dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-09-10 14:21:56: As countless leaks already predicted, Apple today announced that they're offering a few new iPhones: a slight flagship iPhone refresh called the iPhone 5S, and a new line of cheaper, brightly-colored iPhones with the A6 chipset known as the 5C. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

wilbarger
join:2001-06-06
Quinlan, TX

1 recommendation

wilbarger to ShellMMG

to ShellMMG

Re: err

She is not a professional if she relies on a cell phone camera.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 edit

IPPlanMan

Sprint specific model?

Have you noticed there's a Sprint-specific model?
»www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
Sprint’s LTE networks work over the 800 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2.5 GHz bands. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· networks

LTE Band Support:
iPhone 5c: Model A1532
iPhone 5s: Model A1533

AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon
1 (2100 MHz)
2 (1900 MHz)
3 (1800 MHz)
4 (AWS)
5 (850 MHz)
8 (900 MHz)
13 (700c MHz)
17 (700b MHz)
19 (800 MHz)
20 (800 DD)
25 (1900 MHz)

iPhone 5c: Model A1456
iPhone 5s: Model A1453

Sprint
1 (2100 MHz)
2 (1900 MHz)
3 (1800 MHz)
4 (AWS)
5 (850 MHz)
8 (900 MHz)
13 (700c MHz)
17 (700b MHz)
18 (800 MHz)
19 (800 MHz)
20 (800 DD)
25 (1900 MHz)
26 (800 MHz)

Lots of 800MHz support, which is nice....Sprint-specific iPhones will likely take a hit on resale value domestically...

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: 5s is the Obvious choice...

I have a 4S on Sprint and see no reason to upgrade. There is no LTE available to me except in a tiny area near work. The new 5S just does not have a "gotta have" feature for me.

I am curious though about the issue with the Sprint having a unique iPhone 5S. According to the web site referenced above, the Sprint 5S actually supports more frequency bands then the AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile phone. Regardless, buying such a phone from Sprint could very well mean you will have a phone that is only usable with Sprint and at the price they are charging, it isn't worth it.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

3 recommendations

RiseAbove to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Steve Jobs probably moved graves...

Android is kicking their butt because the software is on everything from HDMI sticks to cheap free phones on every carrier around the globe. When you give something away for free people will use that first and foremost that is why you can get an Android tablet for under $100 from China. Android is the Windows of mobile phones right now, polluted, everywhere, and becoming more and more boring.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to n2jtx

to n2jtx

Re: 5s is the Obvious choice...

Of course, you've probably paid off the subsidy on that iPhone 4S by now... so holding onto it actually means that you're continuing to give Sprint money each month for a paid-off iPhone without having a lower bill from it.

You might as well trade it in and upgrade, assuming you want to stick with Sprint the next couple of years. The device cost is a very small portion of your overall service, relatively speaking. It really is.
IPPlanMan

IPPlanMan to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: Simultaneous Voice/Data for iPhone 5C/5S on Verizon/Sprint?

So we're going to have to wait for Voice over LTE from Verizon/Sprint?

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove to kxrm

Premium Member

to kxrm

wow how young are some of the people on this comment message board that they don't understand the technology differences between CDMA and GSM? It has nothing to do with ATT innovating crap, it is the technology in GSM that allows simultaneous voice and data. Verizon uses CDMA which does not allow it because of the version of the technology they are on. Plus apple never put in a third antenna to allow it once they tossed in LTE so again you could not use it.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5 to RiseAbove

Premium Member

to RiseAbove

said by RiseAbove:

Android is kicking their butt because the software is on everything from HDMI sticks to cheap free phones on every carrier around the globe. When you give something away for free people will use that first and foremost that is why you can get an Android tablet for under $100 from China. Android is the Windows of mobile phones right now, polluted, everywhere, and becoming more and more boring.

»news.investors.com/techn ··· sday.htm

Apple's iOS mobile software holds just 17% of the global market, far behind the 75.3% held by Android, according to IDC research. In the U.S., Apple has 43.4% market share vs. Google's 51.1%, according to Kantar Worldpanel research.

The 5C prices aren't going to cut in to the Android lead around the world.
kxrm
join:2002-07-18
Fort Worth, TX

kxrm to RiseAbove

to RiseAbove

Eh, I am not young, but I will take the complement. Yes I know that it was the underlying technology but AT&T was the only one to actually market it.
kxrm

1 recommendation

kxrm to ShellMMG

to ShellMMG
Just don't ever be one of those iPad users that takes pictures everywhere. It is really annoying to be on vacation and deal with an iPad user blocking my entire shot with a gigantic tablet.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Still a 4-inch screen/mediocre battery life vs. competition?

Apple refuses to budge on the 4-inch screen size? Is this Apple just being contrarian or are there actual good-sense reasons for this?

Also, Motorola makes a phone with a 48 hour "active-usage" battery-life...
»www.motorola.com/us/shop ··· axx.html
Is there a reason Apple can't or doesn't want to do this either?
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to kxrm

to kxrm

Actually that was more by accident rather than a design intent. GSM being old tech uses TDMA for voice, so it requires a TDMA radio. However GSM spec is constantly being updated, and it calls for CDMA for data (TDMA is horribly outdated and would provide very slow data services otherwise.)

So just by coincidence of the fact that AT&T used GSM, they were able to provide simultaneous voice and data, whereas the pure CDMA carriers (Sprint, Verizon) could not. Verizon uses a newer CDMA tech that allows for this on practically all newer phones (iphone 5 being the only exception I'm aware of,) but Sprint is shitty no matter what they do and they'll probably never provide this service, just like a bunch of other things they don't do.

T-mobile, also being a GSM carrier, has always had this capability, though they never made it a point to advertise it.
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to kxrm

to kxrm

Re: Finger Print technology?

I disagree. This is a way to get finger print reading technology to the masses. The fingerprint stuff in laptops was in business model laptops, not mass market laptops that people were buying at Best Buy.

Fingerprint reading, handprint reading, hand geometry reading, retina scanning have been around for years in corporate environments. People have used these type of things at work for years.

Now there will be a fingerprint reader in a single product that sells in the millions. Not a laptop that sells a few hundred thousand over several years to IT departments.

Now that it will be available to millions almost overnight, it will catch on. It doesn't matter how old the technology is or that someone did it before. The implementation and marketing matters more than anything. Haven't we all learned that by now?

Apple didn't invent much, but they marketed the hell out of the things the technologies they decided to reuse in their products. And they spent the capital to make them cheaper to the mass market. To deny that is to just hate on Apple just because. And that is childish.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to skeechan

to skeechan

Re: iPhone 5C is.. plastic?

The S4 is really a GREAT phone though, even though it has that terrible polycarbonate case....

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Re: Still a 4-inch screen/mediocre battery life vs. competition?

Not everyone wants a giant device to carry around everywhere. 4 inch is the "sweet spot" I believe.

The battery is pretty bleh though.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to WHT

Premium Member

to WHT

Aw man.. almost enough to power some devices.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

I think I will just keep my Iphone 4 for a while

I don't see anything here that is going to up and make me pop/flock to the new devices. Plus I believe the latest incursion of iOS can't be jailbroken.

that's kind of a deal killer for me.

I think the next phone I get might be a droid.

Would it be too Star Wars of me if I said I wanted to own a droid, and network name my phone as r2-d2? I already have a printer named "c3p0"
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to patt2k

to patt2k

Re: LOL

Looks like the GST of A$103 was included in the price, but point taken! That's way too expensive for a phone of this "calibre".

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to ShellMMG

to ShellMMG

said by ShellMMG:

Our daughter is ecstatic over the iPhone 5 because of the camera upgrades. She's a professional photographer.

A professional photographer doesn't use a cell phone camera. They use a Canon 5D MK III (yum.. drool..)

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall

I think it's more of an issue of people having smaller hands rather than preference on the actual screen size, it's more of the size of the phone.

I love my Galaxy s4 and it's really not much different to hold than my iPhone now that they're both in cases (iPhone 5 in Otterbox defender, GS4 in Otterbox Commuter)

Main advantage to the small screen on the iPhone is texting with one hand... disadvantage is small screen.. lol.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

iPhone 5S's A7 and M7 chips?

Looks like they copied Samsung's S4 (International Version).

2 processors, one running for high performance, one running for power efficiency. Samsung did this already with their Exynos 5 Octa processor in the S4.
Ultrafast LTE wireless. Most phones have this by now.
Apple is still sporting an 8Mpxl camera? Really? Wasn't that feature in the iPhone 4S? Couldn't they have bumped the camera to at least 13Mpxls?

Like I said, older (or already existing) technology inside a shiny new case. Nothing really new.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Another year and 3 months

Another year and three months left on my contract before I can upgrade but I am not buying that piece of junk iPhone 5C. The colors would be covered by the OtterBox anyways.

The iPhone 5C might be good for a 14 year old but for someone who is going to be 30 in less a little over a month I think the iPhone 5S is a little more age appropriate for grown-ups. When I can upgrade in December of 2014 I think there will be another generation of iPhone out.

I had a lot of friends back when I was 14. But we hung out after school and not on Twitterbook. And phones we used were connected by a red and a green wire known as the "ring" and "tip" to the telco's central office. But we had beepers back then. Only doctors and lawyers along with the upper class had cell phones back in 1998. And those things were huge.

The rest of us threw 35 cents into a payphone to make a local call on the go. Oh how the times have changed. Now cell phones do more than make calls. They now do everything from controlling your lights and heat with the Xfinity Home Control to paying for your breakfast at Dunkin Donuts with their App. They even act as your remote starter to your car if you have the appropriate hardware installed in your ride.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven

Re: iPhone 5S's A7 and M7 chips?

Maybe they and Samsung secretly settled with a licensing agreement.

Many settlements include a secrecy clause.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

old apple computer equipment is worth more then your iphone
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh

There is so much fail in this post.

GSM uses a time division-based air interface for voice and data (similar, but not the same as real TDMA or D-AMPS networks). This is the 2G "EDGE" networks that all the original GSM carriers operated. It did not provide for voice and data simultaneously.

The UMTS, or 3G Networks use a Wideband-CDMA air interface called, you guessed it, WCDMA. The UMTS specification allowed for simultaneous transmission of voice and data. UMTS is not GSM, although it is the 3G upgrade path to GSM and is sometimes called 3G-GSM or 3GSM. It was most definitely part of the design of the air interface, and not just "an accident".

Verizon, prior to rolling out LTE, used IS-95 CDMA (cdmaOne) and its successor CDMA2000, both developed by Qualcomm. Original CDMA2000 provided 1xRTT data at a rate of 144kbps. This standard did not provide for simultaneous voice and data. The 3G upgrade to 1xRTT, called 1xEVDO, used a slightly different access technology than 1xRTT and required an upgraded radio to access the high-speed network.

1xEVDO DID, indeed, provide for simultaneous 1xRTT voice and 1xEVDO data, in the form of SVDO. However, it required two separate physical basebands, one operating on the 1xRTT network and one operating on the 1xEVDO network. Since this was not cost-effective and would kill battery life and standby times, it was never implemented in CDMA handsets.

When Verizon overlaid their network with LTE, however, all phones now NEEDED to have two separate baseband radios, one for LTE and one for CDMA/EVDO. From what I understand, on many handsets, SVDO was implemented as a byproduct of this, as the "data radio" was designed to handle both LTE and EVDO and the "voice radio" would handle 1xRTT. There was never any "newer CDMA tech" that allowed for anything. In addition, some Sprint LTE phones DO INDEED allow for SVDO.

However, the catch: Now that chipsets have matured and antenna designs are being updated to fit into smaller packages, we are seeing a return to the "one chip" solution for basebands. For example, the iPhone 5 baseband/antenna path only allows for one technology to be active at a time, thus returning us to the starting point with simultaneous voice and data. Don't be surprised to see many new handsets that implement single baseband/RF paths to reduce costs no longer supporting simultaneous voice and data.

Even the AT&T iPhone does not allow simultaneous LTE data and UMTS or GSM Voice. It only allows simultaneous UMTS voice and data (HSPA), because it is actually part of the standard. Once Voice-over-LTE becomes the standard, ALL carriers (including "shitty Sprint") will allow for simultaneous voice and data, as everything is just part of the IMS at this point. Again, a big part of UMTS/LTE design, and most certainly not an accident.

Additionally, T-Mobile, being a UMTS (not GSM) carrier, has always had that capability. GSM itself (the 2G part) never supported it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven

Re: iPhone 5S's A7 and M7 chips?

said by SimbaSeven:

Looks like they copied Samsung's S4 (International Version).

2 processors, one running for high performance, one running for power efficiency. Samsung did this already with their Exynos 5 Octa processor in the S4.
Ultrafast LTE wireless. Most phones have this by now.
Apple is still sporting an 8Mpxl camera? Really? Wasn't that feature in the iPhone 4S? Couldn't they have bumped the camera to at least 13Mpxls?

Like I said, older (or already existing) technology inside a shiny new case. Nothing really new.

anything less then 42mp camera is outdated

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to David

to David

Re: I think I will just keep my Iphone 4 for a while

You sure you want to do that? Your iPhone 4 is already paid off... The cost of the phone isn't the major expense of ownership. It's the service plan.
pappy97
join:2007-03-12
El Paso, TX

pappy97 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall

said by Darknessfall:

Not everyone wants a giant device to carry around everywhere. 4 inch is the "sweet spot" I believe.

The battery is pretty bleh though.

I would argue that 4 inches is the sweet spot for their core and growing primary demographic (haven't seen data on this, but on observation it seems true), American women from as young as their parents get them their first phone to age 34.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Unintended Consequences of Fingerprint Authentication...

1) Stealing an iPhone... thieves will now take your finger or force you to unlock the phone before taking it... and gain access.
2) Unlocking an iPhone... Can now happen while you sleep... Whether this is done as a prank or for surreptitious purposes.... Not good at all. Do you trust your significant other?

Apple didn't consider these implications? Hope there's a way to disable this feature.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

Yawn...

another iPhone oh the joy...
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next