dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-24 19:45:50: Dish appears poised to expand an already-announced plan to offer fixed wireless broadband service. Dish announced back in May that the company would be offering fixed LTE services in a new partnership with NTelos. ..

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

FAP!

"you've talked to your friend for 15 minutes." call back tomorrow. *click*
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz

sounds promising for those without wired broadband

They key here is having a decent data cap of say 150gig or 250gig a month. My oldest sister has decent speed sat broadband in Central Maine with a very low data cap. Under 100gig a month is too low for a primary fixed wireless data cap or sat based broadband.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

If you could even get half those caps you would be doing extremely well.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to dplantz

Premium Member

to dplantz
The problem with making it higher is that it really won't do anything. The caps on satellite are not low to prevent people from watching too much Netflix. They are low to attempt to prevent people from watching any Netflix. They want to restrict heavy usage as much as possible to prevent primetime congestion. Give people over 100GB and the cap won't matter anymore. It will give them enough freedom to do what they want, which more likely than not will be during primetime. There is a method to the crazy low caps. Luckily satellite companies have been willing to compromise a little, by offering more usage after midnight.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy

Dish Does Not Mean Satellite

What has FAP got to do with LTE based broadband? All Dish is doing is bundling a Home Fusion like service with satellite TV. At some point, they could even do a hybrid service where up channel goes LTE and down channel is satellite..
Expand your moderator at work
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to silbaco

to silbaco

Re: sounds promising for those without wired broadband

caps aren't needed in rural areas with fixed wireless, in fact north texas we have a company that's doing very well Nextlink, they offer a fixed wireless solution with no caps.. and is now able to push 25mbps and 5 up, not bad at all. Already they have changed the rural areas around here.. Dish with its amount of money could easily expand to all the states and provide the same service with no caps.. heck if they want to put caps they prob still put 250 or somthin to match the cable companies

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to travelguy

to travelguy

Re: Dish Does Not Mean Satellite

..and watch your latency go through the roof..

Hughes did this with DirecPC a decade and a half ago. Except the upstream was dialup.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

What hardware is used?

Are they attaching a "can-tenna" like antenna to the back of the dish? Similar to the DirecTV LTE trials that were pictured on this site maybe a year ago?

Then what kind of gear does that feed into? Cienna, cradelpoint, cisco, etc... ? Ethernet handoff? Are they also allowing customers to get VOD / PPV downloads through this, and if its a bundled deal does it bypass caps?
travelguy
Bismarck, ND

travelguy to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven

Re: Dish Does Not Mean Satellite

True. If you have a decent fixed wireless, there's probably no reason to go hybrid.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

I live in Roanoke

and Verizon already offers HomeFusion in most or all of these areas of Virginia. The data caps on HomeFusion are absolutely ridiculous, even if Dish/nTelos doubled the caps it would still be unacceptable.

nTelos has had it's own troubles over the years delivering bandwidth. They license Sprint frequencies in this part of Virginia. As far as I know, they haven't deployed any Sprint LTE. I'm not sure it makes sense to deploy fixed wireless before mobile wireless. I would be willing to consider moving to Sprint/nTelos or a Sprint MVNO if Roanoke had LTE.

In all, I'm ready for the competition. Verizon DSL is terrible in the Roanoke Valley. Cox and Comcast have great offerings, although I wish they were a little cheaper. There is already a fixed wireless company in the Roanoke and surrounding areas (»b2xonline.com/).
travelguy
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by wkm001:

As far as I know, they haven't deployed any Sprint LTE. I'm not sure it makes sense to deploy fixed wireless before mobile wireless.

That wouldn't make any sense to me either. The HomeFusion like service uses a fixed channel off a single tower that serves mobile users. Depending on how loaded the tower is with mobile users, you may not want to add fixed service, but not the other way around.