dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-22 07:59:55: • LTE is reducing user reliance on Wi-Fi [fiercewireless.com] • Bill Introduced To Smack The NSA In The Wallet For Each Data Collection Violation [techdirt. ..

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Dismantled Anonymous...

...for now.

But wasn't most of it moles for the feds anyway?

And wasn't Lulzsec a splinter that disagreed with Anon's mission (whatever that was) ?

And I haven't forgotten the inconvenience of them hacking Sony and EA...for lulz...
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Re: Dismantled Anonymous...

In a related story, they are also going to arrest the leaders of P2P file sharing.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

At Last

After decades of trying, SOMEONE in our government finally caught some "terrorists", and all it cost us was a few hundred million $, our constitution, our rights as Americans and our nation. Such a deal...
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Web-based ESPN

According to the article they say ESPN has 98million subscribers, but lets be clear here. ESPN has no subscribers. What they have are forced channel payers based on the mandated tier in their contracts with the TV providers.

If their consumers were required to pay monthly just for ESPN (and their suite of channels) like people do with HBO and Showtime, then they probably would have no where near that 98 million they are boosting about. Which is the entire reason they are saying that it will be more expensive for web-based and why they will have a minimum subscriber number requirement. Disney knows that ESPN will not get the subscribers it needs to sustain itself if they can't continue to force people to pay for stuff they dont want.

Why are you scared to let the market truly decide Disney? Put your content out there and lets see what the real market value is to the consumer.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: Web-based ESPN

You can argue that ESPN asks too much but why should ESPN be more required to sell itself like HBO than any other channel? Why not TNT or TBS or USA or BET or MTV etc etc I don't watch those. I'm paying for them.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Re: Web-based ESPN

I am not arguing against that at all.

I think all channels should sell themself like HBO.

However, there is a big difference between ESPN and those other channels. 1.) ESPN is mostly live shows 2.) ESPN is the single most expensive channel being shoved down the throats of every paying TV customer.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

LTE is reducing user reliance on Wi-Fi

Not here. It's too damn expensive if you go over your cap.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: LTE is reducing user reliance on Wi-Fi

and rightly so. The cap and overages are there so the network actually works. If they still offered unlimited data for $30 a month over 4G everyone would be bitching about how their connection is either slow to non existent. Wireless data doesn't work by magic. Wireless spectrum and bandwidth are shared and limited resources.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

Re: LTE is reducing user reliance on Wi-Fi

said by 88615298:

and rightly so. The cap and overages are there so the network actually works. If they still offered unlimited data for $30 a month over 4G everyone would be bitching about how their connection is either slow to non existent. Wireless data doesn't work by magic. Wireless spectrum and bandwidth are shared and limited resources.

I'd like proof on that. They've said that over, and over, and over again.. but I really don't believe it. If they throttled, sure.. but not charge more for overages.