dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-09-24 12:34:38: C Spire Wireless today announced that the company is getting into the 1 Gbps residential fiber game. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
wildridge
join:2008-04-05

wildridge

C Spire Fiber

I hope they don't roll out fiber the way they did 4G. Coverage is spotty focusing on a handful of towns/cities who already had other options.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

Google's intention

It was Google's intention to show that fiber is the only viable path for the telcos with Google Fiber in Kansas City. It looks like they have started a chain reaction. The incumbents will start feeling pressure and be forced to lay fiber if this continues.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo

Fiber to the press release

seem that all the companies want to get in on this FTTPr craze, and even a wireless company is now joining in, while doing nothing. What will they think of next?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

Putting onus on communities to give favorable terms

C Spire is using the same strategy as Google - get the communities to beg for service and waive all the franchise rules that used to be applied to the cable companies. Cable companies used to have to bribe communities and their political leaders with free this and free that and with jobs for pols relatives and also pay big franchise fees. Now, with the 1 gbps carrot, the providers are demanding that communities waive franchise fees or accept very reduced fees, provide access, take on lawsuit risks, etc in order to get fiber.

This new attitude may last for awhile, but comapnies should strike while the iron is hot. Sooner or later, the pols and the voters will no longer accept these sweetheart deals to get faster access.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

3 recommendations

ITALIAN926 to Gilitar

to Gilitar

Re: Google's intention

And we're giving credit to Google, why? The real Pioneers of FTTP in this country is Verizon, a telco who you believe needs to learn from ? Google? . Thats a joke. FiOS is actually deployed on a very large scale for almost a decade. They have much more fiber run than Google , muni's and startups combined.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4

Competition is good

I live in Mississippi and cspire is the only local wireless competition. I'm certain my location won't get fiber anytime soon, but this is a step in the right direction. If nothing else, it'll hopefully motivate the incumbents to provide a better level of service. Hopefully cspire commits and this is more than a publicity stunt. It's an interesting growth opportunity as a lot of their existing knowledge and infrastructure can be used.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

5 recommendations

DataRiker to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926

Remember for most of its life Verizon offered only marginally better speeds than cable at slightly more expensive prices.

Hardly pioneering.

Offering 1 Gbit/s by 1 Gbit/s for 70 dollars a month and starting a chain reaction is pioneering
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to tabernak4

to tabernak4

Re: Competition is good

I grew up in the Delta, and I certainly hope they do something up there. Greenville sure needs all the help it can get to jumpstart its economy. It was looking extremely rough the last time I was there.

If I had to guess, though, it'll hit Madison County, Oxford, and maybe the Coast. The more affluent parts of Jackson might also get it.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

Verizon does deserve credit to a certain extent but they also rolled it out like really really bad swiss cheese; which is a joke.

lostinms
Moo
join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS

lostinms to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

It would be nice if they come to Grenada. Hell I was shocked when AT&T setup 4g LTE here. Just wish they would offer uverse. I never liked cableone.

ITALIAN926

2 recommendations

ITALIAN926 to DataRiker

to DataRiker

Youre right, passing like 20 million homes with fiber isnt pioneering, sigh. Gbps? Does it really matter? When there are real applications/demand, and its actually profitable, Verizon will release a new PON, and it IS that simple when the architecture is in place.

"Hardly pioneering" , and if Google ran FTTP ten years ago, would it have been Gbps?? Let me answer for you. NO. Funny how Google waited ten years to start running FTTP, even though the technology was available.

Google hasnt Pioneered ANYTHING when it comes to their flavor of FTTP.
ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to DataRiker

to DataRiker
PS, dont you think such a pioneering company like Google should be listed HERE? »/gbu/ Do you need like 10 subscribers to qualify on this websites reviews?
ryu4000
join:2006-11-18
Picayune, MS

ryu4000

Nice!!

Nice hoping for them to make it my way we find out soon would love to drop charter for super speed.

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

1 recommendation

Gilitar to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

And we're giving credit to Google, why? The real Pioneers of FTTP in this country is Verizon, a telco who you believe needs to learn from ? Google? . Thats a joke. FiOS is actually deployed on a very large scale for almost a decade. They have much more fiber run than Google , muni's and startups combined.

FiOS is slower and FAR more expensive than Google Fiber. When deploying fiber why not try to beat the cable companies? Verizon is just doing enough to compete. Google is upsetting the market.

Google deserves the credit.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

ISurfTooMuch to lostinms

to lostinms

No U-verse at all? Wish I could say I was surprised. Does Greenwood even have it?

I'll give C Spire some credit. Most carriers have been pushing wireless for broadband. Good to see someone going the other way.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4

I'm 3 miles from hurley where they have cableone and uverse, but dsl is the best I can get. My 2 l Iong term hopes are reasonable LTE or uverse, both of which are years away, but perhaps this will speed along atts uverse expansion. Until then I'll plug along using OTA and Netflix DVD to fill my media pc and 6 Mb DSL for the rest.

My money would be on Starkville or Oxford to see Cspire fiber first.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Gilitar

to Gilitar

Upsetting the market? Any citations to back that statement? What exactly is their penetration rates in the tiny area they ran FTTP?

lostinms
Moo
join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS

lostinms to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

AT&T only had dsl here in Grenada with max download of 6 meg but lately it has really suck for gaming due to sudden lag spikes. Cable one had 50 meg down now for a little less than the 6 meg dsl

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Wow

As a Mississippi native I can't deny my excitement for this.

I knew someday we'd have regular access to fiber (decades from now) but I didn't expect such an announcement coming from a cellular company.

To be honest I'm stunned.
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to lostinms

to lostinms

The CableOne speeds actually sound pretty good, assuming they actually deliver, and the cost isn't too bad. Of course, FTTH would be much better.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

1 recommendation

DataRiker to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926

Read the front page news here. ATT is talking about deploying 1 Gig service because of Google.

Centrylink is about to deploy 1 Gig service because of Google.

Time Warner upgraded infrastructure here and offered 100 megs because of Google.

ITALIAN926

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926

Yea, Earth shattering effects.

"talking about" , "about to" , Time Warner upgraded to 100Mbps? Wow. Thank God for Google.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Yet another City in the East recently started rolling out FTTH using the same equipment that Google had custom made and pretty much doing it the same way.

They're also going strait to 1g/1g.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

.. and its not because of GOOGLE. Google did not pioneer FTTP in the US, they didnt even Pioneer 1 Gig service ! I would love to know the number of subscribers each company has. Id bet there are 5 FTTP companies in this country with more subs than Google. Plenty of countries deployed Gbps for a while now.

They have a popular name, thats IT. Considering the massive size of their wallet, their tiny rollout is quite embarrassing.

Does ANYONE know how many subscribers Google has? Have they even released any numbers yet.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

1 recommendation

Chubbysumo to DataRiker

to DataRiker
and its all fiber to the press release until they actually put some fiber down. Centurylink will never deploy FTTH, nor will AT&T, since both companies have too much invested in their hybrid networks, dropping one portion you spent so much on is not something investors like. Let me know when you have any markets where centurylink FTTH, with 1GBPS speeds are available, at a reasonable price.
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

jimbopalmer

C Spire to Deploy 1 Gbps Residential Fiber

There is a very simple, very real reason C Spire has to run the fiber. A T1 won't support LTE. So C Spire must run fiber to every cell tower they own if they intend to off LTE servce.

Rather than eat all that fiber as a cost of owning towers, why not sell it where it passes other potential customers? I would not expect C Spire to sell fiber where they do not own towers.

»www.cspire.com/company_i ··· network/

While you can view C Spire as a wireless company, all that bandwidth has to get to the tower somehow.

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

Upsetting the market? Any citations to back that statement? What exactly is their penetration rates in the tiny area they ran FTTP?

Look, I'm not going to argue about it. Before Google deploying fiber there wasn't any other companies outside of Verizon (now dead) and municipalities talking about FTTH.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to DataRiker

to DataRiker
Only Karl claimed that's why they're building the service. That article was written with GF on the back half- well more than half of it.
TBBroadband

1 recommendation

TBBroadband to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
what is wrong with a hybrid network? Cable has one and it works just fine.
TBBroadband

1 recommendation

TBBroadband to Gilitar

to Gilitar
you are wrong. Do you know how many Cities built their own FTTH network BEFORE Google? Do you realize how many Co-op and small mom and pop telcos that have FTTH? They've had it well before Google ever thought about getting into the business. They also cover RURAL areas and now the heart of KC or Austin either.
page: 1 · 2 · next