dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-28 13:19:36: The Nexus 5 isn't what you'd call the best kept secret ever, given the device manual and FCC filings have already revealed many of the technical specifics (Android 4.4 KitKat, 2.3 GHz Snapdragon 800, 4. ..

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

more rumors

Also, Vic Gundotra (VP of Engineering at Google) had the following Google+ posts yesterday night:

"Can't sleep. Always happens to me on Sunday nights. Yes working at Google is that exciting."

"Hey +Sundar Pichai you struggling to fall asleep too?"

»plus.google.com/u/0/+Vic ··· ra/posts

and Sunday Pichai is a Senior VP who oversees Android.

All of this hinting for some kind of event or info release today?
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Will likely go with this..

..if it has 32GB option (given Google won't do SD slot). Sprint version is supposedly tri-band (800/1900/2500).

»images.anandtech.com/doc ··· 20PM.png

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

I'd like the Nexus devices to begin offering 64GB at some point. Maybe not at launch, but the 6-9 month refresh would work. I filled up 32GB Galaxy Nexus in less than 1 year.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Launch date leak? MIA?

You Said Pic and launchdate leaked but I see No Launch date info in this news article pretty shoddy reporting ..

rrm
@204.108.96.x

rrm

Anon

re

I do not get what the fuss is about, there is nothing new, they are just new to the market. Android devices add every new tech and have bad software that looks different on any other brand. Apple keeps the same look for hardware with small speed bumps, yet the software is better laid out yet no new tech beside proprietary crap.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to morbo

to morbo

Re: Will likely go with this..

Amateur! I can fill up 32GB in less than a DAY!

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

2 recommendations

jseymour

No Replaceable Battery

The lack of a user-replaceable/-upgradable battery kind of puts a ding in the attraction of this device, and all Nexus devices, for me.

Maybe, someday, when they come up with battery technology that has the batteries lasting more than a couple years, that'll change. But, for now, for me: No replaceable battery = not all that interested.

The lack of an SD card slot is a bit of an issue, for me, too.

Jim
pkorx8
join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

pkorx8

LG G2 or Nexus5?

I'm torn between G2 or Nexus5.
From looking at the specs on the G2, it seems to be a higher-end phone than the nexus5. however, word from the forums is that all the carrier locked down G2's, are limited in function.
The 2 things I need in a phone are android wifi tether and google wallet, which I currently have hacked onto the sprint LG OptimusG. The G2 currently does not have hacks for both on one carrier.

The Nexus5 may be the first unlocked GSM + Sprint CDMA + LTE bands phone, which may allow switch between ATT/Tmo/sprint. We will see.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

2 recommendations

decifal7 to jseymour

to jseymour

Re: No Replaceable Battery

No battery replacement and no sd slot? They wanna be an apple or something? FAIL
xenophon

xenophon to milnoc

to milnoc

Re: Will likely go with this..

I don't put much media on phone (mostly stream from home server) and also put large games on tablet but 32GB is still pretty tight for those who experiment with different ROMs, having lots of backups. It's not enough for power users these days.

Is annoying Google won't directly support SD but the pros of this phone are outweighing the cons methinks and I can make 32GB work.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to rrm

to rrm

Re: re

Apple's OS is *nix based as well. It's just closed source. Android isn't that bad. And the hardware is different because of the open market for the product. Keeps pricing down and option available. Why lock your software to one device? The most stupid thing that Apple could have done is what they did. Over price their products and lock the market.

If GOOG was smart- they'd bring their own devices in house and build them at MOT. They already do it for VZW with the Droid line.
xenophon

xenophon to pkorx8

to pkorx8

Re: LG G2 or Nexus5?

Is odd that it appears to support all 3 Sprint LTE bands but not VZW LTE. Will be interesting if it can be switched between ATT/Tmob and Sprint.
xenophon

xenophon to decifal7

to decifal7

The battery thing is a downside but for those who upgrade every year or two, is more of an issue to who they give/sell it to. Lack of SD slot is more annoying, but Google oddly has no intention of supporting it.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

1 recommendation

buzz_4_20

Am I the Only One

Who wants a top end phone with a maximum of a 4" screen?
xenophon

xenophon

Samsung has a new 4.3" GS4 Mini with pretty good specs, but I do agree someone needs to put out 'one-handed' phones on the top end of specs.

buzz_4_20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

buzz_4_20 to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

Re: re

I'm no Apple fan boy here. But what they get by being closed has advantages.
Everybody is on the same OS, Unless your phone is too old, then well to bad.
App makers only have to deal with 1 OS version.
The OS Maker only has to deal with a limited set of hardware so driver issues are easier to deal with.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

LG, MOT, and all the others, still only deal with one OS- they're just bolted down with crap. Google doesn't make much of anything for the hardware companies. They do all of that themselves.

But you'd rather have a closed system than an open system? That does not work that well when that company controls price from start to finish. Goes from a $25 device to a $600 device just because they can.

buzz_4_20
Dover, NH
(Software) Sophos UTM Home Edition
Ruckus R310

buzz_4_20

I was making no claim of which was better. I'm an android user.

I was just pointing out Androids biggest problem. No everyone is on the newest version. I'm stuck at 2.3 on my phone because VZW gave up on it.

Now there a number of Apps I can't use cause they require ICS or better.

End to End support is better with Apple however
Freedom and choice are better on Android.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck

Re: more rumors

Ah, so the rumors are true...there IS a person who actually uses Google+
skeechan

skeechan to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7

Not unless they double the price.
hescominsoon
join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD

hescominsoon to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: LG G2 or Nexus5?

said by xenophon:

Is odd that it appears to support all 3 Sprint LTE bands but not VZW LTE. Will be interesting if it can be switched between ATT/Tmob and Sprint.

No it can't. The sim for Sprint/va(any cdma) is only for LTE and even then that is locked to the carrier.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to skeechan

to skeechan

Apparently three !
BosstonesOwn

BosstonesOwn to morisato

to morisato

Re: Launch date leak? MIA?

Copernicus... Click the link..

In white. 11/1

Was it buried some where ?

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: Am I the Only One

I can use my Note3 with one hand

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap

Premium Member

Why does Goog continue to eshew SDcard support?

Can someone edumacate me on their probable logic on this? I cannot come up with a plausible notion of how it serves them.

All I know is it keeps me from buying one.

rwong48
join:2002-11-10
San Jose, CA

rwong48 to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck

permalinks are better:
»plus.google.com/u/0/+Vic ··· ktq28KLQ
»plus.google.com/u/0/+Vic ··· v8xPTH94

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to jap

to jap

Re: Why does Goog continue to eshew SDcard support?

Google would probably end up competing against its own customers if they included "premium" features in their phones such as memory card slots and removable batteries.

I already have a Nexus 4. The Nexus 5 isn't "better" enough for me to justify an upgrade at this time.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

The only reason I will be buying one is because my Nexus One crapped out. Hate the lack of user-replaceable battery/sd card support. Like seriously, whisky-tango foxtrot, Google!

What's selling me on this phone in addition to the purchase price/cpu/gpu/ram, are the GLONASS support and qi. I'd be waiting for an Oppo N1 otherwise but they don't do GLONASS.