dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-01 12:38:39: Like many government agencies impacted by the government shutdown, the FCC has stated that they'll be operating with a skeleton crew moving forward, with some 1,700 full-time employees sent home until the shutdown ends. ..

TechnoGeek
join:2013-01-07

TechnoGeek

Ah well

At least the national debt is slowing its growth. :P

FCClimbo
@comcast.net

FCClimbo

Anon

Re: Ah well

The FCC cut back to a skeleton staff is the best thing that could happen to it. Doing almost nothing except radio interference work is good. Lets hope the shutdown lasts months.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Re: Ah well

No new phones/routers/radios will kind of hurt.

Shutemdown
@steadfastdns.net

1 recommendation

Shutemdown to TechnoGeek

Anon

to TechnoGeek
Good! We are paying them to do what every year?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to TechnoGeek

to TechnoGeek
Not really. They will all get back pay when they return.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

How about the NSA?

I'll bet the NSA and spying on their boyfriends is "necessary" and still going 100%.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

Re: How about the NSA?

and indeed they are still going 100% along with the CIA

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to batterup

Premium Member

to batterup
They would be on the essential list along with The White House chefs.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

They would be on the essential list along with The White House chefs.

Maybe Obama along with members of congress could have dollar menu at Mickey D's until the budget is resolved.

I've heard of many struggling families finding it cheaper to eat off of the dollar menu at a fast food joint than to shop at a supermarket.

I'd like to be able to eat at Panera Bread and Olive Garden more often but my income won't allow it. Government is out of money and needs to live within its means.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios

there is one Panera Bread in STL that is "pay what you think it was wroth"
oddly they have made the same or more money then they did with set prices
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

that Panera is actually owned by the Panera Foundation. It's a test pilot store with a few more being turned over to them.
TechnoGeek
join:2013-01-07

TechnoGeek to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Amen to that.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
And how is this the President's fault???
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Well maybe

New device authorizations can put a cramp on the holiday season, but I would think by now if anything is going to hit before EOY it's already done.

This is more of the who cares category..

The government didn't blow up when sequester kicked in, and if we slashed the government budget 20% nobody would notice either, except the government workers and contractors who are now freed up to do productive work. Ok maybe the millions of people sitting at home getting disability, but that's the new welfare and that is supposed to come from SSI budget, not the general pool...Let see how they spin that on the administrative side.

I think the shutdown is meant to delay rollout of Obamacare to see if they can get some leverage, nothing more. Sure it impacts lots of people, but that is the point of government. If everybody is singing, government is not working.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

1 recommendation

vpoko

Premium Member

Re: Well maybe

As someone who was planning on upgrading my technician-class amateur radio license to a general class in the next few weeks, I care.
pawpaw
join:2004-05-05
Asheville, NC

pawpaw

Does the radio not work if your license expires?

vpoko
Premium Member
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

Mine's not on the verge of expiring, but I need to upgrade it to get HF operating privileges. Sure, the radio will work regardless, but I have no intention of transmitting without the proper authority.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Yea, while you could "technically" operate since your already licensed, I wouldn't either. I'm another Tech to General person, this delays my plans.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to vpoko

Premium Member

to vpoko
BS, You don't need the license back to operate, you sign Temporary /AG.

The Volunteer Examiners aren't .gov employees, they are still going to be there.

vpoko
Premium Member
Boston, MA

1 recommendation

vpoko

Premium Member

Holy cow, you're right! I didn't even consider that the license upgrade takes effect as soon as you pass your exam. Alright, I'm back to not caring about the shutdown.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
Columbia, PA

2 recommendations

K3SGM

Premium Member

yep, Good to go right after you pass the exam.
You only need to add the Temp/AG when using your new operating privileges too
If you're a Tech already, there is no need to use the /AG if you are operating where a Tech license already allows, like 2m, 6m, 440, and the like.

73, Good luck on the test!!!

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Unless you have some really bored old hams that will still toss a fit despite being legal.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

You don't mean those same "old timers" that used to complain about people with the 2x3 call "NO-VOICE" licenses?
I thought most of those guys were long since dead.

Who are they going to call and complain to, didn't the FCC just take the phone off-the-hook?

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

I never said they would call, just that they would STRONGLY voice their disapproval, lol

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

Strongly, with the kind of language that would make an 11m user blush?

75m is the new 11m, saying F*ck 30 times in under 5 minutes still breaks all the rules, but 1.5Kw amplifiers are perfectly legal.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth to elefante72

to elefante72
Well the paranoid t-party lady is already calling it a win by shutting down the mean old black man guvment.
»blogs.citypages.com/blot ··· nted.php
And it will do absolutely nothing to stop the peoples 'affordable care act'. Luckily the rightwing has not been able to privatize social security and other social benefits. Trillions of dollars that Wallstreet wants to embezzle for the eventual bailout when its mysteriously gone.

Jimmy Kimmel shows that opposition to the affordable care act , is all about the name. But in its current form, its a start to a tweaked future system.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· scvIFGjE

Bull all in all, at least we've avoided 3 or 4 wars over the past 5 years, instead of the military industrial complex profiting as opposed to 'can't we all get along?'.

Also the 'farm welfare bill' is now almost dead(not renewed) and milk will be $6 a gallon on Jan 1 2014. Plus no more subsidies for corporate owned farms with their bad farm practices.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Won't the price of milk drop because dairies aren't paid to cut back their production anymore, leading to increased supply?

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

You'd think, it all depends on commodity futures, if corn spies back up (no subsidy) the surplus effect will be offset by the feed price to some degree.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry to humanfilth

Premium Member

to humanfilth
Simple solution: rename the Affordable Care Act as REAGANcare. Uncle Ronnie is their idol.

elios
Springfield, MO

elios to elefante72

to elefante72
well this just phase 1
in 2 weeks this same congress has to vote to raise the debit limit
if this drags in that all hell could break lose

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by elios:

well this just phase 1
in 2 weeks this same congress has to vote to raise the debit limit
if this drags in that all hell could break lose

If they play games with the debit limit again it will lower the US credit rating as it did before. The world's investors don't care if the government "shuts down", as it now is, but they definitely do care if US don't pay our debts.

•••••••••••

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to elios

Premium Member

to elios
If they don't pay the debts that will murder the economy and it will be time to remove Congress.

•••

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

To the last person,

Dont forget to turn off the lights
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

duplicate post

duplicate
Max Signal

Max Signal

Premium Member

New amplifiers

We were very close to getting new amplifiers approved . This sucks !!!!

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

1 recommendation

EliteData

Premium Member

excellent !

time to go cause some major interference and turn on those old dirty powerful radio transmitters !

•••
ackman
join:2000-10-04
Atlanta, GA

ackman

Bad politics

Obama is an idiot for signing the funding bill to keep military funded during this shutdown. Had he allowed military to go unfunded, it could have fallen on the useless House of Reps, and no way this shutdown would have happened. But as long as the military machine is fed, all is fine. I'd like to see Congress member health care benefits suspended during the shutdown. While cutting their pay would do little to a bunch of already rich and corrupt pols, the threat of expensive health care would send them into a tizzy.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Re: Bad politics

He should announce that US personnel will begin staged withdrawals from foreign theaters starting immediately. Then begin closing bases worldwide. Perhaps some good would come out of it. If Congress tries to entertain the idea of defaulting on the debt payments he should tell them that we'll pay it out of Pentagon funds and they'll be held responsible for the consequences.
Squire James
join:2013-08-21
Orlando, FL

Squire James

It's Good to Know...

It's good to know the government actually shut down some useless organizations instead of concentrating purely on the ones that would hurt the American people the most so those Evil Republicans can look even worse.

The government shuts down while the Republicans are in control of Congress... it's the Republicans' fault (please ignore that the Democrats were practicing almost exactly the same kinds of obstruction back then as the Republicans are now). The government shuts down while Congress is split between the two parties... it's the Republicans' fault. Of course.

Somebody needs to slap all these guys and remind them that they're supposed to be on the same team, and when someone drops the ball they should be seeking to pick the da*n ball up rather than blaming the Other Guys for dropping it!

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

party

I BET At&t and Verizon and Comcast and a bunch of other companies are having a party because of this right now!

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Re: party

said by chip89:

I BET At&t and Verizon and Comcast and a bunch of other companies are having a party because of this right now!

Yes, indeedy -- they surely are partying!! No worries about cancelling appointments outside the FCC c/s standards and such.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

donotcall.ogv = down

Just as an FYI - telemarketers will have a field day today, as the FTC's site as well as the FCC is down.

•••••••

burn0u7
@bct.org

1 recommendation

burn0u7

Anon

OMG Really?

stupid assclowns in DC.

1) limit the terms of congress. get the old idiots the hell out of there. president has 2 terms with a max of 8 years total. make congress have the same term. dont let them run crap for an unlimited amount of time.

2) cap the pay in government. PERIOD. Cap them down to 130k a year. same with pensions. reduce that crap the hell down to max 100k. our tax money is making those assholes millionaires. if you cant make it and survive on 100k/130k a year then you're an idiot.

3) fire everyone in congress/white house cause they are obviously not doing a good job.

4) get a different president. This one is defective out of the box.

you see this douche bag on the news today? he's blaming everyone else for the government shutdown but himself. he's supposed to be a leader and the boss man? what a dumb bastard.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

Re: OMG Really?

said by burn0u7 :

1) limit the terms of congress. get the old idiots the hell out of there. president has 2 terms with a max of 8 years total. make congress have the same term. dont let them run crap for an unlimited amount of time.

The twenty-second amendment sets 10 years as the maximum.
quote:
Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to burn0u7

Premium Member

to burn0u7
I'd like to see the same term limits for state legislators, mayors and city councilors/selectmen. Two terms and GONE.

Here in Springfield, MA the same idiots get elected to city council and the mayors office and the city goes further down the sewer each election cycle. They might as well abolish elections. Same goes for Mass state government, the same clowns get elected to the state house and senate and there is only turnover in the governor's office but the real control over state politics is in the state house and not the governor's office.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Social Security and Medicare sites are up

Social Security and Medicare sites are up and running. The checks are going out as planned.

I personally think they could shut down the postal service partially and deliver only first class mail and packages. I don't care to get the junk mail that ends up in the shred bin. Most of the junk mail is either political garbage or advertisements for Chinese restaurants. We never get the Val pack coupons anymore. Grandma used to get a ton of junk mail at her house when she was living at home like TONS of charities that disguise their crap to look like bills so the seniors pull out their check books and hand over what little cash they have to charities I've never heard of like the prostate cancer foundation (my grandmothers husband actually handed money to them) or smile train.

I wish the FTC would require that charities put on their solicitations in boldface "this is a solicitation for charity, any payment made is a voluntary contribution. This is NOT a bill". Seniors can be deceived very easily and hand over their money more than they should.

••••

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

It has hit home.

My son's girlfriend just got "furloughed". She was in training to be a customs agent and just got sent home.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

?

could this delay naturalization test?
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

bankruptcy courts will be affected too....

.... c'mon Congress, you need to pay the bills so the rest of us can not pay our bills.

sykl0ps
Premium Member
join:2011-06-23
Archer, FL

sykl0ps

Premium Member

Why couldn't they have just left the website up?

I can understand sending people home, but it seems strange to put effort into taking down a website to put up a placeholder when you could of well, just left the server running?

••••
equivocal
join:2008-01-23
USA

2 recommendations

equivocal

Maybe history will repeat

Last shutdown there was the plump intern who wasn't furloughed because iterns aren't paid and the army of paid staffers who would normally be available to cockblock had been furloughed.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

sucks to be a manufacturer!

Good that Google Nexus 5 has already been approved, right?

However, what would this mean for potential new devices from Apple? :/