spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-09-02 10:12:00: Everyone here at DSLReports wishes you a happy, healthy and safe three day weekend. . ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Labor Day

Have a safe Labor Day.

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

3 recommendations

3 day weekend! I can stay up late.. Probably in bed by 9pm.. getting old sucks.

jerminy11

join:2011-12-27
Texarkana, AR

2 recommendations

Ripe Atlas

My Ripe Atlas came in the mail today!!!!

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

US made smartphone can be made as cheaply as in China

»apnews.myway.com//article/201308···9G1.html

The Moto X is the first smartphone to carry the "Made in the U.S.A." designation. Labor costs are higher in the U.S. compared with Asian factories, where phones are typically made. But IHS said the Moto X is about 5 percent cheaper to make than Samsung Electronic Co.'s flagship Galaxy S4 phone. The firm said the Moto X's overall production cost is just 9 percent more than that of Apple's iPhone 5.

The findings come as little surprise, as the labor cost of a phone is just a small part of its production cost. IHS estimates that labor and other assembly costs Motorola $12 per phone for the Moto X, bringing the production cost to $226. That compares with $207 for the iPhone 5 and $237 for the Galaxy S4. IHS said Motorola is able to keep the cost of parts low by using standard components that don't break much new ground.

Can the US get back in the game assembling consumer electronic devices? We have Vizio HDTVs and now Motorola amartphones assembled in the US.
--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

8 recommendations

reply to Lone Wolf

Re: Labor Day

All you Anti-union people out there, be sure to show up to work on Monday.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

Re: US made smartphone can be made as cheaply as in China

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

SuperFast; Superefficient Snapdragon 800 will run new phones

»gigaom.com/2013/08/30/ready-for-···-corner/

At least two companies, if not more, are expected to announce powerful new mobile devices built around Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 chip.

Sony’s Xperia Ultra and LG’s G2 may or may not fully utilize the chip’s functionality.

For example, the Snapdragon 800 supports much higher resolution video capture: Enough to display such content on a UHD HDTV if you have one. That means stills of up to 21 megapixels or video at 4,000 x 2,000 pixels. The chip can also push a lot of pixels on a screen too, supporting displays up to 2560 x 2048 or sending 1080p video wirelessly through Miracast. A new Adreno 330 graphics chip is expected to boost visual performance by 50 percent from the prior version; when combined with the display tech it should offer some excellent gaming opportunties.

From a wireless perspective, 802.11ac Wi-Fi is natively supported, offering faster speeds and greater range for those with a compatible router. I upgraded to one of these routers earlier this year and see a noticeable boost with devices that support the standard.

Qualcomm also includes its Quick Charge 2.0 technology, which it says charges devices 75 percent faster than phones or tablets without the feature.

Faster graphics; faster WiFi; lower powerdrain; etc. Snapdragon 800 specs: »www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/processors/800

Hey, who needs a laptop anymore? Smartphones and tablets are getting faster than laptps.
--

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
reply to jerminy11

Re: Ripe Atlas

If its ripe make sure you use it before it goes bad!

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ

We are all descended from Mars , no kidding

No kidding, scientists now think life on earth evolved from Martian microbes. »theweek.com/article/index/248987···rom-mars

"The evidence seems to be building that we are actually all Martians; that life started on Mars and came to Earth on a rock."

Yes, hardy microbes — our distant ancestors — hitched a ride to Earth on a meteorite.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf1Gs088ew8
--

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to jerminy11

said by jerminy11:

My Ripe Atlas came in the mail today!!!!

I had to look that up. Never heard of Ripe Atlas. Very familiar with Ripe database though.

»atlas.ripe.net/about/faq/
--

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

2 recommendations

reply to ITALIAN926

Unfortunately anti-corruption and anti-union are synonymous now, with only a few exceptions.

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
reply to ITALIAN926
I will be working Labor Day, thank you. Some jobs are so important, that we work 365/24/7.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

All you Anti-union people out there, be sure to show up to work on Monday.

This!
--
Say no to astroturfing. go to their profile, start ignoring posts and ignoring what's not true.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

3 recommendations

reply to Lone Wolf
Just remember now in the US we honor those who work, By demanding the stores be open causing them to work.

Federal holidays did at one point meant something in America, Now it means discount prices on TVs from Korea, China and Japan.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

The US has to get into manufacturing to survive. You have to manufacture for the home market and export to survive.
For years I worked as sales manager for a small manufacturing company here in the US.

We had $8,500,000 a year in sales.
The president was export driven and we sold into the US, all South American countries, England, Germany, France, Australia and Japan.

6 managers and 100 factory employees all had good salaries, health insurance and pensions, and the company made a few million every year in profit.

Now if those products are made in China, all the US gets out of it is a bill and the profit all goes to China.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN
reply to michieru
Moto X Defies Conventional Wisdom About U.S. Production

In a report released late Tuesday, IHS estimated that it costs Motorola about $226 to produce the Moto X, including $12 in labor costs. While the amount paid to workers in Motorola"s Texas factory is substantially more than what laborers get in the Chinese factories that put together smartphones for many other companies, IHS found, that cost is not making the Moto X more expensive than its rivals.

The phone is competing as a lower-cost alternative to Apple"s iPhone 5 and Samsung"s Galaxy S4. IHS estimated those phone brands cost $207 and $237 per phone to produce, respectively.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2···900.html
--

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Just remember now in the US we honor those who work, By demanding the stores be open causing them to work.

Federal holidays did at one point meant something in America, Now it means discount prices on TVs from Korea, China and Japan.

Don't complain. Those low paying, part time, no benefit jobs are about all that's left in the new Amerika.
--
"when the people have suffered many abuses under the control of a totalitarian leader, they not only have the right but the duty to overthrow that government." - The U.S. Declaration of Independence

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
reply to jerminy11

I don't know what to do with all these damned credits.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Comcast's lousy customer service

Had an issue with my Xfinity Home Control service with the lighting controller not working. Called 1800Comcast to get the number since they don't deal with the xfinity home part of the deal. Rep was pleasant and gave me the number. So I called the number and got an American call center (surprisingly) but the rep was rude and unpleasant. I explained the issue. She put me on hold without saying please hold. Waited on hold a good ten minutes and got disconnected. Issue seems to have gone away.

Companies these days forget they are overhead and customers are profit. The thing of the matter is you need to invest in overhead to rake in profit.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Harddrive

I'd gladly accept those
All donations are welcome, basic instructions are

Any host with spare credits wishing to transfer some credits can do so at their RIPE Atlas "my credits" page under the "transfer" tab to the email
tshirtripeprobeATcomcast.net.
AT=@

Have any problems just ask

»Help measure the global Internet!

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
reply to FFH5

Great post. Thanks! Have a great weekend.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
reply to tshirt

Maybe when I get to a million or something.

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Grateful...

Thanks to those of you who actually labor.

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to FFH5

Re: We are all descended from Mars , no kidding

Well, now we know what happened on Mars...

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

1 edit
reply to Harddrive

Anytime.
They build up faster than you think.
My probe has been running for 63 days, but it seems like only yesterday...

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to bgraham

More and more will return here, as long as fuel prices are high. and the bigger (heavier) the objects, the quicker they will come back.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Spared a grieving family

I was driving mom and grandma to garage sales (I've got better things to do with my time as garage sales are not my favorite activity) and we came across an estate sale. Among the items for sale at the estate sale was a DirecTV receiver and I politely reminded the host that DirecTV wants their equipment back. I think the equipment in question was a D10 SD receiver.

I probably spared the family from collection agency hell. Not much you can collect off of a deceased individual unless the estate has money and that takes the long process of going through probate. I felt kind of sad thinking this was once somebody's things and a grieving family had to decide to sell them off.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
They have to call Direct TV.one of My friends when changing from dish they did't want all there boxes back due for some resion so he let take one and take it apart.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

FINALLY!! It's time for football.

College football is here. I'm on my way to Atlanta to watch Bama.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Spared a grieving family

DirecTV never wanted my equipment back, just their access cards which they got. I continue to own all four boxes, the hard drives in them etc, and once my initial contract term was up it was all mine including the dish.

The only thing to look out for is a bricked unit - if there's an account in arrears associated with a box you'll not be able to activate it (without paying anyway, in which case just buy a new one).
--
Time is an abstract concept invented by carbon based life forms to monitor their constant decay.-Thunderclese