spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-08-30 08:34:34: AT&T's prepaid AIO wireless brand, currently being sued by T-Mobile for use of the color magenta, will soon be available to all customers nationwide. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Not worth it

Their pricng almost mirrors AT&T Mobility's retarded, expensive pricing. But at least you can skip the taxes.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

no thanks

I'll keep my 83 cents/mo tmo service, no dropped calls, no unfees no usf.
--
Despises any post with strings.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Data speed limits....

»www.aiowireless.com/legal-info/D···eds.html

"Though data speeds vary due to several factors, including those beyond Aio's control, our 4G LTE service currently offers download speeds up to 8 Mbps and our 4G HSPA+ service currently offers download speeds up to a maximum of 4 Mbps. On our 3G HSPA/UMTS service, typical download speeds range from approximately 700 Kbps up to 1.7 Mbps. Aio does not offer mobile broadband Internet access service in different speed tiers and your data speeds depend on the available serving technology as well as the capabilities of your device."

These speeds seem a lot lower than what you can get through AT&T directly, no?...
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to dvd536

Re: no thanks

83 cents?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

Speeds reduced?....

Interesting...

So AT&T offers a $70 unlimited talk/text/data plan through AIO... You get 7GB of high speed LTE data (8 Mbps)... I wonder what the speed is reduced to after exceeding that limit.

Compare that to the "Unlimited Data Plan" AT&T begrudgingly still supports at $30/month, and which it caps at 5GB before reducing speed to a crawl... You still have to add voice/texts for an extra charge. (Unlimited Texts alone is $20/month, includes unlimited mobile to mobile calling) "Anytime" minutes are on top of that... yikes.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

ADL

join:2000-12-20
USA

Thanks T-Mobile

ATT is only offering these decent prices due to T-Mobile.

Not having the ability to roam on prepaid sucks though.

mister2d

join:2001-12-24
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

cheaper than t-mobile?

$30/month - 100 minutes, unlimited text and LTE data (5GB then throttle) with T-Mobile.

Why is this cheaper again?

gergles
Greg
Premium
join:2003-05-30
New York, NY

1 recommendation

No tethering

Among the prohibited uses are uses that: " tethers a wireless device to a computing device (such as a computer, Smartphone, eBook or eReader, media player, laptop, or other devices with similar functions) through use of connection kits, applications, devices or accessories (using wired or wireless technology) and you have not subscribed to a specific data plan designed for this purpose"

No tethering, no thanks. You can't have it both ways, AT&T - either I get unlimited data and you tell me what I can do with it, or I buy a bucket and they're my bytes. Period.

ryderuntil

join:2001-01-31
Mocksville, NC

gophone could be the better deal

i am using the GP $25 250/50meg plan of LTE on my Skyrocket. i use little data. for most people the $60 UL,minutes, message, international messages and 2gig of Full speed LTE is a nice deal.

aio must be for data hogs.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to mister2d

Re: cheaper than t-mobile?

because some people still need phone minutes

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA
reply to mister2d

First, you only get 100 minutes. Secondly, T-Mobile geographic coverage is absolutely terrible and they're only able to compete on price.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
reply to IPPlanMan

83 cents if there is zero usage. Use it and pay through the nose.

mister2d

Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

reply to ssavoy

Terrible where you are sure. Not here.

Also, I use VOIP. That's my 100 minute workaround.

mister2d

Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

reply to MovieLover76

VOIP

ssavoy
Premium
Dallas, PA
reply to mister2d

I used them in many metro areas and the consistency was abysmal. But they don't have the money to be great. aio is probably not designed for DSLReports users.

And how many people really need to fiddle with VoIP?

mister2d

Baltimore, MD

Not many use VoIP I presume. But there is an unlimited plan for $40 and you can tether, so if you have good Tmo reception it's the better value imo.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to mister2d

Doesn't work reliably everywhere.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to ryderuntil

Re: gophone could be the better deal

Maybe. Or just folks who are okay with throttled data (8 Mbps on LTE, 4 Mbps on H+) in exchange for more of it. Kind of like T-Mobile's Go Smart Mobile offering, which is much less expensive.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Free month, huh?

I bought a Lumia 520 GoPhone a week and change ago, but haven't activated it because the rate plans are expensive. But hey, I'll take Aio for a spin if they're giving away a month for free. At which point I'll go back to the Airvoice Wireless SIM that's coming in the mail in a few days.

As much as I dislike supporting the Death Star, these plans are a step in the right direction. Relatively large data buckets, phones aren't heavily subsidized (trust me, AT&T is throwing $50 into the pot for every one of the phones they're selling on Aio), and no contracts...with the nationwide launch, there now isn't a good reason for most people to sign a contract with AT&T. Tethering is nice, but not necessary for many.

rob11252

join:2006-09-08
Macomb, MI
reply to josephf

yes, 83c per month is not a joke although I don't see how it relates to AIO discussion.
TMobile has a prepaid voice/text only service called TMobileToGo where, after you spend $100 with them, they allow you to keep the number for $10 a year. That $10 buys you 35mins/texts. Great for emergency, backup and rare usage (kids, elders, etc). BTW, a one time expense of $100 buys you 1000 min and is good for 1y and can be used on TMO, ATT and in Canada (Rogers- expensive but works).

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to iansltx

and those other places are where I can actually be unreachable. Not always a bad thing.
--
A sane approach to our federal budget: Ignore the tea party

rob11252

Macomb, MI
reply to ssavoy

That "absolutely terrible coverage" reaches 300 mln people. From a Zdnet article: "Its total PoP coverage -- which stands for the number of people in its service area -- is 301 million. About 283 million of them are covered by owned network; 228 million are served with 4G with another 200 million scheduled to switch by the end of 2013."

ssavoy
Premium
Dallas, PA
Reviews:
·Anveo

I said geographically. POPs aren't everything, hence why they only have a ~12% marketshare despite having the best prices.

Are the people with 1 bar of 2G that live 5 minutes outside the beltway of a metro area considered part of that 301 million?

rob11252

Macomb, MI
reply to ssavoy

I used them in many metro areas and I suggest you should have checked your phone first before blaming the network.

mister2d

Baltimore, MD
reply to ssavoy

Market share? jeez that tired comment. How about:

-Branded postpaid net loss of 199,000 customers, an improvement of 61-percent year-over-year.
-Branded prepaid net gains of 202,000 customers.
-34 million total customers at the end of the Q1 2013, up 576,000 quarter-over-quarter.
-Branded postpaid churn of 1.9-percent, the lowest since Q2 2008.
-EBITDA (explained below) of $1.2 billion, down 7.5-percent y-o-y but up 12.4-percent q-o-q.
-Capital expenditures of $1.1 billion, primarily due to network enhancements.

Hey it works great for those who have it. And those number in the millions. Also this is all besides the main point.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Data speed limits....

yes they are slower, AT&T prioritizes there Post paid costumers, and pre-paid over MNVO's

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
reply to mister2d

Same here!, VOIP works great!

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
reply to rob11252

Agreed!

Cobra11M

Mineral Wells, TX
reply to iansltx

Re: Free month, huh?

maybe thats the idea, to get people off of contracts.. lets face it some of the carrier's hate paying a arm and leg all at once.. especially when the next iPhone pop's up

snarf7

join:2013-08-31
reply to Cobra11M

Re: Data speed limits....

They gotta give some perks to the people that over pay right