dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-04 08:19:34: "Allowing people to pay more and not have advertising at all, I think that’s the right path long term," recently stated Hulu CEO Andy Forssell. "I'm a big believer in choice… I believe over time we should introduce an ad-free service. ..

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Now we're talking

Why wasn't it like this in the first place?

It would've saved me a bunch of time from blocking the ads through my router.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Hello, Plus already

I'm a HP user. I already pay 7 dollars for the service. If they're gonna charge more, it shouldn't be more then 10. Cause if it is, I'm already dealing with the ads and they can bite me.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One

MVM

Such a great idea, can't wait to see how they screw it up!

Watching what you want, when you want, without ads. Isn't that the reason people turned to the internet for TV in the first place? But if you give consumers what they want, they might just use it. And that would destroy traditional TV, so they will find some creative way to screw it up.
Expand your moderator at work

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to buzz_4_20

Premium Member

to buzz_4_20

Re: Now we're talking

Funny thing is, I just cancelled my subscription because there has never been anything worth watching on it. New shows take 30 days to arrive, and it's full of ads. I guess I was paying so I could not watch it on my PS3?
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to buzz_4_20

Premium Member

to buzz_4_20
To know why they have not done this already, just look at who owns Hulu.
tcope

1 recommendation

tcope

Premium Member

In other words....

"We were completly incorrect in our business model and might now change it to how everyone knew it should be. Who would have thunk that we needed to align ourselves with all the other companies that are making money in this game."

ileftalso
@qwest.net

ileftalso

Anon

Hulu Plus a doomed platform

We tried Hulu Plus and Netflix at the same time with our Roku device. Less than 6 months later, we found that Hulu Plus just didn't seem worth the 7 bucks a month, as it doesn't seem that they get much new content and the ads were bothering me.

I feel that the Cable industry likes Hulu, cause you pay and you can still be spammed with ads, like old school coax business model. For me though, who just wants to pay for the content and doesn't care about the latest Cotex or GM to roll off the line, it was a deal breaker and I cancelled Hulu.

Dear Hulu execs(cable industry really) - customers pay for the content already, drop the ads or we can just drop you

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

1 recommendation

TamaraB

Premium Member

The reason I don't use Hulu

Is that I refuse to see ads, especially when paying for a subscription service. I use and pay for Netflix, Pandora, Amazon Prime, and recently Apple Radio simply to avoid at all costs the mind-numbing, Baboon-IQ, LYING, ads.

It's too late for Hulu. Unless they can offer a better or more timely selection of shows than Netflix, there is no reason for me to subscribe to a Hulu ad-free service. Ad-supported anything is a deal-breaker for me, and I am not alone.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Content is king!

You get me the latest movies from the major studios and the popular TV shows at the same time or shortly after they air and I will gladly pay $20 a month which is 33.33% more than the $8 sub + the $7 ad revenue.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to TamaraB

MVM

to TamaraB

Re: The reason I don't use Hulu

Have you completely cut the cord?

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by DaSneaky1D:

Have you completely cut the cord?

I NEVER fell for the cord scam. NEVER had cable, ever, and will never pay for anything which forces me to see ads.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Re: Content is king!

said by Skippy25:

You get me the latest movies from the major studios and the popular TV shows at the same time or shortly after they air and I will gladly pay $20 a month which is 33.33% more than the $8 sub + the $7 ad revenue.

Heck, I'd double that $20 if the quality could be guaranteed to be 1080p and it streams to all my devices. I trialed Hulu Plus when it became available to stream on my Google Chromecast device recently. The ads ruined the experience for me, and I never made it to the end of the one TV show I started watching.

Right now my option for watching new TV shows is to record them with a DVR and skip the commercials with a "hacked" remote where I've added a 30-second skip button. VOD through Comcast does not allow me to FF through commercials, and the only available skip button, which I always use anyway, moves the program ahead in 5 minute increments. Missing 2-3 minutes of the show is a sacrifice I am willing to take to miss 2-3 minutes of commercials.

It comes down to commercials. This is the primary justification for grabbing cable TV when it first became available.

Seemingly everything that makes a company more money nowadays is only being used to line the pockets of a very small percentage of already fabulously wealthy individuals. Customer support is dwindling, the workforce continues to shrink, salaries can't keep up with inflation rates, and yet the customer cost continues to soar ever upwards.

I've said no more. This December my contract expires and I will be dropping my TV service to the most basic tier available. Funny thing is that I will still be paying more for this basic tier than I was in my 2-year contract with practically every useless channel available to me.

If Hulu Plus offers a commercial free subscription service and has enough unique content to separate itself from Netflix, I will certainly consider signing up again. If that works out ok, I may even consider going full OTA.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

What is their definition of ad-free??

Considering that "unlimited" isn't really unlimited in today's word, I'll be curious to see how many ads the ad-free version will contain.

BlownBrain
@rr.com

BlownBrain

Anon

It was like this before

IIRC, Hulu plus was like this in the beginning. Free Hulu had the ads and Hulu Plus had no ads. Then came the greed of their owners, and changed everything. Ads everywhere even in the Plus membership.

angeljoong
@bellsouth.net

angeljoong

Anon

hulu content is great for me

As I am a Korean Drama and Anime addict and have no idea what the series Breaking Bad is all about.. hulu plus has been my ticket. Like any normal intelligent human being, I HATE ADs. And, one day when the hulu ads were BLARING at about 10 TIMES my program volume... I almost cancelled the service. Fortunately, that problem seems to be resolved, but the ads are becoming longer and more frequent. A fact that has been annoying me for a while.

Having a higher priced AD FREE version would be my ideal ticket. hence I googled hulu plus ad free and came across this discussion. If I had my ad free hulu plus, my only problem would lie with being forced to continue my relationship with my cable company for isp... which they have almost tripled the price for the same speed and sneakily added a bandwidth limitation on my plan per month which I am powerless to do anything about.

All other ISP options in my area don't offer the speed of cable, unfortunately, and you need that speed to stream. If I could develop an ISP that was like the pay as you go phone service I use... one low price per month, unlimited everything... I might become rich. I'm sure there is some reason this is not possible yet, or else someone else with investment capital would be developing it. If Hulu or Netflix got into the isp business and were able to develop something like this... the traditional cable companies would go under in a day.

*sigh* getting screwed by the cable company does not appear to have any end in sight.