dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-15 14:37:35: Blackberry has taken to running "open letter" ads in several large papers nationwide in the hopes of reassuring partners, consumers and carriers that they've got ample cash on hand and that everything is under control -- despite the fact the company'.. ..

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

To our employees...

Thanks for all your hard work, please accept this pink thank you card.

Fobulous
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX

Fobulous

Premium Member

Yeah it's sad.. i know that they are selling off properties as well.. they might have cash on hand.. but the way they are doing business right now.. that cash will get burned up really quickly.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

It's only a flesh wound!

This reminds me of the Black Knight, who kept saying that he was fine, even as he was getting hacked to death.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Nothing To See Here...

...move along!
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman

Premium Member

BBM

They need to bounce back, there is room for more competition in the smart phone market! Also, they need to get BBM on my Android, NOW!!
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

I read this morning on Android Central that BlackBerry is saying a launch is days away. Of course, 6 months is days away, just a whole lot of them, so it's anyone's guess when this thing will actually drop.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman

Premium Member

Hopefully soon, but agreed completely! It could be tomorrow, next month or never.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Go Away

I've never seen let alone set up a BB 10 device, but I do know that I've never set up a BES-equipped pre-10 BB and not have it be an exercise in hair-pulling frustration. It's almost inconceivable how unintuitive these devices are, and this is coming from a guy who loved his Bold 9000 back in 2008. They've aged about as well as an avocado in the hot sun.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Go home Blackberry, you're drunk.

Major League Players
Apple
Google

Minor League Player
Microsoft

MIA/KIA
Blackberry

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

jtl999

Grrrr

My el cheapo Android phone broke awhile back so I'm using my dad's old Bold 9000. It can't MMS for crying out loud. I couldn't use data without service-book hacks as I'm using a Telus sim on a Rogers blackberry. Might have to set up my own BES server or something to get past these limitations. Or get a Note 3
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to Moffetts

to Moffetts

Re: Go Away

Ain't that the truth!

I once had to set up a coworker's Curve. OMG, that was painful! I never had to go through so many steps just to get a stupid POP3 account set up on a device.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp

Is Wireless Security the niche market for Blackberry's comeback?

Nothing would stand out more in the over croweded cell phone marketplace than a product with real security and privacy. Blackberry already has the platform at their disposal by borrowing tech from their government and business class, marketing security towards consumers, something similar to »www.cryptophone.de/en/pr ··· s/mobile but for the masses.

Or similar to »silentcircle.com
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to Moffetts

to Moffetts

The bb OS 10 devices are a lot better. Just no apps.

thisismyname
@12.139.121.x

1 recommendation

thisismyname to Moffetts

Anon

to Moffetts
I've set up about 300 pre-10 devices on a BES and it always took me about 5 minutes. As long as Blackberry exists, I support them

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to sonicmerlin

MVM

to sonicmerlin
Why use apps when a halfway decent web browser can do just that and more?
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Duramax08

to Duramax08

Re: Go home Blackberry, you're drunk.

Google isn't a real player. They're not making their own devices. They tired that and it didn't work. If it wasn't for Samsung Android would still be a little late.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to jtl999

to jtl999

Re: Grrrr

I never had that on my Curve nor Storm2

jtl999
canada

jtl999

Had what?
ISurfTooMuch
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

Re: Go home Blackberry, you're drunk.

One could say the same thing about Microsoft on the desktop.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
Why does one have to make their own devices? Google like Microsoft has traditionally been a software company. But it doesn't matter, as it sounds like you haven't heard Google owns Motorola. And I guess you haven't heard of the Moto X.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to jtl999

to jtl999

Re: Grrrr

issues with MMS or anything else.

jtl999
canada

jtl999

It's because I'm using a old Rogers blackberry with a Telus simcard. Doesn't have a BlackBerry data plan and just a GSM data plan.

Gwalachmai
@noseynick.net

Gwalachmai to Fobulous

Anon

to Fobulous

Re: To our employees...

Despite writing off 1B in unsold Z10 inventory, their bank balance dropped from 3.1 to 2.6B, a loss of "only" 0.5B. If they continue to write off 1B in unsold phones every quarter, they will last 5 quarters, or approx Jan 2015. It seems more likely they will stop writing off unsold phones, and then they're quickly back to approx 0.5B profit per quarter.
Gwalachmai

Gwalachmai to Moffetts

Anon

to Moffetts

Settings, Accounts, Add, Email, give the address, give the password, and 95% of the time it "just works". Done.

In the remaining 5%, you can specify IMAP/POP3/various other protocols, servers, ports, encryption/authentication details, and a few other things like whether to use Push, download whilst roaming, but I think the only time I needed to do that was when the IMAP server had a hard-to-guess name like "omega" instead of "mail" or "imap" or used a non-standard port or something

Repeat for "Add, Facebook", Twitter, LinkedIn, Evernote, various calendars if you want. I think I had 6 accounts set up in less than 5 minutes total.

Adding the work account involved visiting one self-sign-on page on the BES to set an activation password, and then repeat the above: Add, Email, give the address, give the activation password, then wait maybe 30 seconds to set up the secure container thing and sync all your calendar/contacts/mail/notes but then its done.

That said, I never took longer than about 5 minutes on the old BES5 either, it was certainly much quicker than any iOS/Android manual setup I've ever had to do.