dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-10-31 12:02:22: Apparently not satisfied with the more formal PRISM data collection arrangement the NSA had with many websites and service providers, new Snowden leaks reveal that the NSA has been secretly tapping into the data centers of companies like Yahoo and Go.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I bet you a dollar

Absolutely nothing changes.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Information

If Snowden has this much information about the NSA and what they're doing, why not right a book or release it all at once? Every he slips out of the media spot-light he has more information to put him right back in. The true media sources/outlets just need to give it up on him. And the nice little picture on the left hand of the post- looks like a 2year old drew it.
C Chipperson
join:2012-06-19
Las Vegas, NV

2 recommendations

C Chipperson

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because if he released it all at once, people would forget about it. This way, he keeps it in the headlines.
zolcos
join:2010-05-19
Houghton, MI

zolcos to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
I had this thought too, but now I think he's doing the right thing. If he released all the data at once, the public wouldn't be able to digest it all properly -- they'd get a little outraged about it, then forget it all next week. By dripfeeding it, we constantly have something new to be outraged about which makes it more likely that people will actually desire reform

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

2 recommendations

morbo

The NSA waging war on U.S. citizen privacy

"The MUSCULAR project appears to be an unusually aggressive use of NSA tradecraft against flagship American companies. The agency is built for high-tech spying, with a wide range of digital tools, but it has not been known to use them routinely against U.S. companies."

I think the Washington Post can now confidently say that the NSA is routinely and consistently spying on U.S. citizens. They can't even pretend that their purpose is foreign intelligence. The NSA has been waging a silent war on the constitutional right of U.S. citizens to privacy.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to zolcos

Premium Member

to zolcos

Re: Information

that makes sense, Especially here in America where we all know the typical citizen is of lesser intelligence. Release it all at once and by next week they wont care and would rather the news report the results of junk like Survivor and American Idol.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to zolcos

to zolcos
That and I think he may be holding the best back as a "dead mans switch" so if something happens to him it gets released to trusted sources. I know I wouldnt show all my cards if I were in his situation and have some sort of wildcard ready to go in the event of my death that would be very damaging to the opposing party.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to morbo

News Guy

to morbo

Re: The NSA waging war on U.S. citizen privacy

Had similar thoughts about that "has not been known to" line. When it has been highlighted repeatedly that they have their hands in effectively everything, everywhere, that phrasing seems pretty naive.
Karl Bode

1 edit

Karl Bode to Kearnstd

News Guy

to Kearnstd

With this strategy, it makes me really wonder what they intend to release LAST.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike

Re: I bet you a dollar

No bet

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

1 recommendation

rit56

Business

The most outrageous part of this saga is that the NSA is spying on foreign governments/businesses for corporations. What happened to terrorists? I want to know what companies are benefiting from this information and who exactly controls the NSA/US Government.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

1 recommendation

Wilsdom

Really all the same, the Islamists aren't fighting for no reason like rabid raccoons, it's another business war
slow_move
join:2012-07-20
Coram, NY

1 recommendation

slow_move

Google

It is funny that google would be upset given the fact that they also collect users data as if it belonged to them. Doing the same thing just for a different reason.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

I still wonder.

How in the hell did a contractor get such broad access to this many things? I can't help but wonder if there is any exaggeration to some of these leaks. After all it's his word against their word. In the end we will never see any real proof one way or the other.

It's like OBL. We have to take the government's word that we killed him and that there will be no real evidence other than their word anytime soon.

In the end I do think the NSA is doing most if not all of what Snowden claims but outside of his word where is the real proof?
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to zolcos

to zolcos

The thing is though; 95% of the people in America aren't really pissed when you actually hear the comments and read news sites about this. Very few people are upset, pissed off and alike. The rest don't care. Hell most people in America don't even vote let alone would care now.

And its to the point, where this isn't even really "news" its just a way for him to keep going. And I'm for one- surprised he's not been killed yet. But his own family has been telling him to shut the hell up.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

But I guess Snowden is still evil right?

The regime is waging a total war on the bill of rights, illegally hacking private businesses and stealing data; these are felonies.

These programs not only need to end, those responsible need to go to Federal prison and if Obama knew about this, he needs to be impeached and removed from office.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom

Re: Business

The same as diamond companies cause war to go in and steal everything. It's business.

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man to skeechan

to skeechan

Re: But I guess Snowden is still evil right?

you honestly think he didn't know?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband

Right now would be very bad for the NSA to have him whacked, Hell if he got shot in a random mugging on the streets of Moscow the press would automatically connect that to the NSA even if it were a random act of violence.

I hope he never even has a car accident right now because again the press would dive into that and spread that the NSA must have caused it somehow... The media loves a good witch hunt.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
Snowden gave the post access to ALL this, before he went to Russia.
It is the reporters doling it out a little at a time, stretching it out, milking it for fame.
If the Post's main interest was disclosure they'd release all the data at once . however item of the day or week sells a lot more papers.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
This isn't really a witch hunt though. And him being in Russia could be a good reason why the NSA is pulling phone calls from their leaders. Who's talking to who about Snowden and what are they saying. If Russia is keeping him, what are they all saying.

I'm not saying it's right, but who else wouldn't be curious to see what is going on. It's like going by a car accident and you look to see what happened.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to tshirt

to tshirt
True, especially on a dying business. But it's back to my post- about people actually not carrying anymore. When the information is gone, people will still go on without a hitch.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to battleop

to battleop

Re: I still wonder.

I question him as well. I think at times much of what is released he claims he had access to is all pure BS on his account. Even some of the images that were released. Nothing more than some drawings in paint and on notebook paper. No real proof has been shown.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to skeechan

to skeechan

Re: But I guess Snowden is still evil right?

The gov't hacks countries and businesses all the time. It's been in the news before. But what does this make it any different? Just because Google was attacked? Also I'm sure Google and Yahoo were well aware of what was going on. Google even was reported to be working with the NSA and only AFTER they got caught lying did they try to look like the bad guy.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to boogi man

to boogi man
I'm not saying I know one way or another, but I do believe it went on well before Obama was in office. Hell even back when the NSA was created.

boogi man
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

That wasn't my question. I asked your thoughts not whether or not you had proof.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Um, I don't see where you asked that to anyone, let alone me.

boogi man
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man

the reply didn't function correctly then I didn't read well. I had been responding to 'skeechan' originally.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to boogi man

Premium Member

to boogi man
Agencies have gone rogue before so I would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt. It should be investigated just how far up the criminality went. But if he did know and it could be proved he is a co-conspirator in these crimes. He swore to protect and defend the Constitution and these are felonies against Americans. The result of that should be articles of impeachment, trial and (if guilty) removal from office.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

2 recommendations

clone (banned) to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

Re: I still wonder.

You know damn well that if it was bullshit, all the powers that be would be screaming bloody murder and denying everything. They're not denying anything, they're defending all of it.

Keep your head in the sand, though. I'm sure it helps you sleep at night knowing you can go "NANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!" with your fingers in your ears like a good little child of the nanny state.
page: 1 · 2 · next