dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-09-19 14:11:36: Sony this week announced that starting in 2014, they'll be using Gaikai cloud services to stream a catalog of older PS3 games to PS4, PS Vita and Vita TV owners. ..

Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

This should be interesting.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out on several fronts: competition with the xBox One, the streaming game play quality and of course the bandwidth caps.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Bandwidth caps and speed....

Google was right all along. Bandwidth caps and speed need to increase by an "order of magnitude"....

Given the average internet speeds out there and associated caps, I have a feeling this experience is going to suck for most people.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

I supposed it depends how well it's implemented. I kept expecting OnLive to stink, but people kept insisting it worked rather well. Probably not for 3 Mbps DSL people with a 150GB cap, but well for most folks.
Drakemoore
join:2005-02-03
Hawthorne, FL

Drakemoore

Sucks for those who already own PS3 games.

Means you'll have to buy or subscribe to their service to play them.

Sure most existing users already have a PS3 if they have the games but it'd have been nice to play them on the PS4.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: Bandwidth caps and speed....

"Pay to Play" is taking on a whole new meaning... and an expensive one.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

Bandwidth Cap Screaming Mercy

I don't have caps on my WISP...YET. But when I start seeing hundreds of users pulling 10 TB per month, something has got to go.

Granted upstream costs are going down, but it still costs money -- However it's the figurative last mile or in my deployments the literal last kilometer that would cost me to upgrade. That means more APs per location and that means a spectrum coordination nightmare.
Core0000
Premium Member
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Core0000

Premium Member

The Xbox One (X1)

Microsoft already came out and said that for their next system they recommend a 1.5MBps connection..(not a 1.5Mbps) for a better experience.
Tested my connection and I only ended up at a begging 1.2MBps... @50ms... *Groans* I would imagine Sony's system to require about the same speed.

So it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

*Sighs* That recent article on Gizmodo about the state of internet in this country depressed me a great deal. /random
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

My PS3 had backwards compatiblity....

And I really didn't take much advantage of it. I think I played one PS2 game on it. I don't play too many games multiple times. On the PS3 I think I've only played the inFamous games more than once.

1. I don't think I feel too happy having to rebuy them on a ps4.
2. I dont' think I have a large need to buy them on my ps4
3. When I buy a ps4 I'll put the ps3 in the bedroom which will add a bluray player there, so i'll still have my PS3 if I need it (Sorry Original Xbox, you're getting voted off the island).
zod5000

zod5000 to Core0000

to Core0000

Re: The Xbox One (X1)

1.5mpbs doesn't even meet most definitions of broadband anymore. I would imagine you would need something decent for online gaming. Then again that's why we have offline gaming, for those of us like like it and for everyone else that lives in the sticks.
Justin024
join:2010-08-11
Atlanta, GA

Justin024

1.5MBps is a lot different than 1.5 Mbps.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

this will

This will fail.. More gamers lack affordable broadband options than what the government and incumbent providers claim thats out there.. No way in hell am I going to let a game eat up 3 gb of my data from playing it a couple times because it has to stream to my device... Maybe in a perfect uncapped fiber world that everyone seems to argue against all the time because they have theirs, but whatever.. This is only going to do soo far before it gets scrapped unless something real happens in the provider of internet access world.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Cancelled both console orders...

I had preordered both the XBOX One and PS4 for launch day at Amazon. But now the excitement has worn off and I don't give two squirts of piss about either of these consoles any more. I cancelled both preorders. They can suck it.
RawHeadRex
join:2011-08-24
Richmond, IN

RawHeadRex

Good-bye

If this is successful as it is on PC with Steam, then you can say good-bye to gaming stores such as GameStop. Netflex killed Blockbuster now it looks as if streaming will kill Gamestop. The net is becoming a multimedia giant, but I fear the price will be steep.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek

Premium Member

I think Sony is dumb to win streaming business.
They made good attempt on Crackle, but PSN is very disappointing.
M$ is trying Steam model with flash sales. If Sony offered that I would have library of games that I will never play. I expect Sony streaming solution being 'meh'

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to decifal7

to decifal7

Re: this will

Exactly.
IPPlanMan

IPPlanMan

Selling Snake Oil....

When something's more expensive, they have to convince you how it's better.

Given all the associated and additional costs, I'm not convinced.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Cartridges

I'm tired of the cloud. I prefer my games in a physical format. I can still play the same NES cartridges I got as a child in 1985 to this very day.
travis5379
join:2005-03-28
Moscow, ID

travis5379

gg

So how does that work? You stream two movies and reach your cable internet cap?
Core0000
Premium Member
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Core0000 to zod5000

Premium Member

to zod5000

Re: The Xbox One (X1)

I specifically used upper case in my comment. o.o;;;