dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-11-04 16:28:12: AT&T's Digital Life home automation and security platform has launched in six additional markets. ..

rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Who will buy this?

This seems like the ATT of old where they start with a stiff price, big installation fee and every additional item is more per month even though it doesn't cost them a dime.

Perhaps I'm jaded since it's hard for me to forget the fees I used to pay for touch tone dialing and an unlisted number when both were nothing more than one-time check boxes on an account maintenance screen.

I haven't checked but aren't there competing services that are cheaper or hardware tech that you can buy for a one-time fee (assuming you already foot the bill for HSI) that sends text messages/calls when the same sensors fire? Plus aren't there remote cameras you can stream to your smart devices to eliminate false positives?

I guess if they are marketing this to the 1%, they have money to burn and cost is not a concern. However that same 1% probably already have security systems with existing, long-standing providers in that industry.

IMO -- this seems as bad as Intel thinking it was going to reinvent television.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509

Next up the wheel.......

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina
The MRC/NRC is about on par with ADT, the dominant player in the market. Actually, I think the MRC is lower than a lot of ADT packages, and last they marketed me it was something like $49 a month

Edit: yep, and they want a longer contract....and higher NRC

»www.adt.com/shop/webapp/ ··· Id=10101

Wall_E
@charter.com

Wall_E

Anon

As usual for AT&T ... overpriced

Overpriced for what they offer. NextAlarm, SimplySafe and others are 1/3 of the price for the same services.