spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-22 08:38:49: The NFL has traditionally been one of the more backward leagues when it comes to offering games streamed over the Internet, especially when compared to Major League Baseball's relatively inexpensive streaming offerings. ..

tpkatl

join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

I don't see it happening, because of the networks

Although I think this is a great idea, I doubt that it will ever happen. The problem is the incumbent TV networks that are broadcasting football (ESPN is a biggie, and then the old-fashioned 3).

Those old-media groups will put enormous pressure on the NFL *not* to sign anything with Google. Of course, this is another attempt to perpetuate their old business model by cutting off competition - and damn the paying customers who actually want to watch this stuff.

The real question will be: can Larry Page offer enough money to convince the NFL that the old media guys are not worth the trouble?

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: I don't see it happening, because of the networks

Yea, I dont think Google is willing to pay a Billion to bring football to its 1,000 TV customers. Of course Im guessing, because I cant find a mention of Google Fiber here, unless Im blind. »investor.google.com/pdf/2013Q2_g···data.pdf
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: I don't see it happening, because of the networks

Your not blind as I could not find it either.
BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
You my friend miss the big picture here.

Google Streaming the NFL to international viewers ! not only in the US. The sunday ticket is pretty much a sub model they want to sink. If they can sink it they can bring it to streaming and their google play/tv services. They can bump that 1 billion to maybe 5 billion in a matter of years.

This is not a cable play, this is google streaming play. If they can get americas favorite content turned more to the web, they can then start developing more efficient ways of streaming live events using their analytics core and development to create better protocols. Akamai did this for years and it's paying off in spades for their "sureroute" product offerings.

For all the griping people do about google eternal beta programs, they actually have this right, you can't simulate human interaction. So they beta test and use the beta as a platform to learn and build based on real world results, very intelligent way of doing things, plus it nets them a little profit from the info they collect.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by ITALIAN926:

Yea, I dont think Google is willing to pay a Billion to bring football to its 1,000 TV customers. Of course Im guessing, because I cant find a mention of Google Fiber here, unless Im blind.

They would be offering in on YouTube for a subscription.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
I see the NFL making streaming a key part of the next package. But I think ESPN, already heavy in to streaming sports, and a big part of existing NFL packages, being the winner in a bidding war for streaming rights.
--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
You never know. I certainly do not think the content is worth $1 billion and if you have more players showing the same stuff it's value is certainly less than $1 billion per company.

NickD
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ
Almost every NFL game is streamed illegally online. That can't be stopped. Might as well drive the pirates out of business by offering a reasonable alternative
biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

1 edit

No chance

There is no chance that Google gets exclusive access to the Sunday Ticket. DirecTV is available everywhere in the country. If not at your particular home then at least somewhere in town. With Google, the NFL would end up limiting its viewership to a few select areas of the country. Either the ticket stays with DirecTV or every provider can offer it.
Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Re: No chance

also most ISP will have a hard time doing over IP for commercial locations.

And even over cable tv may be hard as well. Comcast may do NFL ST right or they mess it up like they did with premier League Extra Time
BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

it's not going to be over IP totally, they are going to split it off.

Premium
West Tenness
said by biochemistry:

There is no chance that Google gets exclusive access to the Sunday Ticket. DirecTV is available everywhere in the country. If not at your particular home then at least somewhere in town. With Google, the NFL would end up limiting its viewers hip to a few select areas of the country. Either the ticket stays with DirecTV or every provider can offer it.

YouTube is available to more people than DirecTv. And you'd only have to subscribe to Sunday Ticket. Not also have to get DirecTv service which you may not want.
biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

No it isn't. There are a lot of people with directv whose only access to the internet is also via satellite. You can't watch HD football over satellite internet.
Pervbear

join:2013-08-20

Are you high? YouTube is available to a great deal more people all over the world you do know people outside of the US are into it as well which just increases the amount of people Google can bring it to. NFL is getting bigger and bigger each year, there was talks a while back that football could eventually become an Olympic sport.
SatManager

join:2011-03-17
North Las Vegas, NV

Apple

There have been rumors that Apple is interested in bringing the NFL Sunday Ticket to their entertainment offerings on the Apple TV box as an app.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Re: Apple

again; limited eye balls. the NFL isn't that stupid to limit their eye balls coming in. They'd be smart leaving it where it is or expanding to another carrier as well.
egilbe

join:2011-03-07

I would probably pay for the NFL Sunday ticket if I could get it cheaper than what DirecTV charges and stream it over the 'net. NFL football is one of the few things I would actually pay for, but not at an exhorbitant price. It would have to be cheaper than going to the local sports bar.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
There are more potential customers with iOS devices compared to DirecTV customers. Besides, it could simply mean that NFL Sunday Ticket will not be exclusive anymore, but more widely distributed at a cheaper price point. If a bid is not high enough to justify making it exclusive, the next move is to make it available for many at a lower cost to reach similar total profits.

Premium
West Tenness
said by TBBroadband:

again; limited eye balls.

Yep Youtube has so few visitors.
TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

YouTube Paid services do have less users than DirecTV. but when this will flop over IP - like the Super Bowl (if i remember right) this will be the NFL's fault instead of Google right?

Premium
West Tenness

said by TBBroadband:

YouTube Paid services do have less users than DirecTV.

RIGHT NOW. Are you seriously suggesting that if Sunday Ticket was offered only though YouTube no one would buy it?
Pervbear

The Superbowl had a million and one reasons that it would never work. you do know YouTube is capable of at least 200TB of streaming a day and that is 2010 numbers before HD on YouTube was much of a thing ( look at most videos from that period most 480p at best) and that was before let's plays became huge I would not be surprised if they are reaching 1PB a day on average. so yes it would definitely flop....
bryan314

join:2011-10-03

Netflix should go after this

If I was Netflix I'd be asking the NFL how much they wanted and write the check. Netflix has already shown with House of Cards new subscribers can pay for new content. NFL would be huge amounts of new subs. In addition Netflix has been trying to get their cdn boxes in isps for years. Other than the quality of service benefits, I'm assuming having a direct line from netflix to the isp and bypassing the internet must cut way down on their bandwidth bills. Using the NFL as a really big stick to get their boxes in everywhere could eliminate their bill entirely.

Premium
West Tenness

Re: Netflix should go after this

Netflix does not have $1 bil a year to spend on 17 week of football. Also Netflix doesn't show live programming. If Netflix had $1 bil a year to spend they could do deal with HBO for HBOGo and HBO would take it.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 edit

I was watching this on CNBC yesterday..

..and I told the Financial Advisor (that I was upgrading his system for) that it would be an incredibly BAD idea. Reason? Not everyone has internet access.. and some people only have ~5mbps (or much worse) service available. It will also eat away at your cap as well (if applicable).

Satellite (TV only) is still the way to go to get your content to more viewers. If you can stream *AND* transmit via satellite, go right ahead.. but don't replace one with the other. If your viewers want this over internet in HD, their ISP better have a package for least 10mbps. If it's multiple viewers in the same household, hope you have FiOS or better to handle the load.

But.. if they want to see how bad this flops.. go right ahead. I'll be sitting here with a bucket of popcorn waiting for the disaster to happen. Then I'll bust up laughing with a "I told ya so".
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
MyLaptop[Asus G53SX,32GB RAM,2x750GB HDD,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[PE1750,4G RAM,3x36G HDD,2xIntel Pro/1000+GT Quad Port,Gentoo]
compton

join:2002-02-08
Brooklyn, NY

Re: I was watching this on CNBC yesterday..

said by Simba7:

..and I told the Financial Advisor (that I was upgrading his system for) that it would be an incredibly BAD idea. Reason? Not everyone has internet access.. and some people only have ~5mbps (or much worse) service available. It will also eat away at your cap as well (if applicable).

Satellite (TV only) is still the way to go to get your content to more viewers. If you can stream *AND* transmit via satellite, go right ahead.. but don't replace one with the other. If your viewers want this over internet in HD, their ISP better have a package for least 10mbps. If it's multiple viewers in the same household, hope you have FiOS or better to handle the load.

But.. if they want to see how bad this flops.. go right ahead. I'll be sitting here with a bucket of popcorn waiting for the disaster to happen. Then I'll bust up laughing with a "I told ya so".

Direct TV has about 20 million subscribers out of 120 million TV households. That means Direct TV has about 17% market share. Youtube has the potential to reach almost 100% of TV households. Half of the Internet traffic in North America is driven by Youtube and Netflix. Sunday Ticket on Youtube has the potential to reach 5 times the viewers as Direct TV. However, most of Youtube users are used to free content and may not pay $200 to $300 yearly for NFL Sunday ticket.
Pervbear

Re: I was watching this on CNBC yesterday..

That number is set by direct TV to recoup costs and obviously make a profit. Google would keep it lower just to get more people seeing their own ads and being apart of their echo system. That being said you can get madden 25 special addition from amazon for 100 (40 over normal) and get a year of Sunday ticket so it's not like Sunday to met HAS to coat that much.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

You guys need glasses...

Because you're short sighted as shit.

Satellite TV is the way to go Sunday Ticket?? How many ppl do you think have satellite TV? You know there are many other options, right? Being on Dish / Direct is a LIMITING factor.

Many more devices have the ability to go to YouTube. We're talking phones, tablets, & laptops...oh AND TV's.

Also, you guys try and compare D* satellite numbers to yahoo subscription numbers, which is completely irrelevant. If they came out tomorrow and said that the NFL was going to be on YouTube....those numbers would shoot so high, you could see it from Alpha Centauri.

Capacity and ability to deliver are legitimate concerns, and I would hope Google would prepare enough beef to be able to handle the load. They've got more than enough money to make this happen, if the deal can be made...though, as someone pointed out, the networks are not going to let it go easily, but IF IT COULD BE MADE, this would be a very smart move on the part of the NFL. This gets you into more peoples faces than TV ever could.

Also, this would bring all the cord cutters in droves! The ONLY, and I mean ONLY reason we keep cable is college football and NFL. If there were a way I could get those legit and in HD without hassle, I'd be all over it.

This is the future...NFL needs to hop on this train and carry it forward. Google and NFL would BOTH benefit if they did.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

SteveLV702
Premium
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

Re: You guys need glasses...

maybe pick me up a pair of Google Glasses

Acuity

join:2002-06-22
Londonderry, NH

What if Google gave it away for free...

In the place of commercial time slots now Google would have their own targeted advertising campaign as they do with AdSense. It's kind of far fetched, but Google is one of those companies that laughs in the face of people who say things can't be done.