dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-19 08:47:08: Time after time we've watched as NSA lies have been subsequently debunked by the Snowden leaks. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
wrad
join:2003-09-11
Fort Pierce, FL

wrad

NSA Oversite

They lack the money to establish over-site. Give them a few more billion, and ...

vircotto
Premium Member
join:2002-06-04
searching...

vircotto

Premium Member

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I'm glad I wasn't drinking my coffee!

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

eff clings to anything

They really hope that all this BS is true and still have no evidence to support that claim.

Bootes
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY

Bootes

Premium Member

Mistake

"After several weeks of repeated lying, the EFF has eloquently illustrated that the EFF clealy has no adequete oversight"

TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX to ArrayList

to ArrayList

Re: eff clings to anything

Uh, they have plenty of evidence. None of this is BS. Do you mind taking off your rose-colored glasses for a bit and looking at this objectively like a rational, intelligent individual?
TheRogueX

1 edit

TheRogueX to Bootes

to Bootes

Re: Mistake

So you're going to use your personal bias against the EFF to just disregard this? You're perfectly ok with the NSA violating privacy and the Constitution?

EDIT: My apologies, sir! I re-read the article and you are indeed just pointing out a mistake in it, lol. Please disregard the above.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to Bootes

to Bootes
said by Bootes:

"After several weeks of repeated lying, the EFF has eloquently illustrated that the EFF clealy has no adequete oversight"

That was done to prevent the three-letter agency from scooping up the paragraph!
pawpaw
join:2004-05-05
Asheville, NC

pawpaw to ArrayList

to ArrayList

What evidence do you have that the EFF is wrong?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TheRogueX

Premium Member

to TheRogueX

said by TheRogueX:

So you're going to use your personal bias against the EFF to just disregard this? You're perfectly ok with the NSA violating privacy and the Constitution?

It's the same rationale he probably uses to vote Republican. and to watch Faux Noise.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

We need...

quote:
Leaks Prove NSA Has No Meaningful Oversight
The gummint should solve this by forming the NSAW (NSA Watchers) and pouring billions into it so it can have "oversight" over the NSA. After some time we'll need the NSAWW, NSAWWW...

We can't limit the NSA's activities (and funding) since that would allow "the terrorists" to blow up the whole US and us along with it.

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan

Anon

My view

Here is my view on it all.

I don't care if a machine is parsing through all my data as I have no plans to kill my brothers and sisters but I do care if it's stored long-term or a person is allowed to do as they please with it. I understand SOME basic freedoms must be given up to ensure safety but the problem is they are not doing it properly.

It should be all automated in that specific keywords or combination or other alg. of them are flagged for review or only people who known ties etc. and beyond that everything else ignored. Wouldn't you want them to know if the guy 3 houses down form you had access to nukes and planned to nuke your town? You would cry if they didn't but cry that they do. Now grant it he shouldn't have gotten access to it anyway but you get the point.

We live in a sick world where people can no longer be trusted or care about eachother. It's sad we have to lock our doors at night and need guns to protect ourselves but that's why these things exists, to help protect us.

Now I am against the widespread spying on people but I also understand it needs to exists somewhat, just not in the manner they have implemented and use it. Don't also be fooled also, NSA is not only one doing this... The whole problem is that they lie and the way they allow access and no oversight over the mater.

End of the day it's not the information that matters, it's what they do with it and who has access to it that does.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

The entire government is lacking oversight...

...the most corrupt and totalitarian in American history.

No one in government has credibility at this point.
kerya666
join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

1 edit

kerya666 to AnonMan

to AnonMan

Re: My view

said by AnonMan :

Here is my view on it all.

Wouldn't you want them to know if the guy 3 houses down form you had access to nukes and planned to nuke your town? You would cry if they didn't but cry that they do. Now grant it he shouldn't have gotten access to it anyway but you get the point.

No.

If your "guy" already harvested/imported/acquired nuclear materials ... it is already too late and government failed miserably even before he detonates.
Besides your hypothetical scenario is a stretch and having NSA infringing on USA's residents freedoms does not guarantee any prevention from such event.

I am not willing to be spied upon and having my data recorded(and god knows what being done with it and "analyzed") in hopes of catching some hypothetical person participating in hypothetical event that may or may not happen. Please...

Infiltration is still the best means of intelligence gathering on terror groups ... this domestic spying does jack-shit against hypothetical lone-wolfs like in your scenario.

Government employees and agencies are required to uphold the constitution ... they need to stop disregarding fundamental documents at their own discretion and be prosecuted for having this free-for-all.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TheRogueX:

It's the same rationale he probably uses to vote Republican. and to watch Faux Noise.

Or to vote Democrat and watch MSNBC.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

Skippy25 to AnonMan

to AnonMan

That is a very sad thing to say.

I am not willing to give up any of my rights, my neighbor's rights or my children's rights for the very small amount of "protection" the government will give in return.

If I have to die, my neighbor has to die or my children have to die to maintain those rights I am perfectly fine with it. There have been many that have served this country on the front lines and have died before any of us, so we can do the same for them so their efforts were not in vein.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TheRogueX:

The only people okay with the NSA violating privacy right now are people giving up their rights and people who cheerlead for Obama...

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to pawpaw

Premium Member

to pawpaw

Burden of proof falls on EFF, and they have no evidence. All they have is the testimony of a man. That's barely enough to prove anything.
ArrayList

ArrayList to TheRogueX

Premium Member

to TheRogueX
Looking at it objectively would require a bit more than just the testimony of one man.
ArrayList

ArrayList to TheRogueX

Premium Member

to TheRogueX

The NSA doesn't violate "privacy and the constitution". the supreme court has the authority to grant them the privileges that they have.
ArrayList

ArrayList to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
If that were true, you would see the House of Representatives killing the NSAs "evil" programs. I bet that they are just as on board with it.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Im sure those who died for us was to protect us from people who wanted to hurt us, not to protect the brand of lube you purchase off of amazon.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: We need...

Congress is supposed to be the ones to watch over it, but they are okay with it, so yeah. Our form of government apparently doesn't work.
ArrayList

ArrayList to AnonMan

Premium Member

to AnonMan

I don't want anyone to know if the guy down the street has nukes. I don't want the government to stop any terrorists acts. I have an IQ high enough to know that they won't stop anything.
ArrayList

ArrayList to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
Americans don't know what their rights are half the time. You don't have the right to privacy on the Internet. What a joke.
ArrayList

ArrayList to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Re: The entire government is lacking oversight...

yeah, when people genuinely don't care, you get this.
pawpaw
Asheville, NC

pawpaw to ArrayList

to ArrayList

Alright then, EFF has to make their case. Just for the sake of argument, assume that the evidence exists. How do you suggest they obtain and reveal it? Or satisfy themselves that it is a mirage?

On the other hand, the government maintains that it is doing nothing wrong. I think the burden of proof is on the government.
pawpaw

pawpaw to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs

Please do not inject the D/R red herring. For the purposes of this discussion they are one and the same.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to pawpaw

Premium Member

to pawpaw

If the government is going to reveal anything, I expect congress to get it out. That's their purpose. They give the NSA the money and they can make rules about proper oversight. They are in charge, not me. I get to tell them what to do on election day and that's the end of my real participation.

There is no place for mutiny in government.
pawpaw
Asheville, NC

1 recommendation

pawpaw

Spoken like a true Tory!
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to ArrayList

to ArrayList

It doesnt matter if they know their rights or not. That is still no justification for taking them.

Though the internet is a part of this, it not just about a right to privacy on the internet it is much deeper than that. It is more about the government doing what they are lawfully required to do, which is to uphold the constitution and not hide behind a cloak of "classified" when they choose not to for their convenience.

The saddest part about all this is that the people that straight up lied to congress have not been charged yet and probably never will be. People should be outraged by that as well regardless of how you feel about the rights violations.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next