dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-26 13:00:20: For years Verizon has marketed their FiOS fiber to the home service as a superior alternative to cable. ..

prev · 1 · 2
kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime
join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

kd6cae

Just leave people alone!

I'm a bit of a geek myself. Back in the dial-up days, I ran an FTP server off my dial-up line, and when I got DSL, I continued to do the same. When I got cable, I ran both a web server, and a streaming audio server off my home connection. I briefly even ran my own mail server from there. My point here is why not be able to do this stuff from our own connection if we please, and who the hell cares what it's being used for? Given things like the on-going fude between time warner cable and CBS, where anyone directly on TWC can't watch CBS content even via the CBS web site, if someone such as houkouonchi wants to provide streaming to say be able to watch CBS content via the internet, then why the hell not? Should we all go back to the days of dial-up, and not be able to do anything high end such as streaming HD video or whatever unless we have access to a colo facility. Houkouonchi wants to be able to run a VPN from his house, or stream video to whoever may want it? Then why shouldn't he be allowed to do this. Why should he be picked on for wanting to do it. Whatever happened to experimenting and seeing what the potential of the internet can be? And must we forget, Houkouonchi does also have a collocated server, which I myself have some of my data stored on. Does it really matter whether a server originates from a colo facility, or from your house? It's still the internet! And if it's a sin to even want to try and do cool technical stuff from your house, then hell we all may as well just have dial-up for internet access! Again this is just my thoughts.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

Re: Just leave people alone!

said by kd6cae:

... if someone such as houkouonchi wants to provide streaming to say be able to watch CBS content via the internet, then why the hell not?

Right; and he's apparently being slammed for doing so on a BUSINESS connection. Huh?

tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080 to kd6cae

to kd6cae
Once he was on a business account, that should have been the end of it.. but this is a signal by Verizon that they want to soft and/or hard cap subscribers. This will have a chilling effect on potential consumers who even think of signing up for 2-year service plans-- because if cosumers actually took the time to read such a pro-company document, they can terminate your account for violations of TOS, AND bill you for the ETF as well. How's that for having cake and eating it too..

If regular users who consume tremendous amounts of video... let's say pron for example, could become targets as well..

Consumers will have to re-assess Verizon FIOS's product value before subscribing and if they are not satisfied with the terms of service... choose another provider.. and if both suck, well.. that opens the door for possible action to get a 3rd party carrier to serve customers & build a network. At least there is momentum in places where Verizon neglected to build a (FTTP/MDU-DSLAM) network in the first place.
Trimox
join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Trimox

It depends on how you look at usage

Not to make it sound like 77TB (high), or 38.4TB (average) is ok or normal. He has 2 bonded 150/75 lines residential and then moved to a Small Business account. He could (correct my math if I am wrong) do:

300Mbs x 60secs x60mins x 24hrs x30days (average month) /8 bits = 97,200,000MB =97.2TB

150Mbs x 60 x 60 x 24 x30 /8 =48,600,000MB= 48.6TB

97.2 + 48.6 = 145.8TB

At the risk of starting WW3 over speed and bandwidth he was using:

High 77TB x 100 / 145.8 = 52.812%
Average 38.4 x 100 / 145.8 = 26.337%

And what he is being asked to do:

4TB x 100 / 145.8TB = 2.743%

Not that I think his usage is anywhere near normal, natural, typical, regular or ordinary. He should not be running his business holey on verizon's back. Nor should verizon be mitigating their risk of business and infrastructure on customers for short term profit. Everyone needs to look at the big long term picture. If I screw you now you will screw me in the future. That is not a good way to be a business nor a consumer. If you don't like the service quit paying for it, if you don't like what the consumer is paying don't offer it period.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Re: It depends on how you look at usage

The user subject of this thread as "I get 300/150 over two connections", which is a pair of 165/65 provisioned connections. So that's 97TB down, 45TB up, which is running is line at 100% maximum upload and about 80% download

»Re: First completed 500/100 in California..
Trimox
join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Trimox

Re: It depends on how you look at usage

You are making my point yes he is running the majority of his bandwidth as upload that is on the back of verzion.

said by houkouonchi
"I was told there would be fluff but it wouldn't be more than 15 megabits and it looks like they were right (not surprised). Unfortunately 500/115 is not enough to make the jump when for the same price I get 300/150 over two connections. Not worth loosing 35 megabits of upload especially when my last week my average upload rate has been 117.9 megabits. I could care less about the download as my average download was only 6.8 megabits."

So now he is running 117.9Mbs up and ONLY 6.8Mbs down (average per week), are you kidding me do I really need to go into the numbers (because I can). It is not rocket science what he is doing.

fatal
join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

fatal

lol

lol i bet this guys running a top site or torrents friends and family my ass
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Switch to medium business internet

Small business internet? Well, try switching to Medium business internet lol

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

Veizon and only Verizon could do it.

77 meg-a-tons on a truly residential line, bonded or not.

I hope Bloomberg and other enterprise information services don't drop their billion dollar phone loops for FiOS.

Come on; even haters are slack jawed over this closet NOC.
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs

Premium Member

That's 157

500GB hard drives of information, that's quite excessive on a monthly basis. They should publish a cap, but people don't realize resources in IT are finite and want something for nothing. They could try Amazon Glacier!
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t

FRAUD?

this is a contradiction, and sounds like fraud.. "Practically speaking, the consumer user experience with Verizon's broadband networks has no limitations," the company insists. "However there are terms of service customers agree to and are expected to adhere to." no limitations, except in the contract huh??..

need2switch
@cgocable.net

need2switch

Anon

Old news?

I vaguely remember this guy having the exact same issue last year, or possibly a couple years ago. I believe it even made Slashdot, although I can't seem to find the article.

Long story short, he shouldn't be on a residential account, and if he's pushing that kind of traffic, he should be paying for a dedicated server in a colocation centre.
prev · 1 · 2