dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-26 09:34:38: Time Warner Cable has been directing users impacted by their feud with CBS (and their subsequent blackout) toward Aereo, who is probably more than happy to take the help in promoting their streaming TV service. ..

Paul in WA
join:2010-09-11
Centralia, WA

Paul in WA

Helping to spread the joy of cord cutting?

I can't help but think that handing out free OTA antennas might be contributing to their own eventual demise.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Re: Helping to spread the joy of cord cutting?

If they could (maybe they can I dont know) incorporate the OTA antenna and signal into their box which would allow for transparent guide and DVR capabilities that would make it still very compelling for users that want more than just OTA content.

Maybe they should work on getting that to happen so they can just flat out not carry any OTA signals and just have it incorporated in that way for all stations. That would lessen the strangle hold the OTA stations have.

Hooner
@myvzw.com

Hooner

Anon

said by Skippy25:

If they could (maybe they can I dont know) incorporate the OTA antenna and signal into their box which would allow for transparent guide and DVR capabilities that would make it still very compelling for users that want more than just OTA content.

Maybe they should work on getting that to happen so they can just flat out not carry any OTA signals and just have it incorporated in that way for all stations. That would lessen the strangle hold the OTA stations have.

Great idea NOT. Voom satellite tried that and failed. OtA doesn't work in most of TWC mostly urbane markets.
esjones
Premium Member
join:2010-09-10
Springboro, OH

esjones to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
TiVo does this already for models that have OTA tuners.

RavonTUS
join:2003-10-15
Lafayette, IN

RavonTUS to Paul in WA

to Paul in WA
One day, someone will invent wireless TV and we won't need cables.
esjones
Premium Member
join:2010-09-10
Springboro, OH

esjones

Premium Member

I see what you did there, Mr. Farnsworth!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to RavonTUS

to RavonTUS
said by RavonTUS:

One day, someone will invent wireless TV and we won't need cables.

My TV is already wireless. It comes from a satellite.

Fib3rguy
@charter.com

Fib3rguy

Anon

Glad to see TWC not giving in to CBS

Hopefully all cable operators follow suit. If not, the rates will continue to go up.

A lot of people can't pick up CBS with an antenna, in my opinion TWC should be getting $$ from CBS to use their cable system to deliver the channel.
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42

Re: Glad to see TWC not giving in to CBS

Yup, I don't understand why TWC needs to pay CBS. I actually think CBS should pay TWC for delivering contents.

I live in NYC, the signals are strong here.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by hchen42:

Yup, I don't understand why TWC needs to pay CBS. I actually think CBS should pay TWC for delivering contents.

I live in NYC, the signals are strong here.

You don't because like most people who don't work in the industry you think it costs nothing to produce and that ad revenue pays for everything.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Once upon a time, it did exactly that. Not only that, but hour long TV shows were 50 minutes. Now you're lucky to get 40 minutes.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Fib3rguy

to Fib3rguy
The rates will go up anyway. You think TWC will charge the same price every year? This is all a big show to justify a big rate increase that TWC wants anyway. They're just doing their best not to blame their own profit motives.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

There's Your Service Credit!

To all those who want a service credit...better get that free antenna fast before they exhaust their supply!
rjbasye
join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY

rjbasye

Re: There's Your Service Credit!

And cancel your TV service with them while you're at it. TWC The Worst Cable.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Cracks beginning to form...

The cracks in the legacy TV model are beginning to form... As much as people loathe Time Warner Cable, should TWC be the front-runner in al la carte channel packages, I think *most* all would be forgiven.

Giving out Antennas means this isn't going to end anytime soon. I bet TWC wins this... but ultimately, the customers will win.