dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-03 16:11:48: While some analysts are already rather bubbly about Sprint's fortunes, the sad reality is the company's LTE speeds and coverage are lagging noticeably behind the other big three carriers. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Sprint slow
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

Sprint slow

Anon

The usual Sprint delays

Sprint never does anything quickly. That is why they are always trailing AT&T and Verizon and soon to trail TMO.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Sprint is looking up...it finally has a future

I see better speeds from Sprint in my area of SoCal than either Verizon or AT&T and with unlimited for life and TD coming (a few years down the road), things are looking good for Sprint. They are certainly behind now, but with Clear's spectrum and Softbank's money, there is an excellent path forward.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

Investors today are too impatient.

In the old days you invested for the long term. You worried about the stocks value in 30 years now in 3 months if the stock hasn't tripled is price they want to fire the CEO. I firmly believe the desire to make quick profits now instead of over the long term is actually hurting companies.

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

HarleyYac

Premium Member

NNJ

is getting MUCH MUCH better!
i2Fuzzy
join:2009-02-25
Garland, TX

i2Fuzzy

I'm assuming they mean financial turnaround

not the network turnaround. I wouldn't mind if it dropped by another buck or so that way I can buy some shares before it (hopefully) takes off again.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I remember ...

A couple of years ago they were screaming AT&T lagged far behind Sprint in 4G coverage, and how AT&T was touting a boosted 3G as 4G. But, at that time Sprint was in small town rural America beefing up coverage. Sprint does not have, nor will it ever have. the coverage area of AT&T. And although I wish it would come into ultra small rural areas, it is very doubtful that it will happen.

The biggest problem with rural America is it is isolated away from the rest of the country.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Re: Sprint is looking up...it finally has a future

Currently at $6.29/share, I wouldn't mind picking up some Sprint stock.

Why not.. It's almost down to penny stocks. LOL

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

Too late for "Sprint"

The Sprint name has far too much negative perception involved with it. SoftBank would be wise to ditch the name once the turnaround gets going.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to skeechan

to skeechan

What kind of speeds are you getting on Sprint ?
Here in SoCal, the lowest I hit on AT&T is typically around 25Mbps down. The best I've hit is 69Mbps down, while typically its around upper 30's to mid 40's.

My coworkers in NorCal have issues with Sprint in Palo Alto area - dropped calls are often.

Jon Geb
Long time member
join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

Jon Geb to linicx

to linicx

Re: I remember ...

Sprint likes to deploy small towns first, much easier to color a map with low density and low traffic backhaul sites.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

said by Jon Geb:

Sprint likes to deploy small towns first, much easier to color a map with low density and low traffic backhaul sites.

There are only so many technicians available.

Smaller towns have less towers, which require less people.

Not rocket science.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Around here its the complete opposite. At&t is usually around 20-60Mbps, Verizon is 10-40, and Sprint is usually less than 5, often less than 2, and that is where Sprint actually has coverage, which is rather lacking around here.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Jon Geb

to Jon Geb

said by Jon Geb:

Sprint backbaul will have a minimum of fiber or fiber like or microwave on all sites. There will be some exceptions where neither is available.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: Investors today are too impatient.

Money doesn't need to triple every three months, nor does anyone realistically expect it too. What investors do expect, is a viable and executable strategic plan to increase value. Investors absolutely worry about value in 30 years.
openbox9

openbox9 to i2Fuzzy

Premium Member

to i2Fuzzy

Re: I'm assuming they mean financial turnaround

Should've bought before Softbank signaled plans to throw money at the problem. Buy the rumor, sell the news

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to en103

Premium Member

to en103

20-22Mb with Sprint. With my AT&T iP5, I have never gotten more than 12 and usually 6-8. VZW LTE (MiFi) I get around 10Mbps.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to openbox9

to openbox9

said by openbox9:

Money doesn't need to triple every three months, nor does anyone realistically expect it too. What investors do expect, is a viable and executable strategic plan to increase value. Investors absolutely worry about value in 30 years.

Really then why did Verizon investors basically force Verizon to stop FiOS expansion? Because if they hadn't they have at least twice as many customers and in 20 years they be making a ton more money off of it. Short term investors wanted profits NOW and that is a fact. Which in the end is actually going to cost Verizon profits in the future.

88615298 (banned) to Jon Geb

to Jon Geb

said by Jon Geb:

Really could have fooled me. heck just in the last few months they bothered to offer 3G service here.

88615298 (banned) to i2Fuzzy

to i2Fuzzy

said by i2Fuzzy:

not the network turnaround.

Aren't they kind of tied together? If the network doesn't improve Sprint is not going to keep customers or gain new ones and then there won't be a financial turnaround.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to skeechan

to skeechan

Unlimited as long as you never change your plan when it changes is the key part. VZW did the same thing years ago and it was only everything unlimited for a few weeks for $69. They're still stuck with people on that plan due to they refuse to upgrade and pay full prices for phones.

Sprint will change as well as Softbank needs to make that $$$ they're spending left and right.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to openbox9

to openbox9

And with stock dropping as fast as it should and nothing really to show for it after the take over investors should be worried what is next.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to 88615298

to 88615298
Not really. VZ makes their money on the wireless company not in the landline. if VZ can get away with spinning off all of their regulated business and only keeping FiOS and VZW and moving to the VZ brand completely they would in fact do it. And I'm sure they're probably already exploring that idea as it would make prefect sense for them long term.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to 88615298

to 88615298

Yes it is, but as a whole, the network really hasn't improved yet. Even with Network Vision some areas are worse than what they were before they started changing crap.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to nonymous

to nonymous

they have MSOs for this.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to Gilitar

to Gilitar

Re: Too late for "Sprint"

They'd be smart to ditch it now. And then get rid of their management instead of keeping them on longer.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Investors didn't force VZ to stop investment in FiOS.
said by 88615298:

Short term investors wanted profits NOW and that is a fact.

Who doesn't want to profit now? That's not the point though. Companies invest for the future. Investors want companies to invest for the future, regardless of what people suggest. At the same time, investors want to understand the plan for the future and have a voice (after all, they're owners and have a right). If future prospects aren't clear, or they aren't profitable (enough), then that is when concern will be raised. Investors want to be paid now and in the future for placing their capital at risk. I don't see the problem with that.
openbox9

1 recommendation

openbox9 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
The pps decreased after the takeover announcement because of dilution and the addition of debt. It's been dropping recently with the rest of the market because our Congress is bickering like spoiled, stubborn children.

JE
JE 's BACK BABY
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
Charlotte, NC

JE

Premium Member

Sprint 4G/LTE Speeds in Charlotte NC.

Click for full size
This is in Ballantyne while @ work. I don't have great service or coverage @ home, which is not too far away, so I have to wait until I'm at work to use the Sprint towers:

I guess this is the best Sprint can do..they suck in Charlotte!
RokHed
join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ

RokHed

That looks like Wimax to me.
bshelly
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

bshelly to JE

Premium Member

to JE
No offense, but do you really need more than that at this time? Sprint is deploying a single 5x5 carrier in the PCS G block at this time. Once Tri-Band devices come out and LTE is deployed on 2600Mhz and 800Mhz, things will balance out and speeds will be more to everyone's liking. Deployment is already underway in Charlotte and other cities. I'm happy getting 2Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up on a mobile device. Verizon's 4G LTE is about the same on the downstream side of things. Upload is faster, generally.
page: 1 · 2 · next