spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-26 08:31:25: For much of the year we've been exclusively reporting that AT&T was busy cooking up a new 45 Mbps down, 6 Mbps up U-Verse tier. ..

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
kudos:1

I wonder how short the loop must be

I guess you need to live within 500ft of a lawn fridge to see those speeds?

Hey, its more than what VZ is doing with their copper plant.

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10

I think this is my first user submitted story...

I live 1000ft from VRAD, and I get amazing numbers. so no, you dont HAVE to be within 500ft of a VRAD...
--
Bill - Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to Zenit

Re: I wonder how short the loop must be

How do AT&Ts VRADS work? Do they go right over , or next to their existing copper terminals?

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

AL

I wonder when those speeds are coming to AL? Im 900ft from the VRAD.

WhiteWizard
Premium
join:2005-07-04
Madison, WI
reply to Zenit

They are saying 1 conditioned and 1 non-conditioned pair 0-2200' from the VRAD.
--

Goateed

@myvzw.com
reply to Zenit
said by Zenit:

I guess you need to live within 500ft of a lawn fridge to see those speeds?

Hey, its more than what VZ is doing with their copper plant.

Yes it's more than what VZ is doing with copper and a helluva lot less than what VZ is doing with fios.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

Not available in Ohio yet...

Still not available in Cleveland, OH according to my Manage My Services page.

I may have to call AT&T, ugh.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to shortyd999

Re: AL

I was wondering the same thing, although the price for 45 is a bit pricey compared to what Comcast is offering here. Not that I'm planning to go back to them right now, but AT&T is going to have a hard time competing with those rates.

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL
Looks like the press release shows Birmingham, Huntsville, and Mobile on the list. Not Tuscaloosa though
»www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=2···|U-verse

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not entirely certain, but we may be lumped into the Birmingham market. Our U-verse video feed is exactly the same as Birmingham's, including local commercials on cable channels.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 edit
reply to WhiteWizard

I'm assuming they keep one wet for 911 purposes? I dont know u-verse bundling but does this require POTS for this to work? I also understand that keeping the 2nd one dry without sealing current is a prob, but they have some device that "exercises" the line for a period everyday.

In any case they must over-provision the profile for video and the loops must both be good for this to work properly which always isn't the case.

45/5 + OP or whatever is decent speed (uplink can always be better), so it looks like cable competition is starting to drag them into the 20th century.

Also 2200 feet (675m) for that profile is under theoretical best case 30Mbps performance + vectoring. I doubt one would have a line (both) clean enough for that run. With vectoring the uplink can be WAY more aggressive. Assuming OP for video this is laboratory specs here...

Interestingly enough when you add up the costs of doing all this, it would have been better to just run FTTP, so instead they jack up the rates and keep 20th century technology in place.

I guess the ATT number crunchers didnt figure on cable getting D3 out and ramped up so quickly. Ooops

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

I call BS on at&t

half the people in my area can't even get more than 3 Mbps. and no one can get more than 18 Mbps. What's more ironic I know people that used to get 3 Mbps when it was DSL but now that it's "u-verse" they can only get 768 kbps? That's IMPROVEMENT?

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
It looks like my entire apartment complex tops out at 6 Mbps now. Could've sworn that over a year ago certain areas of it could get 18 Mbps. Which is all very odd since we have a VRAD right outside.

tl;dr: I share your frustration.

EDIT: No Austin. Seems like an odd omission, but I guess they want to continue losing market share to everyone else.

Merlin

join:2012-06-08
Dallas, TX
If your apartment complex can get U-verse TV, then you would qualify automatically for a minimum of 12MB of Internet.

The original article is also mistaken about the upstream on the Power tier, it is 45Mx6M.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
The addresses I checked mentioned U-Voice and internet only. No TV. It's like they're serving IP-DSLAM DSL out of the VRAD or something.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

Biggest bunch a bullshit...

Biggest bunch a bullshit I've ever seen from AT&T.

Cleveland, OH is supposed to be getting this new Internet tier, but what they don't tell you is that in Cleveland you have to be one of the lucky few who got FTTH/FTTP. If you're on copper, forget it; you're never going to get it.

I talked to someone in Technical Support on the phone and they said that in no uncertain terms that I will never ever be able to get this new higher speed Internet tier. The Engineering Department at AT&T has basically stated that upgrading the area that I live in would be too expensive to support the new Internet tier. AT&T has basically told me that I'm lucky I'm getting what I'm getting and to shut up.

OK, I have my answer. I may not like the answer but there it is, I won't ever be getting the new speed tier.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

breese
Premium
join:2000-05-10
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest

support in Illinois SUCKS!!

How about them getting up off their ass and finish the upgrades in their own back yard!!!
Arlington Heights has welcomed AT&T for as long as I have been here (18 years) yet they stopped upgrades on the South Side of the downtown tracks...
Half of their offices are on the southside and the other half on the north side..
All the homes directly north of downtown are left out in the cold... dealing with Comcast, Direct TV and other sales people yet we continue to have 40 Year Old Copper that causes noise on the phone's when it rains!!!

FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED!!!!

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to iansltx

Re: I call BS on at&t

said by iansltx:

EDIT: No Austin. Seems like an odd omission, but I guess they want to continue losing market share to everyone else.

I thought ATT was rolling out FTTP in Austin to compete with GOOGLE?

djnrg787

join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO

Good sync speeds here

Im about 2900 ft out i get 51 down max sync speed and 11 up max. my copper is atleast 40 years old.

Milliwatt

join:2010-01-26
Hotchkiss, CO

45 Mbps AT&T U-Verse

Why take a perfectly good data signal on fiber (photonics) and convert it back to a slow electromagnetic environment? Why not run a single fiber the short distance to end users and give them essentially unlimited and cheap speeds.

»www.vermontel.com/news/257-gige-···phone-co

Seems like a very dumb, dumb design to me.

paule123

join:2002-07-25
Cleveland, OH
reply to trparky

Re: Biggest bunch a bullshit...

Thanks for the info. We're in the Cleveland burbs on the 18 meg plan at our business. I logged in to the account and there's no upgrade option beyond the 24 meg tier. Oh well. I wonder if they will make an exception for business users, considering TWC is available at 50/5.

lol

@comcast.net

Yawn.

Simple comparison:

U-Verse "Power"- 45/6 $76 a month.
Xfinity "Blast"- 50/10 $74.95($64.95 if bundled) a month.

You gotta try harder then that, At&t!

ebtechie1357
Premium
join:2013-01-22
I also think their reliability problems, I hated being a uverse rep for the full year I did that

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

1 edit
reply to trparky

Re: Biggest bunch a bullshit...

I need to call WOW is starting to become too unreliable for me.

Looks like my area sucks too. Highest I can get is Max Plus, the 18Mbps plan.

mattmac

join:2011-03-27
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to Zenit

45 mb in West Palm Beach for way to much $$$$
4200 Feet from VRAD on pair bonding.