dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-09-05 12:03:08: Last month Blackberry announced that the company had formed a committee to explore the potential sale of the company, after the company's latest OS and smartphones failed to be the game changers they'd promised. ..

TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

MSFT?

This would be a great addition to MSFT or even Samsung.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Telegraphing your demise

to the whole world; real smart.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

Where are next years phones?

From my point of view Blackberry spend too many years developing bb10 and putting out the z10 and q10 phones.

Both Apple and Samsung continue developing and put out new phones ever year (for apple it seemed like they started to hit their stride with the Iphone 3 and for samsung the s2 then the s3).

It doesn't sound like Blackberry has plans to put out newer better phones next year. I think you have to be planning ahead. Samsung is always finding ways to improve their flagship Galaxy devices.

If blackberry wants to come back they need to be release newer/better phones every year as well.

If not someone's only going to buy them out for the patents and security software.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Apple doesn't really put out any new phones. The design is the same, the specs are pretty much the same, etc. The only thing that's different really is the iOS update. And the dual cameras which weren't on the device to start off with.

Samsung actually develops, they change their phones, the looks, the feel, etc.

And just because they wish to sell the company, doesn't mean they won't put out devices; unless GOOG takes over and then they won't do anything with the company but gut it and lay off thousands of people. Any who buys them out has a HUGE deal with governments around the world for phones and software.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Who cares????

Plenty of cell phone makers and sellers out there, in the big picture it does not matter whether Blackberry lives or dies. Ironic that they really started this obsession with smart phones but this isn't the first time in tech some thing like this has happened. Crackberry to deadberry. LOL.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Who cares? Probably the millions of people who have this as part of their retirement portfolio.
Thankfully, I'm not in that boat.
EUS

EUS to zod5000

Premium Member

to zod5000

Re: Where are next years phones?

Now that BB has released the keys to various countries in exchange for market entry, I'd like to ask, what security?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband

Re: MSFT?

said by TBBroadband:

The only value left at Blackberry are their hundreds of patents. Nobody wants them for anything else.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Move To Software

It is great to be an armchair quarterback after the fact but the writing has been on the wall for BlackBerry since around 2010 when iOS and Android really took off. The ideal solution would have been for them to move their platform to an application that could run on iOS and Android and skip the proprietary OS. Even HP threw in the towel with PalmOS (or whatever they wound up calling it) and that used to have a huge market share.
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz

Blackberry Sale

I suspect that Apple will buy BlackBerry for its patents. If that does not happen, then a private equity firm my buy them like what happened to the cable company RCN. I do not think Microsoft will buy RIM as they just bought most of Nokia for 7.8 Billion Time will tell what happens here

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

It would be smart if MSFT buy them, Blackberry was a smartphone innovator and has some very valuable patents. It would still be possible since they want to be sold by November, thus open to any offers.
OSUGoose

OSUGoose to EUS

to EUS

Re: Telegraphing your demise

Or they simply see the writing on the wall.

Besides they now have 2 months of a bid war to deal with.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Microsoft seems to enjoy overpaying for crap.

They can buy them! It's not like Windows Mobile won't die anyway. They can enjoy all of the Nokia and Blackberry patents when it does!
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

At this point, any company that's already making phone hardware or software will do exactly the same thing. Since RIM has an Android app under development, Google may want them to get it and prevent it going to another platform. I could see Google getting them and rolling them into Motorola. Then take the combined company and use it to make stock Android devices with RIM's tech, and aim those directly at businesses. No carrier bloatware, and new updates can be pushed out immediately instead of going to manufacturers and then carriers for approval/butchering.
Eldorados
join:2005-11-25

Eldorados to zod5000

to zod5000
Perhaps you haven't seen the new Q5 that was just released or heard the news of the new Z30 which is due out near the end of this year which is intended to compete with the Galaxy

Yeah.. a bit late, but they are pushing more phones out
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

1 recommendation

majortom1029

microsoft

Microsoft would be the best bet since both are big in corporate environments.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by TBBroadband:

The only value left at Blackberry are their hundreds of patents. Nobody wants them for anything else.

However I think those patents might work well for MSFT, Owning them could clear lots of hurdles for getting windows phones to become the favored corporate phone.

In a logical MSFT could for example take BBM and find a way to work it into Windows so someone at their desktop PC could pull up a window and BBM someone seamlessly.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to Eldorados

to Eldorados

The trouble is that RIM is now publicly on the auction block, and anyone who's paying attention knows that the likelihood is pretty good that whoever buys it will simply cannibalize the company for technology and parents. Considering all this, it's going to be hard to convince many businesses to make significant investments in Blackberries.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

Very true. the hardware could be useful as well for those that want the same feel. MSFT could work the two systems together.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Google could do that now. They do not though. Google has done little to nothing with Motorola Mobility which was stupid on their part. They've gutted the company and done with it.

MSFT or another large actual phone marker would be better suited with BB.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to EUS

to EUS
Those keys aren't given out to the mass public like Android is.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to n2jtx

to n2jtx

Re: Move To Software

HP could have made WebOS something if it wished. They didn't even do anything with it after they purchased it.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008

Re: Microsoft seems to enjoy overpaying for crap.

and Nokia owns a great deal of patents that Apple and others use on their phones.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to EUS

to EUS

Re: Who cares????

said by EUS:

Who cares? Probably the millions of people who have this as part of their retirement portfolio.
Thankfully, I'm not in that boat.

You can't fall in love with stock in the end it's just a piece of paper, you can't live in it, drive it or sleep with it. I do feel sorry for retirees who do fall in love, Eron comes to mind.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

1 edit

EUS

Premium Member

I don't think it's a question of love, I think in general most retirees (both current and future) are beyond ignorant as to what their 401's/RRSP are made up of, they'll take a hit without knowing that they even held any shares.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

said by EUS:

I don't think it's a question of love, I think in general most retirees (both current and future) are beyond ignorant as to what their 401's/RRSP are made up of, they'll take a hit without knowing that they even held any shares.

Just about everyone in the US that has a retirement account took a hit on GM. One way or another GM got everyone and no one really realizes the scope of the amount of money that disappeared. All the GM bonds and stock puff gone.....