dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-09-18 10:35:42: Verizon customers who purchased the 4G LTE version of the Google Nexus 7 tablet are raising a stink over the fact the company is refusing to activate the device on their networks, despite technical compatibility. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

delusion ftl
@206.29.182.x

1 recommendation

delusion ftl

Anon

Article failed to clarify

If you already have an LTE provisioned Verizon sim and put it in the nexus 7, it works beautifully. If you go to verizon and say "i need to buy a sim card for my tablet" and then give them the imei of the nexus 7, they will slap you hands and say no.

This is of course the M.O. of Verizon and was fully expected when compatibility was announced. Verizon refuses to provide service on any device they do not sell. This is likely why the nexus 5 is not coming to verizon. We are watching closely to see if you can take a t-mobile or ATT iphone 5s or 5c and activate it on verizon. Our guess is, NO.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

Verizon

and by not being LTE Certified they mean not having a Verizon logo on the device or obnoxious carrier branding.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

4 recommendations

IPPlanMan

Seriously Verizon?

Really? Who has Google been talking to over there at Verizon? Somebody who clearly had no idea what they were doing.

Like I've always said: if someone doesn't want you as a customer, don't be one.
IPPlanMan

IPPlanMan to delusion ftl

to delusion ftl

Re: Article failed to clarify

said by Anon80:

If you already have an LTE provisioned Verizon sim

And how do you get this?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to delusion ftl

to delusion ftl
Part of the 700Mhz was to provide open access, so you could easily put an activated LTE SIM in an unlocked device, but if you go into Verizon w/ the device they won't give you a new SIM (or more correctly UICC).

Verizon doesn't do BYOP, even on 3rd party (PPC) they don't allow UICC on any MVNO.

I went into Verizon to buy an ipad, and they wouldn't just let me buy the ipad (I was going to move the UICC from my Jetpack to ipad), they wanted me to activate the ipad on a plan. Well f**k you. I had to go to the Apple store, buy the ipad, and put the UICC in.

One interesting thing is once I put the UICC in the ipad, it showed up on my account as an ipad, and if I put the UICC back in the Jetpack they disable it.

So long story short, Verizon is a bunch of commies and does what they want.

As to Nexus 5, go to MVNO and pay half the amount. Verizon can screw.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to ssavoy

Premium Member

to ssavoy

Re: Verizon

...or associated price markup.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

... Or broken carrier modified software/OS.
Tlamming
join:2001-08-21
Howell, MI

Tlamming

solution

The best way to get around this BS is to get an old smart phone and activate a new sim on it, then take the sim out and swap it into the nexus 7.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

The bigger question is...

Why does anyone want to join the world's most expensive network and get ripped off? If the phone works with T-Mobile why don't they just go with that?
JBT
Premium Member
join:2002-12-06
Odessa, FL

JBT

Premium Member

Because, as much as a like T-Mobile, Verizon has much better coverage in a lot of locations.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

Hurry it up Verizon

I suspect that every day you don't have the Nexus 7 authorized to work on your network you're losing some tablet customer's to AT&T or T-mobile.

LTE is based on GSM anyway, get with the program GSM based networks allow any device that conforms to the standard to join the network, phones don't have to be authorized.
MovieLover76

2 recommendations

MovieLover76 to Tlamming

to Tlamming

Re: solution

Not the best idea, as you'll be paying $40 for voice and text on a device that can do neither, on top of the data charges.

Best way around this BS if you absolutely have to stay on Verizon is to an old Verizon tablet activated and then use that sim. Other than that wait for Verizon to get off their lazy ass and authorize it.

Better solution is to leave Verizon, they are so freaking restrictive and not for the nexus crowd really. As much as I never really loved AT&T they have turned their network around, and it's coverage is getting really good, or T-mobile if you happen to have good coverage with them.

Verizon and there control issues aren't worth the bother for me.
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76

Re: Hurry it up Verizon

Verizon is hosed until they can do VoLTE, because all voice is still over CDMA, hence the reason many phones (istuff included) cannot do simultaneous voice/data like GSM networks.

Plain and simple CDMA is a dead technology. On top of that Verizon charges an aram and a leg.

Luckily for me, I'm on corporate $0 and the Mrs. pays $30 (corporate) for all in on Verizon. NEVER in 100 years would I pay full boat for these guys. Also if you are Verizon business they treat you like kings. My bro was on VZW consumer and they treat you crap if you are under contract. Hence why I HATE contracts. If you are prepaid, you can flip them the bird at YOUR leisure...

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5 to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

said by elefante72:

Part of the 700Mhz was to provide open access, so you could easily put an activated LTE SIM in an unlocked device, but if you go into Verizon w/ the device they won't give you a new SIM (or more correctly UICC).

Verizon doesn't do BYOP, even on 3rd party (PPC) they don't allow UICC on any MVNO.

I went into Verizon to buy an ipad, and they wouldn't just let me buy the ipad (I was going to move the UICC from my Jetpack to ipad), they wanted me to activate the ipad on a plan. Well f**k you. I had to go to the Apple store, buy the ipad, and put the UICC in.

One interesting thing is once I put the UICC in the ipad, it showed up on my account as an ipad, and if I put the UICC back in the Jetpack they disable it.

As to Nexus 5, go to MVNO and pay half the amount. Verizon can screw.

When I dumped Sprint, I had a choice of AT&T and Verizon. It is stories like this that helped me choose AT&T.

MovieLover76
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to elefante72

to elefante72

Yea, I used to be a VZW consumer, when they told me to pay full price for phone to keep unlimited data I told them to go to h*ll and left for prepaid AT&T, was much happier with prepaid GSM.

Then work offered me a AT&T LTE phone, much much happier on corporate $0 plan lol and since it's GSM I can swap devices to my hearts content.
But when you're paying $0 for Verizon or AT&T, your current carrier is great, even if you have a few frustrations.
MovieLover76

MovieLover76 to JBT

to JBT

Re: The bigger question is...

Even AT&T is a much better deal, prepaid AT&T through gophone or another mvno is a much better deal than postpaid Verizon or AT&T
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76

Also AT&T prepaid rocks (even now AIOwireless). They let you do LTE. Verizon prepaid does not, and any Verizon MVNO has to use old hobbled 3G phones limited to EvDO speeds or flash anything made in this decade. Even T/TMO 3G legacy networks (UTMS) smoke Verizon's 3G speed.

And AT&T has really stepped up it's game to compete w/ TMO and VZ (who would have guessed). And now Sprint has a new baby daddy and with cash they can fill out their network so that it is usable. They are now accelerating TD-LTE...Damn this is getting interesting, and Verizon is getting BORING...

And Verizon is the only commie network not to allow open phones on it, so where do you think they are going to go? Hmm, I want to wait 2 years to never get JB or stay on JB 4.1 forever with bugs galore and let me disable Google Wallet. Oh the shame...

My prediction is that Verizon won't be able to sit back and screw everyone, there will be much more choice. They haven't seen the sub hits yet, so once postpaid stops growing they are going to have to play ball. Now that TMO and Sprint have bottomed out, I think you will see AT&T and Verizon start loosing subs. Already AT&T is loosing 2:1 to TMO on subs...
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76

AT&T used to be solid here, but, in the last few years, they've really gone down the toilet. It all started when they had their phones prefer their weak 1900 network instead of their very good 850 network.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

tell them the size and ask for the sim for an ipad
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to ArizonaSteve

to ArizonaSteve

As much as i love T-Mobile (that's who i use here in Phoenix) my experience in other markets is that T-Mobile does not have half the network that they do here in the valley, hell we have Unlimited ~30Mbps LTE pretty much in every nook and cranny of the valley, when i leave Phoenix, i do see why some people would be upset, but since i'm rarely gone i do not care personally.

I personally know of T-Mobile's "limitations", as i've been a customer since 2006, but for a normal person it's not as acceptable to keep a prepaid page plus phone around for when needed (although the $$ savings i have at T-Mobile has well more than been worth putting $10 every 120 days on a junk phone for "emergencies" that never seem to happen)

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Hateful

There should be one technology standard. Let the companies fight it out with the best customer service and best phones. Verizon cannot survive in a competitive world where what customers do is personal. Customers do not need a hateful step-mother to wipe their nose.

Of course if it was a neutral network, it would make it harder for Verizon to capture every piece of data for Uncle Sam.

MovieLover76
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

Already headed towards one standard, LTE, band support now that's a different story.

Everything being based on one standard such as LTE, doesn't affect their ability to pass each bit to uncle sam.
The wireless technology is irrelevant, as is the devices the provider allows, if it passes over their network they can deliver your data to whoever they want.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I guess my thoughts are if there is one standard there won't be so much of the AT&T phone won't work in US Cellular areas, and maybe less dead zones.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705

Premium Member

More BS from Verizon

Verizon has "clarified" their stance again, this time to the Android Central blog:
»www.androidcentral.com/v ··· -process

They say they are still in the certification process and that they will "work with Google" to enable activations in the future. BS! Google doesn't need to be involved in the network activation process.

Their statement on twitter that "not all LTE tablets are created equal" is downright arrogant. It is true that they don't all support the same LTE bands, but this one supports Verizon's LTE bands. It works on Verizon LTE as people who have swapped SIM cards have shown.

This is just more BS... no other carrier is blocking activation attempts of non-certified LTE devices. AT&T and T-Mobile have had this process figured out from the beginning (actually long before they were known as AT&T and T-Mobile).

Verizon's stance on this is a slap in the face to their customers. Do they think requiring a certification process makes their network seem special or superior in some way? If so, they should think again... people fit into two categories: Those who don't know about or care about unlocked devices and buy straight from the carrier, and those who want to buy unlocked devices from other sources and are annoyed by this policy. The problem with annoying the more technically savvy customers is that these are the ones a lot of customers in the first group ask for advice on phones, tablets, and wireless providers. Right now, they don't have a lot of good things to say about Verizon.

Customers are becoming more knowledgeable, and carriers who pull stunts like this are being called out on it. Verizon, this is your Reality Check.

Personally, I'm glad I switched to T-Mobile. If I ever need service outside their coverage area, I'll be looking into AT&T.
banner
Premium Member
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

banner

Premium Member

false advertising

This proves those share anything plans are a misnomer.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon to FFH5

to FFH5

You are a bit delusional if you think that att is any better than vz.
granted situation was tolerable on 2g/3g gsm. with LTE it is a free-for-all, screw whoever you can screw over.

Anon1
@insightbb.com

Anon1

Anon

VZW Enhanced Certs

Verizon doesn't care about anything else but making sure that if a device goes on their network, it has passed all of their "enhanced" certification. There are probably still some issues that Asus hasn't ironed out yet, and Verizon are giving them a no go until whatever might be going on gets fixed.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to elefante72

to elefante72

said by elefante72:

Actually under communism Gov't would bitchslap VZ for abusing the working class.

What you are reaping here is the product of a capitalistic society where biz puts $ in front of absolutely everything else.
If VZ could make money from murdering and raping people, they would do that.
MxxCon

MxxCon to Tlamming

to Tlamming

Re: solution

This is absolutely the worst way!
It is not about actually activating your nexus7!
It's about putting dickhead VZ back in its place and follow the rule of the law!
If we let this slide then the next step for VZ will be to assign sim cards to specific device imei numbers!

When you go to any other place in the world carriers there don't ask you what device you'll be using. You simply buy a sim card and walk out. It's none of VZ's business how I'll be using SERVICE I PAY FOR.
MxxCon

MxxCon to ArizonaSteve

to ArizonaSteve

It's the principle of things.
People got already fucked over with network neutrality on wireless and spectrum consolidation between 2 carriers.
The very least we should do is force those bastards adhere to the laws!
page: 1 · 2 · next