dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-24 08:26:14: Broadband Reports readers are already familiar with ICSI Netalyzr, a free network measurement and diagnostic tool developed at the International Computer Science Institute at Berkeley. ..

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

iOS version next

Hopefully there will be an iOS version coming out soon.

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

Kasoah

awesome work, love netalyzr
nweaver
join:2010-01-13
Napa, CA

nweaver to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Unfortunately iOS would be significantly harder. We'd like to do it eventually, but...

1) Netalyzr's core code is written in Java, which made it (relatively) easy to port the core tests to Android.

2) We do rely on the ability to run in the background, which is what allows a user to open another application, turn off the phone, or do something else while the tests are running. On iOS, applications are severely limited as to what they can do in the background (from a user standpoint, this is actually good: you can't have phantom drains on your battery).

But at the same time, i use an iPhone, so I too would like an iOS version.
nweaver

2 recommendations

nweaver

Any questions and please help spread the word...

If there any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Also, we'd love it if everyone could help spread the word. Unlike other apps, we aren't paid by advertisements. Instead, we are "paid" in data: every Netalyzr execution adds to our information about the general health of the Internet: what works, what doesn't, and what can be done about it.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Good Luck with iOS

This is definitely an app that I doubt will ever be seen on iOS.
nweaver
Napa, CA

nweaver

Permissions wise, actually, its very much in line with what Apple allows: our client side network behavior is remarkably vanilla, just using standard API calls. We don't do any raw packets or similar activity.

Its mostly a matter of resource limitations on our part (it would be a significant effort to do) and the far from insignificant annoyance that tests can't run in the background, which since the test suite is so comprehensive, would undoubtedly be rather annoying.

UseNetalyzer
@comcast.net

UseNetalyzer to nweaver

Anon

to nweaver

Re: Any questions and please help spread the word...

said by nweaver:

If there any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Nice test. I use on Windows desktop and laptop once a month or so. Ran well on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

It wasn't in the app store yet when accessed from phone. But I did install OK from the link provided in this story from the Google Play store in my Windows laptop.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to nweaver

to nweaver
On my work network, desktop version it gets stuck on "Gathering results for checkTCPLatency" on both Windows and OSX.
Windows ID 36ea240d-2842-a2665ef8-a657-4a2b-abdf
OSX ID 43ca253f-14378-3b2c9c6f-eba3-4f9a-bc2b

Android version on 'guest' work wifi and T-mobile worked fine(other than tmobile spies on you.)
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

no?

No results found for Netalyzer.

Any ideas why?
fieroloki
join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX

fieroloki

Search ICSI
nweaver
Napa, CA

nweaver to patt2k

to patt2k
there is no E:

Netalyzr
nweaver

nweaver to MxxCon

to MxxCon

I'm currently pushing out an update that will hopefully fix that bug, we got a report from someone else of a similar problem. If you could try again on the desktop in 5 minutes it should hopefully work.

imanogre
join:2005-11-29
Smyrna, GA

imanogre

Just installed

I have a samsung s4, running test now but it won't let me use the settings button to adjust any settings (such as removing the popup that says I have other apps accessing the internet)
imanogre

imanogre

Disregard, you can only adjust settings while the app isn't running test.
marctronixx
join:2003-09-08
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

marctronixx

Sprint HTC one User

Just installed.

Where's the best place to keep up with this app?

Also is there any benefit to you Berkeley guys if I keep the app running in the background or does it stop running /executing once the test is completed?
mrdally204
join:2007-11-13
Youngstown, OH

mrdally204

Please make the APK available

We have a few devices at work that do not have access to the play store. Can you please make the APK available for download and side loading so we may take advantage of this tool?
nweaver
Napa, CA

nweaver to marctronixx

to marctronixx

Re: Sprint HTC one User

We do have a mailing list you can sign up for for announcements.

The app stops running once the test is complete, but in the future we are planning to add some basic health checks that can be run in the background and which run whenever the user changes networks.
marctronixx
join:2003-09-08
Los Angeles, CA

marctronixx

Thank you.

One more question.. .

Does the data get sent automatically once the test is completed? I did attach an email and answered the questions..
nweaver
Napa, CA

nweaver

Yes, your test results are automatically uploaded to our server. The mail/sharing link allows you to share the results URL with others so they can help detect/diagnose problems.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to nweaver

to nweaver

Re: iOS version next

I must be blind, but I can't even find a link to download the java version from the main home page.
nweaver
Napa, CA

nweaver

It runs in the web browser: click "Start Analysis". The other option is the command line client: »netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.e ··· cli.html

Robby
@privacyfoundation.ch

Robby to nweaver

Anon

to nweaver

Please distribute the app on F-Droid (for people who use Android sans Google).

RFGuy_KCCO
join:2001-11-12
Niles, MI

RFGuy_KCCO

Thank you!

I use the desktop version of this tool quite frequently and love it. Now I can use it on my Android devices as well. Awesome! Thank you, Nicholas Weaver and the ICSI team, for providing such a useful tool! And it's free!