dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-30 14:13:01: Last week we noted that popular wireless reseller Millenicom was telling users they'd be ditching their BYOD and unlimited wireless broadband offerings. ..

bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys

What

Is you is or is you ain't, Know what's going on.

Biggles
@107.26.89.x

Biggles

Anon

said by bcltoys:

Is you is or is you ain't, Know what's going on.

I just searched Google News using the terms Sprint and Gateway.

I got a link to this thread. At first I thought, not again. Then I read the thread. LOL

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Actually..

Sprint backpedaled. Twice. At first millenicom was getting dropped by sprint and users had to find an alternative. Later on, millenicom said sprint decided to keep them, telling users they can stay on the plan (though a lot have switched to another provider by now). A lot of users that switched to another ISP was trying to comeback to millenicom when they heard this great news. At the last minute, sprint decided to take away the service after all. Its been a real mess...

»Re: anyone get the email about eliminating plans?
UnknownFact
Premium Member
join:2004-02-08

UnknownFact

Premium Member

Yep! It is quite a mess. Sprint reversed this decision again sometime yesterday and we the customers got a email around 7pm central. There is no doubt it is over this time, myself and others have already been disconnected.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

Millenicom Does NOT Restore BYOD, Unlimited Options!!!

Hello, Karl, you need to post an update to this posting. What you report ceased to be true as of early yesterday evening; these options have been taken away again.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Google Docs?

Why would any company- well customer trust a company who uses Google Docs to cancel their services? No matter how long they've been in business, Millenicom needs a new system to interact with their customers. Maybe use ZenDesk another help desk system- there are LOTS of free open-source ones. This just screams RUN!

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to criggs

News Guy

to criggs

Re: Millenicom Does NOT Restore BYOD, Unlimited Options!!!

Thanks. Edited to reflect the double, secret reverse.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Killing off

Karl-

I've been saying that for years now. The only thing is, DSLR members and alike refuse to listen. Others on here have said the same thing. Softbank took over and you can bet that they will turn Sprint into another VZW or AT&T before this is over. Why else would you need to put "unlimited for life" into a plan name if you had no plans on killing the service.

Sprint is gone and just another of the big 3. TMO is the only hope besides what resellers that are big enough to stand up to Sprint- maybe TracFone should have purchased them instead of SoftBank.

Probitas
@teksavvy.com

Probitas

Anon

translation

The numbers looked so far of people dumping their cheap unlimited plans and signing up for more expensive plans, but upon further review, that has not occurred, so you can all kiss our corporate behind and we're dumping you. Good luck (not).

fred_5857575
@107.25.69.x

fred_5857575 to TBBroadband

Anon

to TBBroadband

Re: Google Docs?

Millenicom has been great to me for over 6 years.

and their "unlimited" (~50 GB) plan has been by far the best deal around for most of those years

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband

Re: Killing off

said by TBBroadband:

Karl-

I've been saying that for years now. The only thing is, DSLR members and alike refuse to listen. Others on here have said the same thing.

You've said what for years? The only thing you usually promise and say is largely vague statements that can be construed all different ways so when one thing happens long after you say it you pat yourself on the back thinking you called it.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

The Wireless oligopoly screwing one customer at a time.

I saw the handwriting on the wall when the wireless oligopoly began offering shared data plans. The only way to implement the scheme/scam would be for wireless carriers to eliminate resellers competing against their own sales force. The wireless carriers cash cow moved from voice to data transmission.

When I first learned of Millenicom several years ago wireless data service was just a trivial additional source of income for the wireless carriers. The new data market is a new opportunity for wireless carriers to really scam their customers. Before unlimited voice plans the wireless carriers could intimidate customers into subscribing to excessively large plans using FUD. By demanding a $0.45 punitive fee for usage over allocations made it easy for wireless salesman to shake down customers.

The wireless carriers now have a more efficient way to screw subscribers than by rounding error on voice minutes. At least customers could estimate how many voice minutes they used. The data weasels now have it better since there is no agency verifying the accuracy of usage meters. The wireless lobbyist buy a lawmaker program is very successful. Go over ones allocation by a megabit and be charged big bucks. It is unlikely that lawmakers will take any action against wireless carriers since wireless lobbyist are dependent on the wireless industry payola! I wonder how long Verizon will allow Millenicom to continue to resell their service?
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to fred_5857575

to fred_5857575

Re: Google Docs?

And yet a still company that runs as a fly by not company- asking customers to give account numbers in a Google Docs website and sent via a link in an email? can we say hack and phishing???
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to swintec

to swintec

Ive said for years that Sprint will kill off the unlimited all the way around and they don't care about anyone. And yes, I have called it. Sprint killed unlimited for resellers, and they're own customers on the rest of the devices are next. Sprint is no different than T or VZW
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Re: The Wireless oligopoly screwing one customer at a time.

Millenicom can still sell Sprint by using another wholesale company, the only thing is the plans would NOT be unlimited.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

Ive said for years that Sprint will kill off the unlimited all the way around and they don't care about anyone. And yes, I have called it. Sprint killed unlimited for resellers, and they're own customers on the rest of the devices are next.

One reseller, Millenicom, who we dont know the circumstances of the situation is not all resellers. If the reseller wants to take on the risks and costs of offering their users unlimited access then they can. Would be foolish to but they could.

SAD
@192.146.148.x

SAD to TBBroadband

Anon

to TBBroadband

Re: The Wireless oligopoly screwing one customer at a time.

There are not really unlimited now. There was a cap and if you went over, you could have the account terminated.

Biggles
@107.26.89.x

Biggles to TBBroadband

Anon

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Millenicom can still sell Sprint by using another wholesale company, the only thing is the plans would NOT be unlimited.

Stop the damn FUD.

The Millenicom plans never were unlimited. Just like virtually every other provider, including the carriers themselves, unlimited is a marketing term and nothing more.

The plans that Millenicom has been precluded from providing last had a 50GB soft cap. Earlier, they were less.

No one knows exactly what arrangements Millenicom had with the "upstream carrier," nor why they were terminated as a Sprint reseller. That includes you.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Using Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) to intimidate customers, into subscribing to more costly plans than they need, has always been a hallmark of the wireless industry. Some wireless carriers really know how to screw a customer by charging a subscriber $15.00 per GB, if they exceed their plan allowance by one Byte. Particularly when wireless carriers do not specify how usage is measured. That is really gouging a subscriber.

vobguy
A fool with a tool is still a fool
Premium Member
join:2003-01-21
Mineral, VA

vobguy

Premium Member

Sprint failing to unlock ESNs

Sprint won't unlock the ESNs for the devices people were using on Millenicom. If I weren't stuck using them for phone for 2 years...

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband

they're all a pack of thieves with their low caps and high overages.