dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-09-17 12:25:38: Customers in our Comcast forum note that the cable company appears to be bumping their top-shelf 305 Mbps down, 65 Mbps up customers to 505 Mbps down, 105 Mbps up at no additional cost. ..

Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

What about MPEG 4 first or even SDV? for TV side

What about MPEG 4 first or even SDV? for TV side.

It's nice to see the HSI adding new speeds but the TV side is lacking next to other cable tv systems.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

Re: What about MPEG 4 first or even SDV? for TV side

people still watch TV?
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
Yeah, this is just a stunt for a tiny, tiny minority of customers. How about MPEG-4, 860mhz plants everywhere, and more channels in better quality?

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
SDV is a band-aid for frequency-hungry analog, Comcast (and others) avoided it by going all-digital from the start of their transition.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

That's true. SDV is a horrible kludge. However, Comcast and others still need to go MPEG-4.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

But SDV does work for part time channels.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

True. But it's still a horrible kludge.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

1 recommendation

ssavoy

Premium Member

where's the exaflood?

Weren't we supposed to run out of bandwidth by now?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Re: where's the exaflood?

Those idiots at the think tanks didn't account for newly developed technologies or good ol' fashioned fiber.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

The exaflood is happening, it just was delayed that the exa-1 buildout kept their heads above the high water mark.
stay tuned for the next waves

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

nothing fiber cant fix... oh wait only one major ISP invested in any fiber at all
there share holders are going to be PISSED when they find out it would cost less in the long run to just run FTTH in the first place lol
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

Fiber cleans out the pipes and lets the data flow. So much crap on the web, you need big clean pipes.
Bengie25

Bengie25 to tshirt

to tshirt
I love the whole "Exaflood" doomsday prediction. There was a point where the backbone was not able to keep up, but that's because the Internet just took off.

Once ISPs got situated and the system stabilized, the backbone has been outpacing demand.

The sad thing is that the backbone keeps getting faster because of massive competition, but those price savings are rarely passed onto the customer because the incumbent gate-keepers.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

said by Bengie25:

The sad thing is that the backbone keeps getting faster because of massive competition, but those price savings are rarely passed onto the customer because the incumbent gate-keepers.

Backbone != last mile
Bengie25
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

The point I was getting at is that the last mile only costs ISPs about $30/month for everything from upgrades, to maintenance, to customer support.

So what's the next cost? Bandwidth. Bandwidth on the last mile is free because the ISP owns that, what they don't own is the rest of the Internet, so how much does that cost them? After all is said and done, a bit under $1/mbit.

$60/month should about cover the cost of a user that uses 30mb/30mb 24/7 every day of the month. Which comes out to about 18TB of data averaged over 30 days.

So why all of these data caps? Because they can.
Crookshanks
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

said by Bengie25:

The point I was getting at is that the last mile only costs ISPs about $30/month for everything from upgrades, to maintenance, to customer support.

Citation needed.
Bengie25
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

Sky is blue - Citation needed.
Crookshanks
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

How insightful.

Why don't you get into the ISP business if you know the economics that well? I'm sure you'll have no problem rounding up capital when you pitch "The sky is blue" to your would-be venture capitalists.
Bengie25
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

Let me get right on that. I'll find me $100m of venture capital to start a business in a mature industry where incumbents control biased laws that make it hard to enter.

Might as well say "If you don't like the countries out there, form your own". It's not practical for almost anyone.
NLiveris
join:2001-11-25
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

NLiveris

a little expensive

How can Comcast justify the huge price discrepancy compared to Google fiber and those "other municipal broadband options?" ½ the speed at 4x the cost may seem a little insulting to those Comcast customers?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

Re: a little expensive

Sure it's insulting if those Comcast customers have those options, but what if you can't get GFiber or live in any of those other muni developments, Comcast is usually the fastest out there and if you really want it, and can afford it, you'll pay it.

The only other option would be to move to one of those areas and that can often be more expensive then just calling up Comcast.

And besides, these areas are lucky, what about those Comcast areas like mine whose chances of ever seeing Extreme 505 are nil? My options die at Extreme 105.

What do you do?
Justin024
join:2010-08-11
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

Justin024

How awful to only be able to get 105 mbps.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

Did I say anywhere that ending at 105/20 was a complaint? I can take that and run with it at any time. I just think it would be nice to have the same options everywhere Comcast has a system.

V0X
join:2000-08-17
Ooltewah, TN

V0X to Justin024

to Justin024
Here in Chattanooga, our local ISP is also our power company. They've recently bumped my 100Mbps services to a full 1Gbps service for a measly $69 bucks a month. When i see the prices Comcast is charging for 305Mbps it makes me shudder.

I do however, use Comcast for TV, just not internet.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to NLiveris

to NLiveris
Every day I thank God for my local, internet duopoly. The lack of competition certainly makes the high prices and slow speeds seem reasonable.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to NLiveris

to NLiveris
Well for one, it's a one-off solution. This runs on metro-e which requires special distribution switches and a metro-e headend so it's not cheap. Think $$$. Most muni projects were funded through bonds and the like, and they went fibre day one so the capitalized cost could say be spread out over decades. Comcast has to absorb the per-unit cost which is WAY more than say digging up a neighborhood in one shot.

Also, Google is highly regional, the skipped franchise obligations, and small munis could do the same. Try delivering a service to millions. I also can't see Goog making a profit, or even close to one. Last I checked munis were dropping like flies, with a major issue being no 3-play. People like bundled.

Just 3 years ago 30 Mbps was state of the art. Give these guys a break. Even today 30 MBps satisfies 99% of the population. If someone wants to plunk down $300, this is America. In two years the price may be half. Rinse and repeat.

BTW - Metro-E is a superior delivery platform to PON, so lets see how that plays out. If Comcast widens this, surely this will be primarily targeted to their money-making business customers. I guess they figured if they can get some residential yoyos to fill out their Ciena line cards, why not. Paying lab rats....
Bengie25
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

Residential MetroE is not nearly as expensive that they're charging, if Comcast actually invested into proper hardware.

If you want to get cheap prices, you need to get those lovely 500port 1gb active Ethernet chassis.

Comcast is doing it the expensive way by doing these one-off fiber installs instead of laying a bunch at once.

One actual good reason that I could think of is that nation-wide upgrade of infrastructure takes a lot of planning. Maybe Comcast was already committed to upgrading their cable networks so it isn't currently worth wasting all of that money by replacing it all with fiber.

I'm really hoping here, but maybe they are trying out some test-beds to get a feel for fiber while waiting for the next gen fiber PON systems, which are looking to be really really nice.

Not to mention, fiber tools keep getting cheaper and fiber itself keeps getting cheaper and better. If Comcast can hold off 3-5 years, fiber will be in a crazy awesome spot.

Here's the rub. There are a lot of small ISPs popping up all over because fiber is so cheap that these big incumbents are leaving a huge gaping hole in their monopoly powers.

These smaller ISPs are getting foot-holds in markets that the incumbents don't want to touch because copper sucks and fiber has fewer issues.

These smaller ISPs are now expanding out. It's only a matter of time before they start making headway into metro markets.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to NLiveris

to NLiveris
said by NLiveris:

How can Comcast justify the huge price discrepancy compared to Google fiber and those "other municipal broadband options?" ½ the speed at 4x the cost may seem a little insulting to those Comcast customers?

They don't have to justify it, as long as they don't have competition in those markets. They just keep milking the cash cow and kissing their shareholders' butts.

Can you say "CEO Bonuses"?

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

6 recommendations

houkouonchi

With no BS caps.

Unlike VZ FIOS...
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Re: With no BS caps.

Only one way to find out...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan to houkouonchi

Premium Member

to houkouonchi
I think you could change that.
Bengie25
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

I found myself laughing. Wife was wondering what was wrong with me.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to houkouonchi

to houkouonchi
I dunno man, im running 20 TB a month and VZ isn't sending me letters.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Hit 77TB and see what happens.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to houkouonchi

Premium Member

to houkouonchi
said by houkouonchi:

Unlike VZ FIOS...

Yea, cause 10TB/month is sooooo unreasonable.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

Its not 10TB. Per connection I use less than 20TB/month. I asked if bringing it down 50% would be ok. The guy said not even close i would need to bring it down 80-90%. Try more like 2-4TB. It just happens to be that so far they have only gone after people > 10 TB probably as a test run before they start going after people using less. VZ has made their opinion obviously clear that anything near 10TB is not acceptable either.

Because of snafu on what he told me on the phone I thought I had until 9/15 when really it was 9/1. On one connection I used 3TB and on the other I used 4TB. When I cut all my usage down to almost nothing on 9/6 i called the guy heading the disconnect/limit shit and he said it was iffy on whether I would be terminated on the usage I already did. Luckily I wasn't.
eco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

eco

Premium Member

105 speeds bumped?

Any chance any of the other tiers will see bumps? I'd love to see my 105Mbps service bumped to something higher.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Re: 105 speeds bumped?

You'll probably see 105/20 become 150 or 200 down the line. Dunno how long it'll take if Comcast wants to drag their feet or give us little bits and pieces at a time.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

2 edits

3 recommendations

newview

Premium Member

... just a thought

Every time I read one of these "One Upmanship" articles, it strikes me that it's just like two men comparing the size of their genitalia in the rest room.

At some point it becomes less about size and more about how well you can use it.

••••
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

upgrades?

Hmm.. didn't think that docsis 3 was going to be able to do 500mbits.. with all those extra channels in the loop, this means quite a few node splits will be necessary should it become popular.

Does this mean every docsis 3 customer qualifies instantaneously, or is it like a Verizon FIOS deal.. few geographies do, many don't?!? (we call this the DSL effect, for lack of a better term)

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

Chris 313

Premium Member

Re: upgrades?

No, this upgrade, Extreme 305 and now 505 isn't Docsis at all, but a Meter-E fiber solution. If you don't meet their Metro-E requirement, you can't get these speeds. And are stuck with a max of 105/20-250/50

»Comcast Using FTTH For New 305 Mbps Tier
»Comcast Offering 250 Mbps in Provo for $80 [83] comments

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam to tmc8080

to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

Hmm.. didn't think that docsis 3 was going to be able to do 500mbits.. with all those extra channels in the loop, this means quite a few node splits will be necessary should it become popular.

Does this mean every docsis 3 customer qualifies instantaneously, or is it like a Verizon FIOS deal.. few geographies do, many don't?!? (we call this the DSL effect, for lack of a better term)

Docsis 3.1 will be able to handle this speed. But the current technology for this is Metro-E, which is fiber.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

speed price is to much.

Ill stick to my verizon fios 60up 40 down for 60 bucks a month.

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

Ka ching

Your wallet will eventually be under attack. Bandwidth costs money!

Anon1
@verizon.net

Anon1

Anon

Verizon's move next

Meanwhile, Verizon still advertising Quantum like it's the greatest thing ever, even though Comcast, Cablevision, and other cable companies are now going mainstream with 50-100mbps internet. Time for Verizon to make 100mbps their minimum speed tier!

•••
relish
join:2009-07-21
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

relish

Be nice to see 50 jump to 100

Wonder when Blast will be bumped to 100mb

Anon1
@verizon.net

Anon1

Anon

Re: Be nice to see 50 jump to 100

said by relish:

Yep, a triple play with 100mbps, Prime HD, and Phone for ~$100 would be great.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

Re: Be nice to see 50 jump to 100

said by Anon80:

said by relish:

Yep, a triple play with 100mbps, Prime HD, and Phone for ~$100 would be great.

I currently have 150mbps, UltimateHD, and home phone for $150. which is a pretty good price. It's certainly less than I paid FiOS back in 2007. I paid 50% more and I only had 30mbps internet service, home phone, and dozens fewer HD channels,
kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime
join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

kd6cae

Time Warner, when will you increase upload?

And here I am, like most folks in Southern California, stuck with time warner cable, who hasn't changed their speeds once in 2 years, so the best we get is 50 down, 5 up. Just 5Mbits up is all we can hope for. The download speeds are good, but throw us a bone on the upload TWC? I mean I've got a friend in the UK that has 10Mbits upload, and another in Canada with the same. As we want to do more video uploads, photo uploads, and online backups, let's begin to focus on upstream speeds just a bit OK?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Great for business

I think we pay $3000 a month just for the 50/50mbps Internet connection on our SONET ring.

Not to mention add costs for some PRI's and long distance, a boatload of DID numbers, 800 numbers and a /24 of IP addresses, I think we're up to 11,000 a month.

I'd love to get my hands on this, if anything grab an AS number and put BGP on it and have some redundancy.
Bengie25
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

Re: Great for business

How do those prices work? I'm sure there's access to the f iber cost, port costs, etc, but I saw Level 3 advertised 1gb fiber Ethernet for $6k/m

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

Aerial Drops ONLY???

SERIOUSLY??? Aerial runs of fiber are required??
You need Telephone poles in your yard to sign up for this??
Old Fashioned Telephone poles???

Out here in the Philly Burbs (heart 'O Comcast Country), they don't build neighborhoods with telephone poles, it's almost all buried utilities, it's been like that for probably 35-40 years now.

First there was FAIL, then came EPIC FAIL, now there's Comcast FAIL.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

Re: Aerial Drops ONLY???

This isn't true, aerial run is not required. My drop is from a pole but the fiber was run underground down a few city blocks to the nearest fiber access node.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

Re: Aerial Drops ONLY???

Their stated "requirement" not mine... I guess they bend their own rules in some cases.

It's not like they don't already put conduit down when they build a new development, I don't understand why they don't seem more eager to use it for service drops.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Wish they'd give me FTTH

Wish they'd give me FTTH on my Blast 50/10, I think I'd have fewer issues.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman

MVM

I can haz?

Click for full size
Please bring this here, I want! I'll even pay the fees!
ryryonline
join:2010-08-09
Orlando, FL

ryryonline

Fiber

Yet, Google Fiber (1 gbps) is only $70.00 per month. Moving to Kansas City may offset your costs.
bobbyt7
join:2013-03-27

bobbyt7

Undefined article acronym

What is an ETF?