't agree with Karl's opinions I guess you've been torturing yourself daily for the last 10 years by coming here and reading them....
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Camelot One

to Camelot One
actually Karl wouldn't be a true journalist to start off with. His true title would be: blogger. DSLR/BBR is far from any news site and is a message board.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Unfortunately, the Main Stream Media has declined to such a state over the past 20 or so years that any distinction between 'News' and a 'Blog' are barely visible at this point. You are right, though that there is (should be) a difference but Karl has his shit together IMO... I would trust him more than the MSM to report accurately. This story is a glaring example; so many inaccurate comments by Pugh completely ignored (or unnoticed) by any 'real' news outlet.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

TBBroadband

Karl rarely has his facts together. Karl is a PR machine for who ever pays the most $$$. Especially Google on many fronts or Apple. It used to be VZ and FiOS. Before them it was AT&T and their iPhone at the time. Karl is a typical blogger that has found someone and a chain of massive companies to pay him for what ever he spills out of his keyboard, mostly for the sides of think tanks that are for Muni and Gov't Internet, or Google Fiber.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

From what I see, if Karl stands up for any particular group it is the broadband consumer. I find it hard to believe that he is taking money to be a 'PR machine' when he has bashed them all.
Expand your moderator at work

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Lack of influence is confirmed

Hey, you would be mad too if it meant a reduction in your reelection donations since you obviously can keep the locals in check!

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

1 recommendation

buzz_4_20

Wow...

That's sad.
How dare we think that we can do better than our corporations, they have our best interests at heart.

Also, stop comparing 4g to wired broadband. It's not equivalent.
While it has good speed on paper, imagine what happens when 1 tower is trying to serve a whole town Netflix...
Beans5
join:2005-07-16
united state

Beans5

Re: Wow...

Isn't that where they just upgrade the capacity comes in?

But on a more on topic type of thing, this is where the corperations come out to stop this thing. Just like they always do
intok (banned)

intok (banned) to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20
Not even, just one high school's Facebook feeds...
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60

Anyone want to bet

the senator is getting lots of big "contributions" from the cable/telco companies? People like that say whatever their owners want them to say.

100 mbs? good grief...

•••
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Donors

Karl, Can we get a list of those who donated to Mrs. Pugh?

•••••

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Maryland Senator Catherine Pugh needs a clue

I suggest all Marylanders give her one ...

»www.facebook.com/SenCath ··· rinePugh

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

Re: Maryland Senator Catherine Pugh needs a clue

I just did. Everyone should.

r3dic
@comcast.net

r3dic

Anon

last week I noted... as discussed.... as I've known about...

It seems like 1 out of every 3 articles contains a similar phrase... I wonder if Karl has a thesaurus of different ways to say ... yea I've known about this.... or something similar to this... Karl provides good news stories here, but that continued arrogance bothers me? I'm not sure that's the right word... because I don't think Karl is...

Regardless if this gets posted or not... wanted to throw that out there...

On this standpoint, I bet she's just disputing the cost; and it's a project she won't be getting paid on the side for... politics = slimy
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Re: last week I noted... as discussed.... as I've known about...

I agree. It is really a shame that Karl has to keep bringing up stories that the MSM is ignoring/under reporting. The real question is: How do we get the MSM to report on this stuff (rather than Kim's baby) so we can stop hearing those damn phrases!!

Mellow
Premium Member
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD

Mellow

Premium Member

Cheap Mouthpiece

COMCAST
Telecom Services & Equipment PUGH, CATHERINE PHILADELPHIA, PA $500 01/06/2011
COMCAST
Telecom Services & Equipment PUGH, CATHERINE PHILADELPHIA, PA $250 01/07/2010
COMCAST
Telecom Services & Equipment PUGH, CATHERINE PHILADELPHIA, PA $250 06/17/2010
VERIZON
Telecom Services & Equipment PUGH, CATHERINE BALTIMORE, MD $250 01/12/2011
VERIZON
Telecom Services & Equipment PUGH, CATHERINE BALTIMORE, MD $250 12/16/2009
VERIZON
Telecom Services & Equipment PUGH, CATHERINE BALTIMORE, MD $250 06/09/2010
VERIZON
Telecom Services & Equipment PUGH, CATHERINE BALTIMORE, MD $250 04/13/2010

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

2 recommendations

elios

Re: Cheap Mouthpiece

shes from east Baltimore they are know for cheap whores
intok (banned)

intok (banned) to Mellow

to Mellow
Again, thats not counting all the attack ads that will be run on her behalf by SuperPACs that are allowed to take unlimited anonymous donations and dump that money on campaign ads.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

make it a voting issue

get RID of your elected officials who do not have the public interest in mind (or claim to in false, conflict of interest driven misrepresentation of such).

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Maybe

Maybe its one of those coded messages meant to sound so preposterous that we know she is being held hostage and being forced to talk against her will!?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

A few footnotes...

... Every zipcode I tried in the Baltimore area showed comcast 105 was available.

So her saying 100Mpbs is available to 80% does apply to that county, if not the whole country.

Also the county politicians drove away most providers including Verizon FiOS and Google Fiber as Karl pointed out and is wrongfully attacking Comcast for following the very county favorable, franchise contract Baltimore agreed to, as I pointed out in several threads last week including this one, with the contract highlights
»Baltimore is officially fed up with Comcast
Also Karl if you could post a list of some " the countless municipal broadband projects that have worked quite well,' because quite a few of those initially touted as successes are sadly the Google takeover targets of today due to a non sustainable financial future.
It would be nice to know which ones are not only thriving, but able to continuously upgrade/currently upgraded to the newest gig-bit or even 100 Mbit speed across their footprints.

••••••••••

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome

Anon

What she really said:

"How dare you bite the hand that feeds me!"
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

Ignorance is bliss?

I wonder what one feels like inside when you have the total absence of conscience needed to stand up & pound on your chest and scream things that you don't even know if they're true... --and no one will call her on it? She could be grilled on one of those public-access talkshow programs that airs at 3:30a etc etc....
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Overbuilder

I still ask if Baltimore has contacted an overbuilder to build in their city. They only seem to want VZ's FiOS or Google Fiber. But what about RCN or even WOW or another of the few OBs. Baltimore just likes to cry because they're without Google.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

4Gee!

The instant she said "4G" she has been discredited.

Wow, I can get blazing fast speeds anywhere! Fantastic! Oh....low caps, high overages. Never mind.

•••

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover

idiot

"Over 80 percent of the public can get super-high speeds of over 100 Mbps"

Right away this gives clue that the person has no idea what they are talking about.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Re: idiot

the public could, the Senator did not state how much you had to pay. Which most of BBR/Karl always wants for free.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

Oh geez, not this nutjob again

Catherine Pugh is certifiable. This is the same idiot that supported gay marriage when she got massive amounts of money for the failing Baltimore school system.