dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-27 08:50:13: If you've got something you'd like to write about or review that is suitable for the home page, please contact us. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem

Premium Member

USB tethering stability?

Hi Fred,

Great review, thank you for sharing. Would you be able to comment on whether you're getting an HSPA or LTE signal on your Galaxy Nexus, the number of bars, and the overall connection stability via USB tethering?

I have a grandfathered unlimited account on Verizon, and I purchased my iPhone 5 in October 2012 for full MSRP. Right now I'm getting 1 bar of LTE in my new apartment, but I planned on purchasing a Wilson electronics device that should boost my signal - »www.amazon.com/Wilson-El ··· 05UF83FY

I'm also in the market for a router. Being able to use my unlimited data w/USB tethering to a router should save me $60-70/month, and I should be able to re-coup my initial investment in about half a year. Just wanted to see how your Asus router handled USB tethering over the course of a few hours (if you've even tested it for that long)
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Nice

I suppose one does get what they pay for. Fair review. Seems these are a bit expensive, though your point is well taken on getting what you pay for.

One question - does it support any 3rd party firmware?

Debated one like this, but ended up with an "off brand" that is working well.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· k%203600

It seems to be a decent router, though signal strength on this Asus seems better (which could make it well worth the price, if that's an important factor in the decision)

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

was actually looking at getting this in the near

future, thanks for the review

Contents
Contents
join:2003-04-10
Circle Pines, MN

Contents to amungus

to amungus

Re: Nice

Yes you can throw on Tomato, ect.

I went from having the Dlink DIR-855 to this reviewed ASUS. Signal strength is a lot better on the ASUS.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Love mine

My Dlink DIR-825 was a POS so I swapped it out for the AC66U about 6 months ago and I love it. Much stronger range and throughput. You can load it with DD-Wrt firmware as well but I have been happy with the stock.

I agree that the UI is "ok" and could use some work describing what some of the features are.. It is sluggish as well, but gets the job done.

Overall this is definitely a you get what you pay for router. It's my first Asus router and I am very impressed.

Great review!

Contents
Contents
join:2003-04-10
Circle Pines, MN

Contents

DLNA Server.

One thing that I like about this routers features is the DLNA server. It is very easy to plug in a USB drive, enable DLNA, then view your content. Great for the person that doesn't want to have a computer always on running Plesk. With there being a ftp server you can transfer the files directly to the router or disconnect the USB drive and copy over your files.

I'm liking it.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

1 edit

patt2k to amungus

to amungus

said by amungus:

I suppose one does get what they pay for. Fair review. Seems these are a bit expensive, though your point is well taken on getting what you pay for.

One question - does it support any 3rd party firmware?

Debated one like this, but ended up with an "off brand" that is working well.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· k%203600

It seems to be a decent router, though signal strength on this Asus seems better (which could make it well worth the price, if that's an important factor in the decision)

EDIT: whoops!

I have DD-Wrt on it
it works amazing with DD-WRT
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to karpodiem

to karpodiem

Re: USB tethering stability?

this is A review, but not a technical one.

The technical one is at »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

This is more like the important information people need.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72 to Contents

to Contents

Re: DLNA Server.

It seems that for the crowd that wants features but to have factory support, this router is excellent. Cisco pretty much let Linksys die, so Asus stepped in and picked up the slack. The Buffalo routers are nice because you can put factory-supported ddwrt on them for well under half the price of this beast.

I bought a $40 TP-link and threw ddwrt on it. Works like a champ and has most of the features of the Asus w/ 3rd party firmware.

So I equate the Asus to the "Apple" of routers.

My concern with hardware is that after 6 months when the new rev comes out they stop updating firmware. So that is why I spend the bare minimum on routers and watch what the 3rd party community supports so extend the life...I mean I have WRT54g that are almost 8 years old chugging along w/ ddwrt stable as heck.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Anyone with a mixed...

computer environment to test this model ? (Mac portables, Windows...).

I found that Dlink was the only one that worked well with macs.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I just wanted to say

Great review, thanks.
fredthomsen
Premium Member
join:2011-03-01

1 recommendation

fredthomsen to karpodiem

Premium Member

to karpodiem

I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus with T-Mobile service. I had pretty weak HSPA connectivity at my location, so speeds were quite inconsistant. However,as far as stability goes, I left it up for two hours and it stayed up without issue.

mr sean
Professional Infidel

join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia

mr sean

Good product...

...and nice review.

I picked up the RT-AC66U a few months back and have been happy with its features and performance. Nice job on covering the important elements for the consumer.
fredthomsen
Premium Member

fredthomsen to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties

Re: Anyone with a mixed...

I ran speed tests with an XPS 13 Ultrabook running Ubuntu 12.10 and a Arch Linux box mainly used as a server. For the USB connectivity tests I used my GSM Galaxy Nexus (GT-i9250).
egilbe
join:2011-03-07

egilbe to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer

Re: I just wanted to say

I have this router. The review is accurate and truthful. The interface is simple enough that my 12 year old son set up port forwarding on it for some of his games he plays and the VPN capabilities makes it useful for my work. I replaced a DIR-655 that was dropping wireless signals with this and couldn't be happier.
fredthomsen
Premium Member

fredthomsen to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt

I do not have the proper test setup to run some of these tests. I'll look into expanding the tools and equipment I have available to me for future reviews.
fredthomsen

fredthomsen to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus

I didn't test any 3rd party firmware; however, I've seem people online discussing running Tomato and DD-WRT on it. As far as the success/results they've had, I don't know.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to fredthomsen

to fredthomsen

I would definitely suggest basing a review of a networking product off of stuff anandtech/smallnetbuilder does - it's a pretty solid approach. Otherwise this is just a small step above amazon.

Actual performance measurements do matter, after all.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem to fredthomsen

Premium Member

to fredthomsen
very good, thank you!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt
Relax. I prefer to read someone's hands on review versus someone writing a review based on someone else's. People can use google to search out others as well. No need to crap on someone who took the time to write and submit their review.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Great review

Great review. I have been considering this model.

Do you know any of the power consumption statistics for this model?
jvanbrecht
join:2007-01-08
Bowie, MD

jvanbrecht

Meh.. too many useless features

I am of course probably in the minority here. I have an old DIR-655 and a newer Cisco (aka rebranded linksys) small business wireless AP.

Difference is, I turn everything off, I have no need for most of those features. In fact, if they sold a half decent bridge I would buy one since that is all I am doing. DHCP comes from a FreeBSD gateway server (I tossed the old FIOS actiontec and use a MOCA bridge). Networking is seperated by various vlans (wireless being on its own) using managed switches (Cisco SG Series, not as good as catalysts, but they work rather well).
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to fredthomsen

Premium Member

to fredthomsen

Thanks!

Very interested in routers that support the 3rd party firmwares out there. Kind of miss Tomato (on old Linksys), but am glad DD is available for my TPLink. Might have to give this Asus another look at some point.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

My experience with ASUS

In a nutshell I replaced routers every 6 months for 4 years. Then I bought an ASUS router. I have not had a problem since.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

asus rt-n10p

I recently bought an asus rt-n10p, as I was looking for a low-cost but reliable solution for internet routing. The hardware and software look similar to the rt-ac66u, but it only goes up to 100Mbps and only has 1 antenna. The wifi has 150n instead of 300.

It's only been a few days, but so far it's holding up well. There was one problem where my PC that went into sleep mode lost it's DHCP assignment; changing to static IP address fixed that problem.
fredthomsen
Premium Member

fredthomsen to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer

Re: I just wanted to say

no problem
fredthomsen

fredthomsen to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo

Re: Great review

I didn't test this, but I am seeing online people have discussed it cosuming around 10 watts just idling.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Good timing

I've been dragging my feet on a new router purchase for far too long...

A "smexy" new one is very appealing...

My set up now is being hindered by a great modem, great connection, but an old Linksys WRT54G with a 16 port switch attached.

My speeds are good, but not as good as they would be with newer hardware. I'm looking to future-proof for awhile, anyways.

Thanks for the review..this one was on my list, and your feedback helps

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski

Premium Member

Personally you can't go wrong. The initial firmware was buggy but it has been fixed with an update. I like that I don't have to mess with it, it just takes everything I throw at it.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Are there versions all update-able? I know the Linky had v2 thru v6 - I had v6.
Older versions with stock updates ceased with their last update
page: 1 · 2 · next