dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-31 08:05:03: Comcast's third quarter earnings note that while Comcast added 169,000 home-phone and 297,000 broadband subscribers on the quarter, they continues to see erosion among TV subscribers, losing 129,000. Comcast now serves 21.6 million TV subscribers, 20. ..

br0adbanddoc
join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA

br0adbanddoc

Nothing to Report?

It seems many times that we hear a Cxx level person state that there is nothing to certain reports and then in the near future a huge development and partnership between companies such as these occurs.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

How can Comcast continue to (try to) ignore the reality that their own numbers clearly reveal: The old models of media consumption are on their way out.

What they ought to be concentrating on is bandwidth delivery and streaming services. We have Netflix for movies and (past episodes) of "prime time TV," and we have Aereo for local, real-time TV. Comcast, our broadband provider, could've been getting that business. Should be getting that business. Would be getting that business, if they hadn't their collective head buried in the sand.

Jim

realitycheck
@comcast.net

realitycheck

Anon

»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· e/146350
Does this count?
br0adbanddoc
join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA

br0adbanddoc to jseymour

to jseymour
I think your sentiments are mirrored in their large gains of broadband subs. Gaining ~300K broadband subs in one quarter is like adding my local metro area's population to their service.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

1 recommendation

FactChecker to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
Who says they are not concentrating on all those things while maintaing an existing business?

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

Trouble, we have trouble

Comcast is losing just like CenturyLink. Obsolete technology and other competitors are giving them grief. The more customers they lose the more advertising they put out. It makes them sound desperate. Overloaded nodes and poor latency in Albuquerque make it good for us. Power outages make the whole cable TV experience just not worth having. It is so bad our City government has a fund to build a new wireless system to combat high prices and poor service form Comcast. Of course when they heard that they sounded like babies.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

It's inevitable

The idea of Netflix on another device is nifty, but by now, it's kind of pointless.
Roku has a good market - it's also not a cable box. Then there are the PLETHORA of other devices out there, not to mention TVs with it built right in. I think cable kind of already lost on this.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to FactChecker

to FactChecker

Re: Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

said by FactChecker:

Who says they are not concentrating on all those things while maintaing an existing business?

Comcast CEO says a la carte programming will never happen

Our Roku box gives us à la carte programming. So does our BD player. I will be surprised if Netflix doesn't eventually add PPV. (Tho they claim not.) Same with Aereo.

Jim
jseymour

jseymour to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic

Re: Trouble, we have trouble

We've been on Comcast Business HSI for over two years. We've always realized full promised bandwidth, and usually more.

To say that I'm happy with Comcast's broadband service would be an understatement of epic proportions.

Jim
jseymour

jseymour to realitycheck

to realitycheck

said by realitycheck :

»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· e/146350
Does this count?

I don't know. Let's see...

Can I buy just (access to) Xfinity To Go?

Can I subscribe to, and pay for, only the streams I want?

Can I use it with full HD and (digital) sound on my home entertainment system?

Would I be wrong in guessing the answers to those questions are "no," "no" and "no?"

Jim
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to br0adbanddoc

to br0adbanddoc

Re: Nothing to Report?

That's why they're there.

You call them Cxx but in reality they're no better than PR, and spew the same false statements as everyone else. The difference in comcast's case is that they're hopefully on the way out of business.

The only reason they're adding phone subscribers is because of the discount package including it. Showing yet again that comcast doesn't have things people want and is overcharging to get people to take a bundle.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

1 edit

1 recommendation

FactChecker to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour

The headline is a bit sensationalized. If you actually read the CEO's comments, he highlights the real challenges of a-la-cart vs saying it "will never happen".
microphone
Premium Member
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD

microphone

Premium Member

It's just too expensive for programs that used to be free

One of the reasons I went to cable many years ago was the high quality niche programming that was harder to find on free over the air television. Now it feels like mainstream television has infested cable yet I'm paying for it. The better niche programs are moving to channels in more expensive tiers leaving beyond hours of mindless reality tv in its place.

Channels need to once again air shows that actually relate to their channel names again and prices need to be lowered. Then subscribers would increase.

Aozora
join:2008-11-28

Aozora

Shhh... common sense like that would "make them go out of business" like they claim. You get absolutely crap with Comcast unless you pay like $80 a month for TV.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Until they seek revenge

Knowing Comcast and the rest of the industry they'll end up turning the tables and forcing you to bundle basic TV in order to subscribe to broadband internet. I remember the days when you had to subscribe to basic cable to subscribe to any other service offered by the cable company and those days may come back.

Verizon has already done so with DSL.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

Gaining broadband subscribers from telcos

Comcast is clearly gaining broadband subscribers from the telcos. AT&T and crew are too cheap to upgrade large portions of their customer base and it's paying dividends to the cable companies. Comcast is in no danger.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers

Premium Member

169,000 more VoIP ?!

whoever markets for Obihai should be ashamed of themselves...
Gdadkins
join:2009-05-11
Mantachie, MS

Gdadkins

They could add one more Broadband User

If they would EVER start offering broadband service in my county I would switch to them in a instant, 250gb cap or not. They have offered TV service for waaaaaay more than 10 years or so, but have yet to do any broadband. Alas, I'm stuck with a DSL based ILEC as my only realistic means of internet (I have Verizon LTE coverage, but no point outside my phone with low caps @ 20 Mbps) that I pay $75.00 a month for a land line I don't need, and get 4.5 Mbps that hasn't increased in years. I literally have no other options available and honestly at this point don't expect anything else to pop up. /sigh
hescominsoon
join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD

hescominsoon to jseymour

to jseymour

Re: Trouble, we have trouble

business class customers are given higher priority on the nodes..so your experience is most likely atypical form many residentials. hOwever here i've had 50/10 for nearly 2 years now..no tv and no phone for 45/month. I had been a doubleplay customer for 10 years until starter digital plus hsi got to be over 120/month. once i cancelled my tv i had also asked to cancle internet. they immediatly offered me 45/month for blast..it's been like that ever since.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

Broadband user myself

I subscribe to Performance on Comcast myself. No TV, just broadband. I'm very happy to have Comcast.
Madtown

Madtown

Premium Member

Popular speed?

What's the most popular speed among it's subscriber?

I have Performance.
watmore
join:2007-07-27
La Pointe, WI

watmore to jseymour

to jseymour

You are so very right.