dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-20 10:28:39: Google has clearly made the ISP major leagues. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571

Ugly Fiber Cabinets Not Necessary

MTCO, a small Illinois ILEC/CLEC manages to bury its fiber vault cabinets, just fine thank you.

"3...Fiber vaults will then be placed in the ground approximately every ten houses. Within 1-2 weeks each hole dug for the vault will be completed with sod replacement. Vault entry will be level with the ground. "

From this page: »www.mtco.com/?main&fiber
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Re: Ugly Fiber Cabinets Not Necessary

What's their ARPU though? Remember that Google is trying to build their network as inexpensively as possible so they can actually make money on selling $70 gigabit access. That's why they do overhead fiber in areas where SureWest puts it underground.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

The maintenance also can be higher with below ground. Yes cars and such can run into above ground ones but more likely for say a normal rainstorm to easily flood a below ground vault. If everything is not water proof then you will have issues.
I have opened below ground ones just to have them flooded with a normal rainfall. Then to just switch a connection or do normal service can be a pain. Yes the ones I did mostly flipped up and above ground to be worked on but still soaking wet after having been submerged. Get a tech who is only in it for their numbers and doesnt take the extra time to make sure the water stays out of the connections you will have issues later.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to iansltx

to iansltx
Make money? Google is only going the cheap route to skip completely on what they should be doing in the first place. Google only dreams of making a profit off their fiber network; which will never happen any time soon.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Do you sell gigabit access for $70/mo?
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

no because its not profitable by any means. when building that network out, its not worth it. The only way Google could be making $$ on that network is seriously skipping a LOT of needed support. But also if they thought they'd make money on it- their agreement would have been longer than 2 years.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX

It must be profitable in SOME way or they wouldn't do it. Google is, after all, a for-profit business.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
Please elaborate as we are not mind readers.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Make money? Google is only going the cheap route to skip completely on what they should be doing in the first place. Google only dreams of making a profit off their fiber network; which will never happen any time soon.

This Google hatred is getting ridiculous. Do you have any citations to back up your fantastical claims?

If cable and telco can make money on fiber&copper why not Google?
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Its called ROI. And cable and telco actually have paid off their networks YEARS ago. If you look at the VZ numbers for FiOS they didn't hit the uptake that they claimed they would have. And citations? It's called simple math. They won't say how many homes are signed up or anything. They won't even say if they've turned a profit at this time- which we all know won't happen yet- it will take YEARS to pay off that network- or at the shareholder support.

And one last thing- its not hatred- its called simple knowledge that someone should have. And you are free to remove my posts from showing up.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

So you have no citations to back up your claims (which are simply made up)

And yes, you hate Google
Sahrin
join:2004-05-15
Houston, TX

Sahrin to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
That must be why VZWand AT&T carry over $100 billion in debt...each...
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to Bob61571

to Bob61571
They don't bury power lines, cable lines, phone lines, etc in KC, and barely do in the suburbs in Kansas. Why should Google have to bury everything when nobody else does?
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

It depends on the hood in KC. Usually newer hoods have underground but there are some older areas upgraded with buried lines, like in the Plaza area and the denser areas of downtown.

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

3 recommendations

Hazy Arc

Cheese with that Whine?

Give me a break. Google could place a cabinet on my front porch if it meant I would get symmetrical gig for 70 bucks a month.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72

Re: Cheese with that Whine?

Vaults throw the economics. I think they should say to the complainers, no problem you can have a vault, just write the check for $100k.

These are MUCH smaller than VRAD, so throw a couple of bushes around this and call it a day.

In my hood Verizon ran the fibre all underground, so every 4-5 houses there are little nodes which they put where existing utility stuff was so it doesn't look out of place. As for splitters, they put them up on poles where they could, but some go on the ground and they are no bigger than the GOOG boxes, and maybe even smaller because there is no active equipment in them like the GOOG ones which uses WDM to multiplex.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
The people living there should be grateful the neighborhood doesn't have utility poles with wires hanging from them everywhere. A very small box coming up out of the ground is nothing.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Agreed. They should let AT&T on their lawn..

My property has all the "boxes", Electrical transformer, TWC equalizer, FIOS node as everything is trenched. Guess what I put up a few bushes and you cant even see them.

Now some states have went crazy and done away w/ right of way, and the crazy idiots go out of their way to make life miserable.

Nobody complains about sidewalks or roads. They are uglier and take up more space. These people will eventually die off or go shopping at Coach and life will be good. So what the neighborhood is 100 years old. So go back to horse and buggys and the Gutenberg press. Hell go back to clubs and sticks. I bet you if they littered the lawns with inefficient solar panels nobody would say boo.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

You really believe that? The way people are complaining about windmills?

If they want to put an ugly box on someone's property, offer them free internet. Its fair and its a terribly small price.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to elefante72

to elefante72
Then maybe google should throw some bushes up...?
mob (banned)
On the next level..
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
Uh...they do. That's the funny part about this. Fox4 is making a huge deal out of nothing.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
So far it's only 2 hoods out of a couple hundred complaining. I wouldn't exactly call that a common complaint.
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
I can understand the complaints and outrage over the boxes. Many neighborhoods - including my own - go to great time and expense to establish and maintain a certain "look and feel" among all its homes.

Having something like this - especially if it attracted graffiti - would be reason enough for me to complain. When you're still waiting for housing values to come up after dropping ~$100K every little thing matters.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

Who cares?

Leave it to some snooty rich neighbors to complain! You'd probably get the same complaints here if the boxes were put in areas of Scottsdale but I'd be so happy to get the service in my area they could put in all the ugly boxes they want to! Actually Century Link puts in similar boxes but they are along the main street where nobody cares or even sees them, not peoples yards, so it is possible to get them out of sight.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

Enough with the whining already

You are getting dirt cheap, super fast broadband and the cabinet (at least the way it's pictured) is standing on public property. This constant whaaa, we want faster internet, whaaa we don't want the boxes, well sorry, the internet doesn't materialize out of thin air (except with wireless, but then the whining is about overages), it needs a wire and the equipment has to be somewhere.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Re: Enough with the whining already

Not everyone signs up, but they still have to deal with an ugly neighborhood. I agree it's not that big a deal, but can understand the other point of view.

Why don't they lie these things on the ground instead of standing up like obelisks? Would be less obtrusive that way.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

Re: Enough with the whining already

internal equipment positioning, water drainage, ease of access would be just a few that I can think of.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

Really?

Some people will complain about anything. I'll gladly host a cabinet in front of my house if it means a cheap 1gb connection.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

2 recommendations

tmc8080

really?

Is this really a problem?
The overwhelming % of people approved the builds knowing full well what they were getting into and that's why KC is being built to last (and upgraded). Google seems to know that in 2014, docsis 3.1 could provide a challenge and will have to be ready with new equipment if necessary to upgrade. Even though it remains a remote possibility that cable companies will offer gigabit at low prices.. they've yet to commit to matching $70 for gigabit-- symmetric or not.. maybe offering 250 - 500MBIT for a few bucks less could happen. THEN we'll see if google sticks to their ALL or nothing pricing...
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Re: really?

said by tmc8080:

Google seems to know that in 2014, docsis 3.1 could provide a challenge and will have to be ready with new equipment if necessary to upgrade.

Kinda hard to challenge Google with DOCSIS 3.1 with that non-existent equipment.
said by tmc8080:

Even though it remains a remote possibility that cable companies will offer gigabit at low prices.. they've yet to commit to matching $70 for gigabit-- symmetric or not.. maybe offering 250 - 500MBIT for a few bucks less could happen.

They cannot offer something their network is not capable of supporting. The slower speeds could happen but that still would require some pretty heavy node splitting and upgrades across their infrastructure.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Re: really?

Any company currently offering 50 megabits under docsis 3.0 can spend roughly 100 - 200 million dollars and upgrade a network the size of Cablevision's to docsis 3.1 (rougly 150sq miles).

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Oh The Humanity!

Oh the humanity, such an ugly lawn ornament. What were they thinking: such an eyesore and public hazard. /sarcasm

Get over it and move along and deal with life's real problems.

•••••••
phazah
join:2004-05-02
Findlay, OH

1 recommendation

phazah

boo hoo....

you have mini fridges in your neighborhood....
i would love to have one just to have really high speed internet for $70...

too bad the telcos didnt spend the billions we phone owners paid for the last 20yrs to build a real high speed internet and not try to BS us on their 4G LTE crap....
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

U-Verse

Around here, the U-Verse boxes are around 3x the size of the GFiber one pictured. And they're spaced relatively tightly. For far less benefit than GFiber provides. And depending on the area they're sitting right in people's front yards (which this one isn't).

So...what are they complaining about again?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Cabinets

Those cabinets are a lot bigger than they need to be. My ftth cabinet is much smaller and it is the same size my ISP uses for all above ground cabinets.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Take away Google fiber from those places

Only way you teach ungrateful people a lesson.

•••

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Yes

Cause those ground level boxes are so much prettier then cell towers...

•••••••
klineba
join:2010-08-30
Perrysville, OH

1 recommendation

klineba

Ha

First world problems...

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

Graffitti

The solution to that is to allow customers to repaint the VRADs when they get tagged.

The bad guys get tired and stop doing it.

Blob

•••

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

Graffiti

Sounds like the local's problems is failing to properly raise their stupid little spoiled brat kids.

•••••••

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

newview

Premium Member

You got THAT right

quote:
Granted, many people would be more than happy to deal with the cabinets in exchange for symmetrical 1 Gbps, $70 connections.
The could park a tractor trailer in my front yard for THAT connection ... and the ability to tell Comcast to go pack sand.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

1 recommendation

buddahbless

Re: You got THAT right

said by newview:

The could park a tractor trailer in my front yard for THAT connection ... and the ability to tell Comcast to go pack sand.

Agreed! matter of fact ill give them space in my back yard, I wont charge rent just give me free high speed net for life and well call it even.
onthecake
join:2003-08-08
Kansas City, MO

onthecake

Dont like it?

Then don't try to be a hipster and live in the "Urban" area of KC you whiny bitch. Just look at it as part of the "Urban" landscape.
bidger
join:2009-12-23
Elmira, NY

bidger

Ya think?

Art Perry = KC TWC employee.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

Well, Fox knows how to stir up BS

I guess the ATT, Time Warner and other assorted utility green boxes are somehow not as bad as the Google Fiber boxes....
onthecake
join:2003-08-08
Kansas City, MO

onthecake

Re: Well, Fox knows how to stir up BS

I have 2 in my back yard. The electrical junction is 4x4x3 and the time warner junction is about 12 inches high.

Boxie
@cox.net

Boxie

Anon

Enclosures

For the bazillionth time, if they design the exterior of the enclosure
using fins (like a heat sink) or any other type of raised design, they would become difficult to tag.
page: 1 · 2 · next