spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-29 14:31:45: If you've watched any of them do business for more than a few minutes, it has been amusing to watch Canadian incumbents Bell, Telus and Rogers kick, scream and cry about Verizon's possible entry into the Canadian market. ..

mrherzog

join:2001-05-06
Calgary, AB

That's fine...

Have a competitive market by letting in foreign companies who have to do it all by themselves.
Build the network on their own just like the big 3 did. Let them fight for customers just like the big 3 did.
Giving them access to spectrum the other players don't have access too isn't a fair playing field.
Letting them come in and buy a somewhat established company which is permitted certain privilages the big boys are not isn't a fair playing field.
Forcing the other 3 to permit access to their non shared towers isn't a fair playing field.

At the end of the day, any Canuck who actually watches big Sam companies come in here know they just do the same as the others. There is NO competition when the prices are the same, the services are the same, the customer service is the same.

If Verizon comes here and actually drops the rates per month for the same/better service as the big 3 forcing them to drops rates to keep customers then I'm onboard.

Unfortunately, We've seen it all to often. They come up here, promise change and go right into the normal practice of status quo.

In the US, it's the big 2 with several smaller guys. How's this any different from what's here right now?
The allure of cheaper prices which isn't going to happen, it never does.

I look forward to the forum in the future where we're bitching about the failed promises that people bought into so Verizon could come up here. I'll be right there saying told ya so. This can't be allowed to happen. Nothing will change for the better.
JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

Re: That's fine...

Disagree. Even if they provide the exact same services at the exact same prices, they will still draw customers because so many people loathe Robellus. I can't wait to see those complacent assholes crapping their pants over the churn.

And that's a good thing.
jeffreydean1

join:2010-05-31

100% agreed. ANYTHING that loses Rogers and Bell customers is a GOOD thing. If they lose enough customers, and thus revenue, they will be forced to make some changes or at least be less complacent.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

Going from the big 3 to the big 4 is not a good game plan.
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB

Or Big 3 to Small 6 is better.
Forcing the incumbants to be broken down, including verizon if they pull any punches to hog the spotlight, the consumers would just resort to some methods to lower their profit margins... Like 3rd party internet resellers, its not about reducing their main profit that goes upstream, but lowering their subscriberbase so they look like they have MUCH less customers with them to their investors!

Etobicoke, ON

Wishful thinking at best and although I understand what you're saying about third party provides even under the most ideal conditions that won't happen.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
And VZW will be no better than Bell and Rogers. That's the point. VZW is just as bad. Nothing will change.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
The big three got huge amounts of FREE spectrum from the government decades ago. How is it fair that the big three should use the huge revenue generated by that massive donation to block anybody else from buying spectrum?

The playing field is already skewed. How come the existing companies get tons of free spectrum, but Verizon will have to pay hundreds of millions of dollars even a small amount of it?
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

Etobicoke, ON

As well as subsidies to build out their networks.

Anyway, I don't want Verizon coming here. I would rather see WIND purchase Mobilicity for their AWS spectrum and continue to expand their network.
elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

Not enough do re me. The existing 2 guys are highly concentrated in the metros and their coverage in the GTA is even sketch. The parents live in Brampton, and that is on the fringe of coverage and by no means is that suburban.

Verizon doesn't really want to come into Canada because they will never make any real money there. What they want is when the new spectrum auctions come out they will bait Robellus into signing a non-compete clause and have compatible LTE roaming and they may go even as far as allowing cross-border roaming (for a fee of course so both can profit.

For instance my iphone 5 roams in Telus 3G (CDMA) when I am in Canada, and how long will Telus support 3G CDMA? So my super duper phone when I cross from Buffalo to NF goes to sleep? Verizon can't afford that, because the GSM guys will eat their lunch. And Sprint, well it's Sprint. They are still upgrading their dialup networks so they have enough to worry about already.

Also the 700 Mhz spectrum blocks going on sale would be compatible w/ Verizon LTE today, so if they bought out a small guy they would have to trash the Huawei equipment (probably because the Chinese, not the NSA can spy) and bring in AL, SE, etc to man the towers. That is a huge capital investment for little return AND capped growth due to Canada mercantile laws. I don't really see that as making sense.
LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1

i hate to break it to you but Brampton is practically the definition of suburban.

that said, my experience is clearly different than yours, as i rarely notice signal issues while traveling pretty much anywhere in south western Ontario.
resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
They are forced to offer to share towers (if there is room available), and get paid for any sharing that actually takes place (ie next to none).

HOWEVER, they make use of loopholes:
The Big 3 will offer Wind a position on a celluar tower that is 2 feet above ground. Wind will not accept it and claim Rogers is not offering tower sharing. Roger counter that it did in fact offer a spot on the tower and that it was Wind that rejected it.

Also, some of the Big 3 deliberately keep outdated equipment which isn't in use on the tower, just so there's no room for one of the new entrants to place their equipment, and again can't tower share.

There are a ton of loopholes, and they're all being used.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

MyrddinEmrys

join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON
said by mrherzog:

Build the network on their own just like the big 3 did. Let them fight for customers just like the big 3 did.

No they didn't, they started in a different area of the market, or in Telus' case, bought themselves into the market.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Can some canadian companies come here?

Be pissed canadian companies and come here! Lower some prices and give us more competition!
dra6o0n

Mississauga, ON

Re: Can some canadian companies come here?

The only 'canadian' ones is Bell, Rogers, and Telus.
But by a true stance of Canadian citizenship and native homeland for the business, Rogers isn't a pure canadian since it was a division of AT&T.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

No..not really. Rogers was started 1925 and had nothing to do with AT&T. Rogers Wireless was at one time Cantel AT&T then Rogers AT&T, with AT&T being a large shareholder of that division, but they have nothing to do with Rogers anymore. Rogers also was in business with Sprint for a short time with home phone.

If anything, Verizon would come up here, buy Wind, then it would turn around and sell it for profit, most likely to Rogers since they're likely the richest of the 3 largest telecommunication companies. And Verizon has enough cash and lobbyists to wag the dog, if you know what I mean.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein
dra6o0n

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB

So what you are saying, is that Verizon is technically coming into canada, under the guise of it's own agenda, when in reality it's being paid by incumbants to get rid of the small companies by scooping them up, and selling em back to the incumbants?

So whilst the plan is to divde and conquer the market, the incumbants will find a way to do the opposite and 'unite' all the lost pieces back to themselves?
hgroovy

join:2013-08-06
Toronto, ON
said by dra6o0n:

The only 'canadian' ones is Bell, Rogers, and Telus.
But by a true stance of Canadian citizenship and native homeland for the business, Rogers isn't a pure canadian since it was a division of AT&T.

And bell was owned by verison...

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Only one that is decent is Wind and they really aren't Canadian. Wind is a multinational telecommunication company with over 200 million customers. Unsure why they don't do business in the USA. But my plan is $30/month (plus regular taxes, nothing else, so total is $33.90) which is unlimited data and unlimited province wide calling. No complaints..it's not as fast as the others, but good enough for Netflix if I want, but perfect for Slacker and MLB Radio, only issue is that it is geographically limited. Service in my city is pretty good, but go the mall or downtown or Toronto for that matter, it does slow down. But..$30/month. I doubt Verizon can even touch that.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

infamouskid

join:2007-01-24
North York, ON

lol fair my arse..

i have to agree with guspaz if the big want a fair playing field they should give back the spectrum they didn't buy in first place and let everyone fairly big on it.
we'll see how the playing field looks like after.
--
BELL CAN SUCKADANUTZ!

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

Verizon (The Phone Company) good?

One knows good as good only because there is evil.

anonec

@dslqz.com

Message for Bell, Rogers, Telus

message for Bell, Rogers, Telus!

if the canadian Air ways our canadian Natural Resources then why are we canadians paying for our own resources? Why are you making a profit off of my air ways?